PDA

View Full Version : 1,000yd Shot With A Handgun? Yep, Jerry Mikulek, 9mm - This Is For 44man!

DougGuy
08-05-2014, 05:12 PM
44man, you came immediately to mind when I saw this, I know you will appreciate it, well up to the point that it isn't a .44!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ3XwizTqDw#t=107

dragon813gt
08-05-2014, 05:45 PM
Offhand, beyond impressive. I was expecting it to be from a rest.

Artful
08-05-2014, 05:57 PM
Subsonic ammo shot Double action and offhand - a master handgunner indeed.

lar45
08-05-2014, 06:21 PM
That was insane! :)

DeanWinchester
08-05-2014, 06:23 PM
I have been a BIG fan of his for years.
One thing I always wanted to see. A zombie film set in Louisiana starring Jerry Miculek. Couldn't call it a feature movie, more like a short film or maybe an infomercial. LOL!

If given the choice of facing off in firefight between 10 gangbangers with full auto AK's or Jerry w/ a single shot .22......I'll take my chances with the ghetto trash!!!

On the off chance any of you guys are wondering who this man is???
watch this one too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLk1v5bSFPw

dragon813gt
08-05-2014, 06:31 PM
It looks like he just throws the reloads into the cylinder. I know moon clips play a big part in that. But damn is he fast. I don't think I can keep the muzzle that still while dry firing.

osteodoc08
08-05-2014, 06:39 PM
Amazing feat, yes. Likely first shot on a cold barrel first time on film, doubtful. Even the mark on the steel isn't where the balloon was. The splatter is probably what took out the balloon. Still, Miculek is THE MAN.

i believe any accomplished handguner here could hit a balloon at 1000 yards if allowed to walk it out to the target. I feel confident I could even do it with a cast boolit.

lbaize3
08-05-2014, 06:41 PM
Jerry is my HERO!

daniel lawecki
08-05-2014, 06:54 PM
Jerry And the late Bob Munden are America's great shooters. I know I'll caught a little S**t but Elmer was cool too.

DeanWinchester
08-05-2014, 07:05 PM
Jerry And the late Bob Munden are America's great shooters. I know I'll caught a little S**t but Elmer was cool too.

Never forget Ed McGivern.

buckwheatpaul
08-05-2014, 07:39 PM
I saw him shoot a balloon at 100 yds with a 2" (really 1-7/8") bbl model 60....this 9mm is beyond anything I have seen....not sure I could have seen that balloon with 62 year old eyes!

Paul105
08-05-2014, 10:11 PM
Here's some up close and personal w/50 AE. The high speed photog is great -- watch Jerry's hands (complete control) -- also "I could clean it up a bit". Gotta love Jerry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULysvxSYfoU

Finster101
08-05-2014, 10:23 PM
When Jerry is talking and waiving his hands around, notice the size of them.

truckerdave397
08-05-2014, 11:30 PM
I like his reloading room.

kelbro
08-05-2014, 11:37 PM
Run the ballistics on a 147 gr 9mm at 1000 yds and check out the trajectory. Rain-bow!

williamwaco
08-05-2014, 11:48 PM
Amazing feat, yes. Likely first shot on a cold barrel first time on film, doubtful. Even the mark on the steel isn't where the balloon was. The splatter is probably what took out the balloon. Still, Miculek is THE MAN.

i believe any accomplished handguner here could hit a balloon at 1000 yards if allowed to walk it out to the target. I feel confident I could even do it with a cast boolit.

The bullet was travling almost straight down when it hit. It had 150 FEET of drop.

slide
08-06-2014, 12:04 AM
Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

loaded303
08-06-2014, 12:24 AM
Notice how the muzzle points up. Def not a dangle in the angle huh? Jerry's immortal in the gun crowd.

MtGun44
08-06-2014, 03:06 AM
That is REALLY amazing. Now - how many thousands of shots did he
do in practice to get that set up?

Of course, standing with a 1911 back in the mid-80s we were reliably
hitting an 18" gong at 200 yds. So a larger target at 5 times the range,
not easy by any means, but clearly Jerry has shown it is not impossible.

With full moon clips and jacketed bullets, you pretty much CAN throw
it at the cylinder and it will index and drop in.

Bill

contender1
08-06-2014, 09:26 AM
I have met Jerry several times, often enough to where he & his wife know me well enough to remember my name & such! (Kay usually hugs me too!)
Jerry's hands appear big because he has "thick" fingers,,, but they aren't actually long fingers. His hands wear the calluses of decades of use. And yes,,, he pretty much "throws" a moon clip at the cylinder when he's got the speed turned on.

I will say that Jerry is multi-talented when it comes to shooting. He has won many multi-gun & 3-gun matches.

And a nicer guy in the the sport is hard to find!

bobthenailer
08-06-2014, 09:35 AM
As allways im impressed with Jerry,s shooting skill !

Reg
08-06-2014, 09:52 AM
And just not that many years ago many called Elmer "a nut case " for shooting a deer, many times the size of that balloon at a much shorter range.
Ya just have to be good, thats all and not that many are "good" so they call those that can, nuts.

44man
08-06-2014, 10:03 AM
Thanks for that, all mentioned are masters and Jerry is the best today. The passing of Munden was a huge blow. Off hand at 1000? Amazing. Hard to see a house that far.
I hope it gives some thought to those that shoot large bores at 25 yards.
The nine has a huge drop so with no way to adjust the sight, he was aiming at something way above the steel. Tree branch or something way in the distance. But to hold still enough is a wonder.

waco
08-06-2014, 01:22 PM
Is it just me or does the time of flight seems pretty short. I've shot a fair amount of steel at 900 yards with a .308 and know how long it takes a 175 smk traveling 2650fps to hit the target. That seemed pretty quick for a 147gr 9mm round to connect out at a grand. Just saying.
Not taking anything away from Jerry. He is the man in my book.
Waco.

1Shirt
08-06-2014, 02:49 PM
Fantastic! Sure aren't many who could do it, but then again, there are not many who would try it either!
1Shirt!

JHeath
08-06-2014, 03:05 PM
Dang. Ed McGivern and George Farr wrapped up in one. And it turns out he's also the fastest ATV driver in the world.

JWFilips
08-06-2014, 03:08 PM
This is a super shot! Unbelievable shooting ......Thank you for posting.

(Some how I just can't help thinking of some young rascal out there on the side lines of the 1000 yard backers that took it out with his single shot 22 rimfire when he heard Jerry's 2nd shot:kidding: )

sundog
08-06-2014, 03:20 PM
Gotta try it now with a real boolit!

w5pv
08-06-2014, 04:47 PM
When I grow up I want to shoot half as good as OLE Jerry

jayjay1
08-06-2014, 05:04 PM
9mm hand gun, 1000 yds., really?

