PDA

View Full Version : My review of the Hi-Point pistol and carbine is published.

Hunter
08-05-2014, 08:45 PM
http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a535/rangehotdotcom/Hi-Point/Hi-Point-1-2_zps942f304a.jpg (http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/rangehotdotcom/media/Hi-Point/Hi-Point-1-2_zps942f304a.jpg.html)

Before you all laugh, they ran and ran without issue.

http://rangehot.com/hi-point-916-c9-handgun-995ts-carbine/

Please take a look and let me know what you think.

tomme boy
08-05-2014, 09:20 PM
I have had the carbines for a bunch of years. Never had a problem.

leeggen
08-05-2014, 09:28 PM
Good article and the 2 sound like a nice low cost startup.
Thanks,
CD

Hunter
08-05-2014, 10:01 PM
Thank you very much for the kind words. To build a reliable firearm, with a lifetime warranty, at that price point, in America says something.

flyingmonkey35
08-05-2014, 10:23 PM
I like my carbine.

My only issue it is jars the scope a lot.

propwashp47
08-05-2014, 10:49 PM
with a ugly as sin look ,but they do the job

Hunter
08-05-2014, 11:20 PM
with a ugly as sin look ,but they do the job
ain't that the truth

waksupi
08-05-2014, 11:29 PM
Good report. I've been meaning to get a Hi Point pistol, need to remedy that. Under rated, and unappreciated firearms.

aspangler
08-05-2014, 11:40 PM
I have had the 9MM pistol for years. It eats anything you put in it. It LOVES cast.

crazy mark
08-06-2014, 12:51 AM
I have a 45 pistol and Carbine. love both of them uglies.

Hunter
08-06-2014, 01:07 AM
I am working on a review for the .45 Hi-Point now.
I have had not much exposure to Hi-Points before I got the test samples, but I kept an open mind and have a new respect for them.

lylejb
08-06-2014, 03:59 AM
How stiff is the spring in the 45 carbine?

I would expect with a blowback action, it would need a much stiffer recoil spring than a 1911, and might be difficult to cock.

I'm thinking for an older person, or a smaller woman.

6bg6ga
08-06-2014, 06:02 AM
If you did a search you would have found several other Hi Point threads mine included.

The spring on the 4595 is stiff enough that my wife has a hard time cocking it. She has now taken it over from me and has mastered it but still complains about the nasty trigger pull which feels like about 15 lbs. Other than the trigger she puts them all in the black. Good gun for not so much money and when you reload 45acp it makes it cheap and fun.

They need to do something about their trigger or sell a drop in replacement. I guess you cannot expect too much from stamped trigger parts.

tazman
08-06-2014, 08:31 AM
Nice report. Always good to hear about an American company that makes reliable firearms for the less wealthy of us.
It sounds like a worthwhile investment.

Fishman
08-06-2014, 12:10 PM
Another fine review as always. Keep 'em coming :)

xacex
08-06-2014, 01:02 PM
Great review Hunter! Everyone knows they are ugly as sin, but they work. Personally, I don't own one, but I would not pass up a used carbine, or pistol if it was cheap.

Hunter
08-07-2014, 12:06 AM
Fishman and xacex, thank you very much. I truly appreciate your feedback.
I wound up buying the test samples and will continue to see if they will hold up over time. For the price they are tough to beat.
Thanks again brothers.

GhostHawk
08-07-2014, 08:53 AM
Good job on the review.

At one point I was looking hard at a Hipoint 9mm pistol, but the wife decided she really doesn't like recoil, so we switched to a .22lr in a Ruger.

The Carbine is interesting, but I'm old school enough to prefer wood on my guns.
I guess I am just not into this whole "Black gun look bad" thing. I'm old enough to know that image is nothing, function is everything.
And I get that with good composite stocks that weather won't cause any changes in point of impact.

The Carbines are cool, but they just don't tickle the right spot to make me want to aquire one.

I've seen the utube video where Iraqvet8888 trys to destroy a Hipower by running it through all kinds of torture tests including fireing while under water, and eventually using a hot pill of range draft powder. Nothing fazed that pistol, it just kept on shooting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvvurXmAmg

In my opinion that is as good as it gets. No it isn't fancy but it isn't a thousand dollars either.
You get what you pay for, period.

Hunter
08-08-2014, 12:37 AM
Thank all of you for the great feedback.
Function over form. I learned a great deal from this review, mostly to keep an open mind.

Animal
08-08-2014, 10:45 AM
When I look at these carbine rifles, I see a platform that my wife might use as her survival/battle rifle in a worst-case scenario situation. She isn't interested in firearms enough to practice regularly. I keep a revolver on hand that she will inherit in a SHTF situation because of it's ease of use and reliability.

