PDA

View Full Version : powder coating please help

fivel_976
08-06-2014, 12:50 AM
OK I'm using a hk powder system and a steel plate with 90 nails through it to put my hallow points nose down.
At first it worked great but now the powder isn't sticking anymore. The spark at first would jump 1/4 inch eazy now I have to touch the clip or bullet to get a spark it takes me an hour and a pound of powder through the gun to cote 90 9mm bullets any reason y its this way now

Yodogsandman
08-06-2014, 02:29 AM
Are the tips of your nails coated now and insulated from ground? Have you cleaned the tip of your gun? Are you remembering to press on the foot pedal? Are you clipping your ground lead clip to a clean spot on your plate? Good luck, hope you find the problem!

Beagle333
08-06-2014, 04:39 AM
The above post just about covers it. Just make sure you have current flow from the machine to the plate and up through the boolits. You should get a spark at about an inch away. If you don't have the static, the electrostatic spraying just isn't going to work. Troubleshoot it a bit and let us know.
The good thing, is that it did work at first, so from there we know it can be returned to operating that way once the problem is found. 8-)

fivel_976
08-06-2014, 04:59 AM
The nail tips are clean and I use a paint brush to clean off the gun tip
About the spark I only get a spark if I'm about 16th inch away even on the ground clip

GrantA
08-06-2014, 06:16 AM
as mentioned above if the ground isn't clamped to BARE metal then that's your problem. You said the nails are clean but what about the plate? Scrub a little spot with a file and try again

kbstenberg
08-06-2014, 08:08 AM
If you can't find the problem. It may be time to try DT your bullets.

Garyshome
08-06-2014, 08:14 AM
Tumbling is way faster. Spraying looks way nicer!

fivel_976
08-06-2014, 10:26 AM
How come I don't get a good ark from the ground clip I have to almost touch the tip of the gun it the clip to see a spark when I first got it it would spark 3/4 inch now I have to be 1/16 inch to get a spark

bangerjim
08-06-2014, 11:00 AM
Use high pressure air and blow out the tube "barrel" of the air gun. Don't know where you are because you have not told us your location (very valuable when asking for help!!!!!!). Humidity could have caused the powder to build up in there. Blow it out. HF sells a long thin blow gun that I use all the time to clean the gun barrel.

I get a 1" spark. Even at a DP of ~68F.

Is the ground wire of the coax going into he gun grounded to the metal part of the gun handle? That can break and could cause problems.

If all checks out, you could have a defective electronics. There is a warranty......if you kept the sales receipt. Check it out.

bangerjim

Yodogsandman
08-06-2014, 11:53 AM
If all that checks out, I'd look at the clip wire first. I would suspect a bad connection right at the clip. You still have some sort of a connection or you wouldn't get a spark at all. So look to improve all your connections.

mdi
08-06-2014, 12:29 PM
Well, as an electrician not there to see/troubleshoot, I'll try. Trace the circuit backwards. Is the tip clean? Is the ground clip getting a good connection (the wiring to the clip clean and secure)? Try the "wiggle test" and search for a break in the ground wire (use a continuity tester and check the entire length of the ground wire). Do the same with the gun end. Check the wiring from the box to the tip, clean and secure connections? Is there any power/current adjustment? Is the wiring from the pedal to the "box" clean and secure? Does the pedal switch seem to be working correctly? Is it clean (powder can sneak into areas and defeat good clean connections)?

bangerjim
08-06-2014, 12:39 PM
Also........ if you are using that much powder, you have the pressure waaaaaay too high. It should gently flow out of the gun and dust the boolits. I know you gun electronics may not be working at 100%, but there should be relatively no powder buildup on the base you are setting the boolits on, other than static attraction. And that will be only a few thou thick on each coat. Sounds like you are flooding the boolits with powder!

Dial your air back to between 10-13# and play with the brass flow knob on the gun. You DO have the REAL pressure regulator (not the flow control valve) from HF, right? (the one with the pressure gauge). They only cost about $6.

After doing the above thread suggestions, if you are only getting a weak spark TO THE CLIP directly, you have electronics problems.

bangerjim

fivel_976
08-07-2014, 12:26 AM
I live in Minnesota the ground on the gun is starting to brake loose its a hf compresser humity is high in my shop but was when I started too is there a eazy way to increase power

bangerjim
08-07-2014, 12:33 PM
Increase power on what? Your message above did not make a whole lot of sense.

If the black ground wire with the alligator clip is "starting to break loose"............... fix it. That could be your problem.

If you are talking about the HF electronics, I do believe they are current limited to protect YOU! I seriously doubt if you can up the output. I have never opened mine up. "if it ain't broke.....don't fix it" is my motto.

Open up the box and see if there is a pot marked "output"! Just be careful if you are not an electrical technician or savvy with electronics!

bangerjim

fivel_976
08-08-2014, 12:21 AM
Well I blew out the whole gun soldered all the ground wires to the clip and the ring on the gun still week spark powder won't stick gave up and just threw the whole system in the trash. Side note if you rip the metel part off the gun it makes a nice little blow gun. Thanks for taking time to help but just wasn't meant to be. Back to alux and extreme leading

bangerjim
08-08-2014, 12:39 AM
Well I blew out the whole gun soldered all the ground wires to the clip and the ring on the gun still week spark powder won't stick gave up and just threw the whole system in the trash. Side note if you rip the metel part off the gun it makes a nice little blow gun. Thanks for taking time to help but just wasn't meant to be. Back to alux and extreme leading

Don't give up!

Go to BBDT using the #5 containers, Airsoft black BB's..........and shake & tumble away!

Gives very acceptable coatings if you follow the directions in the thread.

banger

fivel_976
08-08-2014, 06:24 AM
I'll check that out as I got plenty of powder