Is it a fake or a joke?

waksupi
08-06-2014, 05:37 PM
Is it just me or does the time of flight seems pretty short. I've shot a fair amount of steel at 900 yards with a .308 and know how long it takes a 175 smk traveling 2650fps to hit the target. That seemed pretty quick for a 147gr 9mm round to connect out at a grand. Just saying.
Waco.

I'm sure the time difference was because of using two cameras, and splicing the shots.

And Jayjay1, this is real.

44man
08-06-2014, 06:07 PM
I never shot that far. Most was to 500 meters, (547 yards) but the time for a boolit to get there is really short.
No way I could hit anything off hand, Jerry is just insane good.
Yes it was real and he really can do it. Who would think a NINE but notice he did not have a block either.

WARD O
08-06-2014, 07:01 PM
I used to have access to a big bore range where I could sit at the 600 yard point with my back against a tree and use my knees for support while shooting. We would place a white grocery bag on the sand hill just above the target backers. After a few shots to get the range you could bring them in real close real regularly using the M29 44 mag with lead SWC's. Hits were not uncommon. Also tried the M25 45 acp with 185 grain WC's and never could get it to register on the sand hill!

Long range handgunning is fun when you have a safe place to play.

ward

Garyshome
08-06-2014, 09:45 PM
Great shot.

knifemaker
08-06-2014, 11:48 PM
I am surprised that we still have doubters that question the shot by Jerry. When Elmer keith shot a mule deer at 600 yards with a 44, he was called a liar by some. Jerry's shot was a great one by a man who has been shooting all his life and shoots many thousands of rounds a month to keep his accuracy edge.
I also remember watching a video of Bob Munden recently hitting a balloon at 600 yards while standing with no support. He did it to show that Elmer Keith was probably telling the truth about his 600 yard shot that he did from the prone position. Oh yeah! Bob Munden pulled that 600 yard shot off with a 38 special S&W snub nose revolver with 2 inch barrel. The feat was filmed by the "Impossible Shots" film crew for viewing on television.

jayjay1
08-07-2014, 06:41 AM
Well, I know Jerry Miculek and he is one of the, maybe, the greatest handgun shooter on this planet.

But most people would have a problem to hit that balloon with a big bore rifle and a scope, including me.

Jerry is an awesome shot, hands down.

Geraldo
08-07-2014, 07:52 AM
Well, I guess that trumps my 9mm shots at steel at 60 yards last week. :)

I don't care if he took 1000 practice shots, just hitting the steel OFFHAND is impressive at that range.

1Shirt
08-07-2014, 05:21 PM
Ya need also to remember Elmer and the outhouse!
1Shirt!

robertbank
08-07-2014, 05:40 PM
To be clear he didn't hit the balloon, he hit the steel and the splatter broke the balloon. Heck of a shot from one heck of a shooter.

Take Care

Bob

loaded303
08-07-2014, 05:49 PM
Anybody got their own video of their own shot? Jerry is good and has proven himself over the yrs. Why down play a living legend. He don't play. Best wishes

robertbank
08-07-2014, 06:15 PM
You got that right. I couldn't see the steel he was shooting at let alone the balloon.

He can fire 6 shots out of his revolver faster than I can get two shots off. He is a machine!

Take Care

Bob

Cornbread
08-07-2014, 06:25 PM
A lot of guys on this thread have brought up Elmer and stories about him. Is there a book where you all read these stories of his exploits? I'd like to read it if it is in book form somewhere that I can get a hold of. Thanks in advance for any info.

MBTcustom
08-07-2014, 07:00 PM
Robert is right. The impact was not where the balloon was. That takes nothing from the man (whom I have enormous respect for). The fact that he hit the plate at all was an amazing feat. The fact that he said he was going to pop the balloon and did just adds a degree of awesome to it (besides, his exact words were he was going to pop the balloon. He never said he was going to hit it).

I have never taken a shot at 1000 yards with a handgun before. You would have to be a heck of a shot just so that the spotter could see the boolit impact!
I too have seen Jerry's world record with a handgun when I was younger and he inspired many of us to reach further.
Truly one of the greatest shooters of my time, and by all accounts a very humble gentleman to boot (unlike some others that have been mentioned).

One thing is for sure. Anybody who says that pistols cannot be shot accurately are limiting themselves. Nothing is impossible for a man who knows his firearm.

loaded303
08-07-2014, 07:00 PM
I'll buy it.

robertbank
08-07-2014, 07:17 PM
A lot of guys on this thread have brought up Elmer and stories about him. Is there a book where you all read these stories of his exploits? I'd like to read it if it is in book form somewhere that I can get a hold of. Thanks in advance for any info.
The book is "Hell I was There" by Elmer Keith. I read it last summer. Very good book. I didn't realize he had shot game up in my birth Province - Alberta and had spent time in Edmonton, my home town. The only questionable statement I think that is just not true was he says he shot an Elk through the spine taking out 4" of the spinal cord and the Elk ran 50 yards or so. Sorry that just can't happen. Turn the electricity off to the back legs and they don't run anymore. Otherwise a great read by a man who indeed was there.

Take Care

Bob

Cornbread
08-07-2014, 08:19 PM
The book is "Hell I was There" by Elmer Keith. I read it last summer. Very good book. I didn't realize he had shot game up in my birth Province - Alberta and had spent time in Edmonton, my home town. The only questionable statement I think that is just not true was he says he shot an Elk through the spine taking out 4" of the spinal cord and the Elk ran 50 yards or so. Sorry that just can't happen. Turn the electricity off to the back legs and they don't run anymore. Otherwise a great read by a man who indeed was there.

Take Care

Bob

Thanks. I'll check it out. I don't know about 50 yards but two years ago I shot a buck with a .308. Hit it directly in the spine behind the rib cage but before the pelvis. Completely took out a section of the spine and backbone, literally nothing there and it made it a good 30 yards before it was like somebody shut a switch off on its back legs. Second shot put it down for good. One of the few times I have ever had to shoot something more than one time. It was almost like its muscles were still responding to the commands the brain had sent for it to run prior to the bullet strike. That's the only explanation I have for it because it should have lost its back legs on the spot. Anyway here is a pic of the buck and myself, the photo crops out where the first bullet hit because it was a mess, so I know they can go a ways after that happens but I have no good explanation for why or how:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/AndyTheCornbread/MeThisNovember_zps217b6ba1.jpg

robertbank
08-07-2014, 10:26 PM
Very Nice. Shot one years ago through the spine just above the shoulder. Finished with a revolver shot in the ear. Poor thing, I felt bad afterwards. He had crawled about 15 feet from where he was shot. Great on the table though.

Take Care

Bob

TXGunNut
08-07-2014, 10:47 PM
Back when I was a comp revolver shooter the thing we talked about was that Miculek's guns were pretty much stock S&W's, even after the folks in Springfield began sponsoring him. I doubt that has changed but quite honestly haven't kept up with him. One of his running buddies is a member where I shoot, will have to ask him.