Ideally, a shotgun would be able to serve most situations that she might encounter, but 5 or 6 rounds in a pump action might not do the trick when there are 10 predators and I'm incapacitated. She could grab my AK, but I don't suspect she will be able to use it effectively enough to make each round count, and have enough experience with it to operate the mag change (which many people who aren't familiar with that platform absolutely hate). She doesn't like the recoil, so getting her to practice with it is like pulling teeth.

I was hoping to see an answer to this situation in this review. I see this rifle as being light weight, low recoil, and fairly simple to operate. Even though I am a big fan of the 45acp, I'm looking at the 9mm version because of its light recoil claims, and light, fast bullet which I assume will have less drop at longer ranges. The higher round capacity is also a big plus. The 9mm is also the standard round of the US military, so I would assume there would be plenty of it hanging around in certain situations.

What do ya think about these requirements?

DeanWinchester
08-08-2014, 11:23 AM
My grandpappy used to say "Boy, if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"

HiPoint takes that saying and OWNS IT.

They've gotta be the dumbest looking design but I challenge ANY OF YOU to find a tougher pistol. Get on you tube and see just what it takes to destroy one. I dare say my Glock would never have put up with what the HiPoint took.
Every one I've ever seen run and run and run and run. The weakest link in the HiPoint chain is the magazine. 99% of all malfunctions are traceable to the magazine and HiPoint takes their warranty VERY seriously. You got a problem, they fix it. I'd say their warranty and willingness to stand behind their stuff is second to no one in the business.

I had a carbine a few years ago that was jamming. I told the guy on the phone I bought it second hand. He said he didn't care where I got it, send it in. I got it back in a couple of weeks cleaned up, new springs and new magazines. AND an apology letter.
Beat that.

wyrmzr
08-08-2014, 11:49 AM
I had a Hi-Point .45 ACP for several years. It actually replaced a Ruger P89 that I sold.
The Hi-Point was ugly, but it actually felt better in my hands than that Ruger did (the Ruger had plastic grips that never held tight). and the Hi-Point cost half as much.
I did have one issue, and true to form, it was with the magazine. You typically can't leave those magazines loaded for long periods of time without them having issues. That's the only reason I wouldn't buy one as a HD weapon, is not being sure I could leave it loaded, for fear of the magazine lips stretching. Of course, they're not an EDC, either, unless you've got a lot of space to carry one (assuming you want to conceal it).
But, for the money spent, if you want to plink, and in some cases, even hunt, with one, I can say it didn't shoot any worse than anything else I've ever owned.
A carbine is on my wish list; just need to get a few other projects done first.

GhostHawk
08-08-2014, 09:47 PM
I think I would have my wife simulate a reload under pressure experience. Start with one in the chamber, magazine empty but a handful in her pocket. I think I'd use a cheap clay target thrower, and a watch with a sweep second hand.

Start slow and if she can keep up pick up the pace. So throw the first one, after 30 seconds throw the next, see how she does. Make it fun, put dinner and a movie as a prize if she does well enough.

If it goes well I suspect she'd do fine with a shotgun.

Know anyone with an SKS? It isn't light, but it is a very good low recoil 10 shot carbine. Give her a chance to shoot it or something similar, or your AK.

Worst case scenario, get her a .22lr, short, light easy to point and target, easy to carry and reaches farther than a shotgun.

My wife doesn't like recoil either but she's death walking with any sort of pistol, and not bad with my Ruger 10/22 either.
When you can get her to shoot 9mm she's deadly accurate hitting 2 liter bottles at 25m offhand. (She loves it when she can tell what she hit, where, like a bottle full of water or a 8" gong)

Mik
08-09-2014, 07:28 AM
I'll probably never buy a hi-point.

I just wish I had a better reason apart from them being ugly and cheap looking. Why can't they just be as crappy as they look? It would make my purchasing more expensive guns much easier to justify.

6bg6ga
08-09-2014, 07:38 AM
I'll probably never buy a hi-point.

I just wish I had a better reason apart from them being ugly and cheap looking. Why can't they just be as crappy as they look? It would make my purchasing more expensive guns much easier to justify.

I would never own the cheap hand gun. My cheapest guns are Glocks.
I do own a 4595TS Carbine and it is one fine shooter. I scrapped the factory sights and installed a red dot green dot sight and a 3X multiplier. It is very accurate. I've read comments about the mags and I find them laughable to say the least. The factory mags I own remain loaded as do the 14 round aftermarket clips. If you understand mags its very easy to bend the lips on the mags to eliminate feeding problems. Granted the 14 round mags didn't feed when new. A simple solution was to put together some rounds with used primers, no powder, and the bullet I normally shoot. These rounds were used to play with the magazine lips in order to make the minor adjustment needed for reliable feeding. Everything feeds and the mags remain loaded ready to use just like any other gun.

Mik
08-09-2014, 07:39 AM
6bg, you are going to talk me into one!

6bg6ga
08-09-2014, 01:15 PM
6bg, you are going to talk me into one!

Don't make me post pictures..