JHeath
08-07-2014, 11:44 PM
I watched it again. The ballon pops . . . then almost a 1.5 second interval . . . then the dent suddenly appears on the steel plate.

It's not an audio-sync issue. Watch it with the sound off.

Explanation?

Uncle R.
08-08-2014, 12:04 AM
I watched him shoot many times at Second Chance matches way back in the 80s. He was lightning fast in those days - but I think if the videos are accurate he's even faster now. He would practice on "the back range" just shooting into the dirt and checking his time on the box. Over and over again and again - "Beep. BangBangBangBangBang" and then look at the readout. He was just trying to get his cadence right - he knew how fast he wanted to be and practiced to shoot at that speed.
<
It was almost unbelievable watching him shoot pins - he'd hit the fifth pin before the first one cleared the table, or so it seemed. No trickster, no charlatan, he was the real deal. Amazing accuracy and superhuman speed.
<
I didn't know him well but I never got the sense that he was too full of himself to mix with the commoners. I believe he is exactly as he appears; an all-around good guy who shoots like a machine.
<
A very fast and accurate machine.
<
Uncle R.

jhalcott
08-08-2014, 12:05 AM
MAYBE ,just maybe the bullet HIT the balloon and was deflected to the plate. It WAS going quite slow by then wasn't it?:bigsmyl2:

triggerhappy243
08-08-2014, 12:24 AM
I watched the video on you tube. he pointed to where the bullet struck the plate. lead fragments cut the balloon.

MBTcustom
08-08-2014, 12:38 AM
If you search, you can find a video of him shooting a DE 500AE. What is really amazing about that video is that they shoot slow motion shots of him emtying that big gun with extreme prejudice. If you pay attention to his form, it is picture perfect in the slo-mo. In fact, if you didn't know how fast he was actually racking off the shots, you would swear he was just taking his time and shooting.
Amazing.

JHeath
08-08-2014, 01:10 AM
I watched the video on you tube. he pointed to where the bullet struck the plate. lead fragments cut the balloon.

Watch the video again.

1) The balloon pops
2) still no dent on the plate
3) a pause of over a second, probably close to 1.5 seconds
4) the dent suddenly appears on the plate.

There is no way fragments cut the balloon BEFORE the bullet hit the plate.

The video doesn't make sense.

JHeath
08-08-2014, 01:24 AM
112899112900Here's a couple of stills. In the first, the ballon is gone, but there's no dent on the plate. This is at 1:07 on the video.

In the second, the dent appears. This is at 1:08.

How could the balloon pop more than one second before the bullet hits the plate?

smlekid
08-08-2014, 07:06 AM
sorry guys but I shoot F class with a dedicated rifle shooting .600 BC bullets at 3000 fps and those things will drift
from a 100y yard zero trajectory is 263 inches (almost 23 feet!!) drift in a 10 mph cross wind is 64 inches the Pistol if it is doing 1000fps with a BC of .212 will require 231 feet from a 100y zero and the drift in a 10 mph wind is 23.5 feet the shooter may be the best pistol shooter in the world but the ballistics just don't add up
still I bet S&W and hornady will sell a lot of products!!!
oh and time of flight for the handgun is 4.3 seconds that's a lot of time for a wind change :)

kenyerian
08-08-2014, 08:03 AM
Anyone interested in long range handgunning should check out 40xmike's post on specialty pistols where he shoots a target one mile away with a 243 WSSM XP-100. There are some very dedicated shooters on that forum.

PAT303
08-08-2014, 08:54 AM
To shoot a 1000 yards a BPCR needs a vernier rear sight a few inches high yet a revolver gets buy with a red dot type of sight with almost no muzzle elevation even though the trajectory is 231 feet?. Pat

Cornbread
08-08-2014, 09:31 AM
How could the balloon pop more than one second before the bullet hits the plate?

Different video speeds maybe? The one in the sub frame could be slower to show the shot better.....or poor editing when they spliced the frames together they got some out of order. His camera and and editing crews don't exactly seem like they are professionals so there could be any number of reasons why this would happen with cheap video editing software or just inexperienced users of good video editing software. Sure it could be faked but the guy hasn't faked anything before, why would he start now and risk jeopardizing his revenue stream and his credibility etc? It wouldn't make any sense for him to fake it. I think other explanations for the image sequence are a lot more likely.

dmize
08-08-2014, 10:45 AM
As a competitive archer that has done some "trick shots" its all about practice and shooting a LOT!!!!
This stuff isn't impossible by any means its just not very many people take the time and effort to do the work.
Somewhere in an old hayfield or canyon or indoor range the next "Jerry" is bustin his *** to get to that point.
And as for the long range/BPCR "calculations". I would be willing to bet Jerry knew all of that too.
And as for videos,Byron Ferguson told me that for his really hard shots video was awesome,he got to shoot when he wanted too, I.E. weather conditions and also because of the all powerful EDIT button that made the 45 misses disappear.
And finally,with all of Jerrys' recorded achievements,not to mention his own good name,reputation and sponsorship. do you really think he would be stupid enough to fake this?

JHeath
08-08-2014, 11:13 AM
If Jerry Miculek says he made the shot, he made the shot. He has demonstrated many accomplishments in front of people that are "unbelievable", but unquestionable.

But the video shows the balloon popping roughly 1 to 1.5 seconds before the dent appears. Suddenly there's a spot on the white paint, but significantly after the balloon pops.

Watch the area on the plate and notice when the dent appears.

It's pretty noticeable. And the inset does not appear to be slow-motion so I don't think that explains it.

Love Life
08-08-2014, 11:17 AM
If Jerry says he did it, I take it as the gospel.

JHeath
08-08-2014, 11:24 AM
If Mr. Miculek told me he made a 1000yd shot, with no video or witnesses at all, that would be good enough for me. His credibilty is 100%.

But somebody please explain how the balloon pops a second or more before the bullet appears to strike the plate.

waksupi
08-08-2014, 11:26 AM
If you have never shot pistols at long range, you really don't have a good frame of reference as to what is possible. I have shot at around 900 yards, and it doesn't take all that many shots to figure the sight picture, and get in the neighborhood of the target, and hitting it with enough regularity to make it interesting. You end up with a reference point you are "Seeing" on the barrel to get on target.

JHeath
08-08-2014, 11:37 AM
I have shot .41 mag at 200yds enough to know that Mr. Miculek could do better at 1000yds with a 9mm. I am sure he is capable of making the shot.

But watch the dent appear in the video, then explain the timing of the balloon pop.

Uncle R.
08-08-2014, 12:01 PM
Elmer didn't do it either.
<
<
:bigsmyl2:

Cornbread
08-08-2014, 12:04 PM
I think the timing thing is probably poor editing, they got frames in the wrong order when they did the inset work. If you aren't paying attention or are inexperienced it is pretty easy to do. I can ask my wife for more specifics if you want. Her education is in the making and editing of video and audio etc. She used to do it for advertising agencies and news stations etc. She catches mistakes like this in movies and so forth all the time. Honestly sometimes it is annoying to watch stuff with her because of this. She is will point out mistakes mid-movie, much to my annoyance :) She does the same thing with photos. I've given up showing her pictures on facebook. She just points out everywhere they made filtering or editing mistakes.

Seancass
08-08-2014, 03:43 PM
I believe Jerry's soon to be son-in-law does all his video work. Not some professionals paid big bucks to be perfect.

robertbank
08-08-2014, 05:57 PM
I watched the video again. The steel rings and the balloon breaks exactly at the same time. The edit pictures are just out of sync, Watch the video again. You hear ding and the ballon breaks in unison at 1.07

Bob

Love Life
08-08-2014, 08:07 PM
If Jerry walked in and said "I just ate a whole elephant...in one bite!!" I would respond "Well hot diggity dang!! You must need to use the head!!"

JHeath
08-08-2014, 08:39 PM
I watched the video again. The steel rings and the balloon breaks exactly at the same time. The edit pictures are just out of sync, Watch the video again. You hear ding and the ballon breaks in unison at 1.07

Bob

Bob, turn off the audio. This is a 100% visual discrepancy.

There's a blank white space below and to the left of the balloon. Watch there for the dent to appear.

The balloon pops at 1:07, fine. But still no dent, just clean white paint.

Then after about 1 or 1.5 seconds, the bullet spatters just where Mr. Miculek later finds the dent.

How can you have 1+ seconds of video of white steel plate after the balloon pops, but before the bullet arrives?

JHeath
08-08-2014, 08:52 PM
This can hardly be an editing issue. First, they surely have more sense than to 'improve' the sequence of the bullet strike by pasting up an image. Second, they would have to find a probably nonexistent nanosecond of video that shows the the plate with the balloon gone, but the bullet not yet arrived, then multiply it into 1+ seconds of tape, then insert it in the sequence. It doesn't make sense.

Nobody is questioning that Mr. Miculek broke a shot at 1000yds, or that the balloon popped, or that the bullet arrived at the plate.

But the video shows it happening out of sequence.

The only explanation I can come up with is that the bullet struck without immediately leaving a mark, then a moment later a round chip of paint fell off.

grampa243
08-08-2014, 10:16 PM
Waco.

i believe the time you have heard when shooting is the time of flight plus the time it takes the sound of the hit to come back to your ears.

in the video you hear the hit in the target cam. so it would be half the time.

imashooter2
08-08-2014, 10:25 PM
I was lucky enough to watch him shoot a stage at the PSA Shootout once. Impressive is an inadequate word.

Finster101
08-08-2014, 10:30 PM
Seems to me the man has too much credibility at stake to try and pull a fast one. I don't have a doubt that he did it.

JHeath
08-08-2014, 11:25 PM
Seems to me the man has too much credibility at stake to try and pull a fast one. I don't have a doubt that he did it.

I agree. But the balloon bursts at about 1:06.8

The bullet spatters on the plate at about 1:08.0

How can that happen?

autofix4u
08-08-2014, 11:36 PM
Did the ball on pop before the bullet struck? I suppose mabee it did. Have you never seen a ball on pop at random before, you have to remember this is in the hot sun and the balloon is taped to a large steel plate.
The fact of the matter is Jerry did make the shot by hitting the plate, the ball on would not have survived the experience.
I have shot my Sharps at a Thousand several times and have to say it takes some prior planning and a steady hand. I sure it is a lot harder with a 9mm than a 45-120.

PAT303
08-09-2014, 03:26 AM
Have a look at the video on page one,he has about 1/2'' of muzzle elevation,I just set the sights of one of my Lee Enfields to 1000 yards and it has about 1 1/4'' muzzle elevation,I can't see how a 9mm bullet can travel so far with a mid range trajectory of 231 feet with such little amount of elevation. Pat

waksupi
08-09-2014, 10:12 AM
It's the weekend. Time for some of you guys to go try your handguns at long range, if you've never done it before.

dragon813gt
08-09-2014, 10:40 AM
I thought it was Wednesday.

robertbank
08-09-2014, 10:48 AM
Have a look at the video on page one,he has about 1/2'' of muzzle elevation,I just set the sights of one of my Lee Enfields to 1000 yards and it has about 1 1/4'' muzzle elevation,I can't see how a 9mm bullet can travel so far with a mid range trajectory of 231 feet with such little amount of elevation. Pat

Pat the barrel length is your answer. Try it with a handgun. From what I can see the elevation for a handgun is about where I would expect it to be. The longer barrel makes it look like the angle would be steeper. It is quite a shot though and one where I would think luck plays a bigger part then skill. Jerry is skillful with a handgun but 1,000 yards is still a thousand yards. The sight on the handgun would play no part in the shot at that distance other than to align the barrel vertically. A 4MOA dot at 1K yards would cover how much area?

Take Care

Bob

str8wal
08-09-2014, 11:00 AM
A 4MOA dot at 1K yards would cover how much area?

I'd hazzard about 40"

M-Tecs
08-09-2014, 11:31 AM
As kid I reloaded 45 Colt and 45/70 for a reenactment club (7th Calvary) . I basically had an unlimited supply of ammo. The club range only went to 300 yards but across the creek up on the hill side there was a white chalky rock about 18” wide by 24” tall about 600 or 650 yards out. Every time you hit it you would see a puff of white dust.

Since you could see the bullet impacts on the hill side you could walk the rounds in. I was using light loads in Colt Old Army type pistols and Trapdoor Springfield’s. Shot thousands of rounds at that rock. Got quite good at it.

I also shoot NRA High Power and Long range and I understand wind drift and trajectory. As a long range shooter it seems like BS because I am looking a first round hits and repeatability. As someone who has done a lot of long range rock busting with 45 Colt and 45/70 it’s really not that hard if you can see the bullet impacts and you can walk them in.

robertbank
08-09-2014, 02:48 PM
M-Tecs we did the same thing shooting at clay pigeons at 100 yards. BUT 100 yards is a far cry from 1,000 yards. At that distance you better have your calculator out cuz the 9MM is going to really be dropping at that range. I am sure he did it but I bet he didn't spend a lot of time trying to do it twice.

Our range only goes to about 250 yards. May try to hit our gong with my .357. Should be fun/

Take Care

Bob

JHeath
08-09-2014, 03:45 PM
Did the ball on pop before the bullet struck? I suppose mabee it did. Have you never seen a ball on pop at random before, you have to remember this is in the hot sun and . . .

That's laying it on thick -- a balloon popped at random 1.2 seconds before an aimed shot strikes next to it from over a half-mile away, with video cameras rolling, after the shooter talks up the balloon as the target; then backtracks and says the balloon wasn't the target, only a "spotter's aid"; and adds a note saying that spatter and not a direct hit broke the balloon.

Presumably Mr. Miculek watched the video before he offered the "spatter" explanation, but Autofix4u is right that explanation doesn't add up.

This kind of video and claim needs to be above question. It's not. The video has commercial hype, followed by backpedaling of claims, plus an obvious visual discrepancy.

I am sure Mr. Miculek fired a shot and hit the plate. But this video and the hasty explanations are below the standards of Mr. Miculek's documented achievements. He would do well to take it down.

Larry Gibson
08-09-2014, 04:20 PM
I've watched the video numerous times now; where does the 1.2 second delay between the balloon breaking and the bullet strike come from? Appears to me the balloon breaks when the bullet strikes the steel, at the same time. Granted Mr. Miculek did not hit the balloon but he hit the steel target at 1000 yards.

I've done a fair share of long range shooting at numerous distances with various handguns and calibers. I've also watched Mr. Miculek shoot. I've no doubt he did what he did.

Larry Gibson

44MAG#1
08-09-2014, 04:51 PM
That's laying it on thick -- a balloon popped at random 1.2 seconds before an aimed shot strikes next to it from over a half-mile away, with video cameras rolling, after the shooter talks up the balloon as the target; then backtracks and says the balloon wasn't the target, only a "spotter's aid"; and adds a note saying that spatter and not a direct hit broke the balloon.

Presumably Mr. Miculek watched the video before he offered the "spatter" explanation, but Autofix4u is right that explanation doesn't add up.

This kind of video and claim needs to be above question. It's not. The video has commercial hype, followed by backpedaling of claims, plus an obvious visual discrepancy.

I am sure Mr. Miculek fired a shot and hit the plate. But this video and the hasty explanations are below the standards of Mr. Miculek's documented achievements. He would do well to take it down.

The best thing to do is to ignore what this poster has to say, like everyone ignores me, and let him be Mr. Negativity. Continuing with him will lead to disgruntledness and ireness and upsetness for everyone. There is no way to convince him of anything. But as always there will be a few that will try too with no prevailness followed by worrysomeness.

JHeath
08-09-2014, 05:37 PM
I've watched the video numerous times now; where does the 1.2 second delay between the balloon breaking and the bullet strike come from?

Larry Gibson

Larry, in the inset (target video) you can see the balloon pop at about 1:06.8 . But there's no mark on the plate below and to the left of the ballon. Just bare white paint. Watch that bare white paint.

Then at about 1:08.0, you can see a black circle suddenly appear right where Mr. Miculek later finds the dent.

Ignore the audio, pretend you're deaf like me and just watch the image.

waksupi
08-09-2014, 05:47 PM
Did you take into account of target swing and lighting? I suggest loosening your tin foil hat, it is cutting off blood circulation.

Larry, in the inset (target video) you can see the balloon pop at about 1:06.8 . But there's no mark on the plate below and to the left of the ballon. Just bare white paint. Watch that bare white paint.

Then at about 1:08.0, you can see a black circle suddenly appear right where Mr. Miculek later finds the dent.

Ignore the audio, pretend you're deaf like me and just watch the image.

merlin101
08-09-2014, 06:22 PM
MAYBE ,just maybe the bullet HIT the balloon and was deflected to the plate. It WAS going quite slow by then wasn't it?:bigsmyl2:

After that video I'd almost buy your explanation!

Larry Gibson
08-09-2014, 07:10 PM
Sorry but I think someone needs to take a closer look. Or perhaps get out and watch balloons break from bullet splatter when a bullet hits a steal plate they are attached to. In the video at frame 1.07 not hit. In frame 1.08 the bullet hits the steel plate and breaks the balloon. Mr. Miculek doesn't say he is going to hit the balloon, he says he's going to break the balloon. The steel plate was the target and he hit it. Of course we've no idea how many shots he fired before to range in on the plate but that's not the point.

It was still a heck of a great shot in my opinion.

Larry Gibson

str8wal
08-09-2014, 07:36 PM
after the shooter talks up the balloon as the target; then backtracks and says the balloon wasn't the target, only a "spotter's ai

I watched the video and he said he was going to try to BREAK the balloon. He did not say HIT the balloon. Obviously the balloon is the target, but the challenge was to BUST it. The balloon is merely a visual aid and it looks more impressive to see a balloon pop than to see a splat on a steel plate. Bob Munden did the same thing with a 44 Mag @ 600 yards on Impossible Shots. Bob Munden also did it @ 200 yards with a snubby on the same T/V series.

str8wal
08-09-2014, 08:47 PM
Also, the disintegration of the XTP begins well before one can see the more obvious splat on the target. The air in the balloon responds quicker than the visual of the impact.

Old Caster
08-09-2014, 08:51 PM
JHeath,
Sheeple want what they want and don't pay any attention to reality. If this very gun or any gun that is claimed to be involved in super long range magic was put into a Ransom Rest and shot at a 1000 yards; after about 10 rounds, half the people would walk away and half would start to explain that it was the RR's fault or the world moved. Some would claim that the claimers could shoot better than the RR also somehow even knowing that the next shot will go left and high so they aim right and low. Not only are the pistols not up to this kind of accuracy but neither is the ammo in its design or whatever you want to mention. Anybody that has shot any amount of F class, Benchrest, or BPCR knows better. The gun would have to be capable of 2.4 inches at 100 yards to be able to hit 24 inches at 1000 and that is if accuracy didn't deteriorate more as it goes farther, and it will drastically because of the lack of stability of such a short bullet that isn't designed for this distance. Various companies that design bullets for 1000 yards make all kinds of efforts to have the highest BC possible so they will shoot well and be marketable and I can assure you, 9mm pistol rounds aren't one of them and probably don't even have a BC mentioned for them. If they do, it will be about one fifth of a bullet made for this purpose. People always make claims in gun blogs about things they did that would be world records if done at a sanctioned match and most individuals are petrified about the flames they will get from the sheeple if they used common sense and stated the unlikelihood just like you did.

dmize
08-09-2014, 08:52 PM
Forget the video of the target!!!
He had made the shot that actually broke the balloon,set up for the next shot,was aiming and the hammer was COMING back when he heard the steel ring and stopped.

str8wal
08-09-2014, 08:56 PM
Not only are the pistols not up to this kind of accuracy but neither is the ammo in its design or whatever you want to mention.

I think you may be missing the point ;-)

JHeath
08-09-2014, 09:18 PM
112899112900Here's a couple of stills. In the first, the ballon is gone, but there's no dent on the plate. . . .

Larry and everybody else, I figured something out.

I took the screenshots above on an iPad. In the first the balloon is gone but no dent. In the second, the black dent appears (look close).

I watched the video many times on the iPad and the playback appears very smooth and natural. There should be no "frames" with the balloon gone and no dent, because by the time the balloon deflates the bullet spatter would be visible. So how did I get an image of the balloon gone before the bullet arrives?

Well I just ran the video on a laptop to get a better screenshot and enlarge it with a time index.

When I watch it on the laptop, there's virtually no lag between the balloon popping and the black dent appearing. The video doesn't look smoother or higher-quality on the laptop, but that moment of video plays differently. I couldn't get the same screenshot on a laptop. Those "frames" don't exist.

So I went back to my iPad and checked again. There's still about 1.2 seconds of blank white paint between the balloon pop and the bullet splat.

So Larry, you're right. I am sure on your computer there's no lag.

But I'm telling you that on my iPad, there's a lag of over a second. Otherwise I could not have gotten the screenshot above.

I can't explain the difference between the laptop playback and the iPad playback -- those "frames" without the bullet spatter should not exist. And the iPad video is not jerky. If anything the iPad appears smoother than the laptop playback.

But this explains why so many of you thought I was nuts.

I said 5 or 6 times already that Mr. Miculek undoubtedly took the shot and hit the plate at 1000yds, that hitting the plate was as good as hitting the balloon at that range, etc. I'm getting bored repeating it.

He did backpedal in the notes on his Youtube video, changed the title of the video to shift attention from the balloon, etc. To me it would have been better if he just said he did it. His word is more credible than the video.

MtGun44
08-09-2014, 09:21 PM
I assumed from the first 5 seconds that the balloon would pop from bullet
spatter, NOT a direct hit. This is pretty obvious and the balloon makes it
a reactive target and kinda gives the uninitiated the mistaken idea that he
hit the balloon. Not likely, and he, in fact, did not, and shows you that
he did not.

A direct hit on the balloon would be about 20 times harder to do, frankly. I have
no doubt he can and did do it, and it is a great shot, but it is not as hard as some
folks seem to think it is to hit at REALLY long ranges with handguns on largish targets.

Bill

PAT303
08-10-2014, 02:08 AM
It's the weekend. Time for some of you guys to go try your handguns at long range, if you've never done it before.
No problems,I can't wait to see your groups shot with a 9mm,I'll make it easy,just shoot a group at 500m and post it.I shot at 200m today over a rest,24'' gong,you guys must be superstar Olympic quality shooters if you think it's easy,the slightest change in grip caused a POI change,I better start practising. Pat

Larry Gibson
08-10-2014, 07:37 AM
Jerry Miculek is a top notch professional shooter. He shoots for a living. He has his own private range. He is sponsored and supported by several firearm and ammunition manufacturers. He probably shoots more on some days than most here shoot in a year. He is very, very good with a handgun. He probably get's in enough "practice", eh?

Larry Gibson

gtgeorge
08-10-2014, 10:34 AM
There are always those that doubt anything they find out of their own reach and nit pick the details of the event. Not everyone has to break out a calculator to make an incredibly long shot and are naturals from slinging lead daily.

I applaud Jerry for doing it and showing it to get folks talking and thinking. He is a fine shot and I watch him to try to benefit my own shooting abilities. I would go out to a 1K range and sail a few downrange to bust lead too if I had the place to do it. But leave the story to myself and those there to keep from being attacked by doubters.

Old Caster
08-10-2014, 10:48 AM
Larry, Jerry Michlek tried his abilities at a Bullseye 2700 match and he was such an embarrassment that quite a few local shooters here beat him. He is a great shooter in his own right but that is speed and not accuracy. If Brian Zinns, the best in recent times, can't even keep all his shots in the 10 ring at 50 yards which is over 3 inches with the best guns available it is clear that Jerry certainly couldn't. Bill Blankenship who was the best ever at the same game in the iron sight era of the late 50's laughed at the things that "Hell I was there" claimed challenging him to come shoot at Perry to prove what he could do. Obviously no show.
https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net/hprofile-ak-prn2/t1.0-1/c4.0.32.32/p32x32/1002048_638301559566769_117892932_n.jpg (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jerry-Miculek/267788486618080?fref=photo)
Jerry Miculek (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jerry-Miculek/267788486618080?fref=photo)

If you really want to feel small shoot some bullseye at 50 yard....you will soon realize you are not the l man you once thought. #NRATrijiconChallenge (https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/nratrijiconchallenge)

loaded303
08-10-2014, 06:56 PM
Whoever posted on editing obviously understands. Audio and video synching is one thing. Live is another. I've been around video and audio editing since the early 80s and to argue based upon what you see and hear recorded is understandable. But void in this case considering the source. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/11/pu3agy2a.jpg

44man
08-11-2014, 08:23 AM
One IHMSA shoot at Quantico, I watched a Marine in uniform shoot the course off hand with a 1911. I was not on the line so I watched him for the 40 targets. He hit about every one of them, only remember a few misses. To hit turkeys at 150 and rams at 200 meters with a 1911 off hand is nothing short of amazing.
He knew he was there for fun because he had a score of about 10 since steel would not fall, most were chickens. Just no knock down from the ACP.
I would have given the man a trophy even if steel did not fall.

Larry Gibson
08-11-2014, 12:05 PM
Old Caster

So what's your point? I've seen a lot of excellent 2700 shooters fail miserably at IPSC or IDPA matches the 1st time they tried that game. Also seen a lot of Master and High Master NMC shooters fail miserably at combat style matches, even longer range ones. Takes time and practice to learn the game. I watched Miculek fail miserably on a shoot off with his AR at a 250 yard target (3 gun match). His usual prone position with the AR resting on the magazine just sucked for the job at hand. Neither he nor the world champion who won the shoot off did well because they did not know how to shoot with any kind of precision at longer range. That does not negate the speed and accuracy they did at closer range though. I also have seen Miculek shoot very accurately with his handguns but he uses two hands which is not allowed in 2700 matches. "Cross over" from one style of shooting to another takes some practice. I've also shot the "outhouse" at 600 yards with a 44 magnum. No I didn't hit it every shot and neither did Keith (he never claimed he did). I've also qualified "Sharpshooter" on the Army's current 40 shot 300 meter M16 Qualification range. I used a M1911. No I didn't do that on the 1st try but with some practice.........here's a picture of me and 2 others shooting 250 meter E targets with stock M1911s. The targets are on the ridge line below the fir trees. That's on the platoon or squad assault course range at Fort Lewis, WA. Wasn't hard to do at all. The SF company commander is on my left and a ODA team SGT is on my right. Other photo is of me shooting a Barret .50 cal at an E target at 1600 meters at 29 Palms.......and shooting my M60 MBT at 2500 meters at night.............quite a switch in long range disciplines............

I've no doubt Mr. Miculek did exactly what he claims.

Larry Gibson

113215 113216 113217

44man
08-11-2014, 02:01 PM
I might hold the record for the 500 yard KD range with my M1, I think I had one nine. I bet I could clean the wimp 300 yard range with the toy rifle used now. I was expert class with all weapons in the army.
My daughter still has the highest score in the Marine Corp for a woman, even beat all the men. After she left, you got promoted with a high score. I bet her score is a baseline. When she could barely hold a gun, I would hang a bottle on a tree branch, 75 yards, give her my flint lock and she would break the bottle, off hand.
The Browning BAR, air cooled and water cooled machine guns, the bazooka and rifle grenades that I shot from my shoulder. Threw grenades like a baseball. Pissed the sarge until he said "good throw." I would throw through a window. Germans did not "lob" grenades, they threw stick grenades at you.
Back in WWII, get a guy behind a tree, shoot through the tree. Today it takes a thousand rounds to kill a creep. Mattel guns.

Old Caster
08-12-2014, 10:24 AM
Larry, #1 If you had shot some Bullseye with one hand you would realize that it is not easier to shoot accurately with two hands instead of one unless the person is very inadequate at shooting off hand or if they are shooting very rapidly. To quote Miculek again, "If you really want to feel small shoot some bullseye at 50 yard....you will soon realize you are not the man you once thought." People that do this find out they aren't capable of shooting off hand as well as they thought and people who have done it for years understand reality. Even if you wanted to say that Mr. Miculek was capable of zero error, the gun and bullet we are talking about here is not even close to up to the task. What in the world do all the guns you say you shot in your lifetime have to do with a 9mm pistol at 1000 yards. Put one of these in a Ransom Rest and watch it shoot about 20 foot groups or more at a thousand and then lets talk about the possibility. I would expect that the shot was made but there were so many tries discounted and so much ammunition shot before luck would have it that he hit the plate that they dare not talk about that.

Remember that when Keith shot his supposed long range shot it was with a pistol that didn't even have patridge sights or even sights that were adjustable plus he would have had to aim at the sky to be on target at that range. If someone wants to read about ridiculous accomplishments, they aren't hard to find because gullible people buy into them. Oh, and by the way, people in Australia don't say "Eh".

44 man, well........whatever.

44MAG#1
08-12-2014, 10:45 AM
Old Caster:

For you assume that anyone of us on here thinks JM can do that shot on command and that he did it in two shots is thinking we are all fools.
We realize it was a lucky thing even for him and that it took much practice for him to even get close on target.
What do you take us for?
We realized that most of the incredible shots made by Munden and Miculek are based on odds.
That is what makes it interesting.
Again what do you take us for?
I talked with Munden shortly after the 600 yard shot with the Smith 44 Mag aired on TV and he said the shot that hit the plate was with the 7th or 8th.
He walked the shots up to the plate.
Ever see the shot he made on the egg at 100 offhand with a 1911? Could he do it on command? No. Did he do it on the first shot? Most smart people would say no.
Give us some credit okay. We aren't as dumb as some think.
As far as your touted Bullseye shooters.....good on paper sure but I saw a Bullseye shooter that was fairly good at the 50'yard line miss the chickens at fifty yards shooting for fun too. Should have hit every one of them easily too.
Again we aren't dumb.

44man
08-12-2014, 11:36 AM
Larry, #1 If you had shot some Bullseye with one hand you would realize that it is not easier to shoot accurately with two hands instead of one unless the person is very inadequate at shooting off hand or if they are shooting very rapidly. To quote Miculek again, "If you really want to feel small shoot some bullseye at 50 yard....you will soon realize you are not the man you once thought." People that do this find out they aren't capable of shooting off hand as well as they thought and people who have done it for years understand reality. Even if you wanted to say that Mr. Miculek was capable of zero error, the gun and bullet we are talking about here is not even close to up to the task. What in the world do all the guns you say you shot in your lifetime have to do with a 9mm pistol at 1000 yards. Put one of these in a Ransom Rest and watch it shoot about 20 foot groups or more at a thousand and then lets talk about the possibility. I would expect that the shot was made but there were so many tries discounted and so much ammunition shot before luck would have it that he hit the plate that they dare not talk about that.

Remember that when Keith shot his supposed long range shot it was with a pistol that didn't even have patridge sights or even sights that were adjustable plus he would have had to aim at the sky to be on target at that range. If someone wants to read about ridiculous accomplishments, they aren't hard to find because gullible people buy into them. Oh, and by the way, people in Australia don't say "Eh".

44 man, well........whatever.
So true, my long range shots were walked in by my spotter and I figure I was 26' high aiming at a tree branch with my 45-70 revolver. My .475 drops less then the 45-70 but I had to set the red dot on top of the 500 meter berm to hit at 400 yards. No idea how high that was.
Elmer had to walk in his shot at 600 to hit the elk. Hits were seen on the hillside. You really do shoot at the sky and only the trees or something to aim at can let you do it. I went with the silver bars on the front sight like Elmer long ago but then you need barrel above the sight after so far. It is just a guess. A stable boolit will carry straight for unreal distances. We have been told a million times that a WFN goes unstable beyond 50 yards, not true at all. Will the right bullet and load go to 1000 yards, Sure will. Can it be done off hand? Not by me. Jerry did not hit the balloon but hit the steel and that is amazing. Remember Munden with high speed cameras showing the bullet hitting the balloon?
Guys say he was not aiming high enough but that depends on target elevation compared to the shooter. Jerry might have had a lot of dirt to aim at above the target. Sound is your computer speed. Mine does not match mouth movements at all.

Larry Gibson
08-12-2014, 12:03 PM
Old Caster:

I certainly have to agree with 44man;

"For you assume that anyone of us on here thinks JM can do that shot on command and that he did it in two shots is thinking we are all fools.
We realize it was a lucky thing even for him and that it took much practice for him to even get close on target.
What do you take us for?
We realized that most of the incredible shots made by Munden and Miculek are based on odds.
That is what makes it interesting."

Did Mr. Miculek state he would make the shot on the 1st shot.....no he didn't. Obviously he didn't even know about the second shot either..........

You state; "Put one of these in a Ransom Rest and watch it shoot about 20 foot groups or more at a thousand and then lets talk about the possibility." The problem with that is you assume all the shots to disperse out to the 20' periphery of the group. That is not the case as a fair number of shots will be in the center of that 20' group, and a number of them on that steel plate. If you've watched "Impossible Shots" on TV you will see all the very good shooters take multiple tries to achieve the "impossible shot". I'll bet Jerry shot at that plate numerous times to get a point of aim reference before the video was made. They all do, so what?

BTW, I have shot 2700 matches and Mr. Miculek's quote certainly has merit. Seems the 2700 match is your forte' and that's fine. But what is done there has nothing to do with hitting the steel at 1000 yards and breaking the balloon. How many shots do you think it would take you to do the same with your trusty .45 hardball match pistol one handed? Why don't you try it sometime and then complain about Mr. Miculek's "Impossible Shot"............

Larry Gibson

str8wal
08-12-2014, 12:16 PM
he was not aiming high enough

I have heard this as well. But, if you run the numbers through a ballistic calculator, and those results through an angle calculator, you will find that all is needed is about 5 degrees of muzzle elevation to achieve a 1,000 yard zero.

kopperl
08-12-2014, 12:42 PM
Any one remember the old training film that showed Capt Bill McMillan splitting 38 wad cutter on an axe head and scoring two bulls?
Never did hear how long that took to film.

JHeath
08-12-2014, 01:37 PM
Whoever posted on editing obviously understands. Audio and video synching is one thing. Live is another. I've been around video and audio editing since the early 80s and to argue based upon what you see and hear recorded is understandable. But void in this case considering the source. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/11/pu3agy2a.jpg

Hi loaded303,

I've worked around entertainment a lot and big consoles like in the photo above are an everyday sight for me.

Forget the audio. I'll say it again for the 5th-6th time: FORGET THE AUDIO. TURN OFF THE SOUND.

When viewed on Youtube *mobile* via my iPad, there's a distinct 1+ second lag where the balloon is gone, but the white paint is visible prior to the arrival/dent of the bullet. I posted the image twice already.

But when I viewed it on Youtube *desktop* using a laptop, the lag is virtually non-existent. Because of that inconsistency I stopped asking for an explanation of the video.

Now for the umpteenth time I never questioned that Mr. Miculek hit the plate as described.

But since you arrived to explain the video, how is it possible for Youtube mobile to contain even an instant of the image I posted, of the balloon completely deflated and gone, but the bullet not yet spattered against the plate? It can't be that YT mobile extended a nanosecond of image into 1+ seconds of image, because the image should not exist at all. The balloon can't have popped before the bullet spattered.

Again, I am not disputing the revolver shot. I'm just trying to figure out how I could have been deceived by YT mobile, when I was able to capture an image of the balloon popped but unbroken paint where the spatter later appears.

Autofix4U's explanation makes more sense than anything -- the balloon popped at random a moment before the bullet arrived. But that's a pretty unlikely coincidence. I'd like to hear a technical explanation from a video expert.

44MAG#1
08-12-2014, 01:41 PM
Hi loaded303,

I've worked around entertainment a lot and big consoles like in the photo above are an everyday sight for me.

Forget the audio. I'll say it again for the 5th-6th time: FORGET THE AUDIO. TURN OFF THE SOUND.

When viewed on Youtube *mobile* via my iPad, there's a distinct 1+ second lag where the balloon is gone, but the white paint is visible prior to the arrival/dent of the bullet. I posted the image twice already.

But when I viewed it on Youtube *desktop* using a laptop, the lag is virtually non-existent. Because of that inconsistency I stopped asking for an explanation of the video.

Now for the umpteenth time I never questioned that Mr. Miculek hit the plate as described.

But since you arrived to explain the video, how is it possible for Youtube mobile to contain even an instant of the image I posted, of the balloon completely deflated and gone, but the bullet not yet spattered against the plate? It can't be that YT mobile extended a nanosecond of image into 1+ seconds of image, because the image should not exist at all. The balloon can't have popped before the bullet spattered.

Again, I am not disputing the revolver shot. I'm just trying to figure out how I could have been deceived by YT mobile, when I was able to capture an image of the balloon popped but unbroken paint where the spatter later appears.

Autofix4U's explanation makes more sense than anything -- the balloon popped at random a moment before the bullet arrived. But that's a pretty unlikely coincidence. I'd like to hear a technical explanation from a video expert.

It comes down to who cares???

JHeath
08-12-2014, 02:21 PM
Apparently loaded303 cares, because he took the time to post and upload a photo of himself to establish his credentials and say that editing can explain a lot.

And since I found an odd difference between the video playbacks, and captured an image that should not exist, I asked him to help with an explanation.

And I don't see why you should care, except that you aren't interested in understanding the video evidence that Mr. Miculek himself thought was significant enough to produce and post on Youtube. And worse, you don't want anybody else to understand it. Which is really anti-intellectual.

The only thing you and I agree on 44Mag#1 (and that's quite a handle), is that Mr. Miculek's word would be good enough. And isn't that the most important thing?

44MAG#1
08-12-2014, 02:46 PM
loaded 303 was trying to explain the reason as to why the video displayed the way it did to help squash the doubts that you were trying to establish about the truthfulness of the video. Albeit in a subtle way. He explained so enough said. I would say most on here are not videographers and couldn't care less about the synching of a video and the technical aspects of said process. I don't care what anyone else understands if they want to delve into a technical process but I didn't see anyone else agonizing over the video. Since no one else was worried over the video does that make them anti-intellectual too? If his word is good enough let that put a period to it and enjoy the video such as it is.

Old Caster
08-12-2014, 07:54 PM
Old Caster:

I certainly have to agree with 44man;

You state; "Put one of these in a Ransom Rest and watch it shoot about 20 foot groups or more at a thousand and then lets talk about the possibility." The problem with that is you assume all the shots to disperse out to the 20' periphery of the group. That is not the case as a fair number of shots will be in the center of that 20' group, and a number of them on that steel plate. If you've watched "Impossible Shots" on TV you will see all the very good shooters take multiple tries to achieve the "impossible shot". I'll bet Jerry shot at that plate numerous times to get a point of aim reference before the video was made. They all do, so what?

BTW, I have shot 2700 matches and Mr. Miculek's quote certainly has merit. Seems the 2700 match is your forte' and that's fine. But what is done there has nothing to do with hitting the steel at 1000 yards and breaking the balloon. How many shots do you think it would take you to do the same with your trusty .45 hardball match pistol one handed? Why don't you try it sometime and then complain about Mr. Miculek's "Impossible Shot"............

Larry Gibson

Try to understand that even putting the 45 hardball gun ( which incidentally isn't fired in a 2700 match) in a Ransom rest and firing the first shot and afterwards putting the balloon exactly in that spot, then coming back to the line and continuing to fire rounds though the gun so there is no shooting error, it probably would take many hundreds and perhaps thousands of rounds to hit it again so why would I try it offhand with added error. I already know it will shoot real crooked at that distance and has nothing to do with the shooters ability.

A really good hardball gun will shoot 3 inches at 50 yards. That is 60 inches at 1000 if the bullets no longer curved after it went past the 50 yard mark and experienced no wind. Since the Ballistic Coefficient (BC) of a bullet like the 45 hardball or the 9mm is so poor, it would be among the worst of the worst to try at that distance. Why don't you take some of your 9mm guns and put them in a Ransom Rest and shoot them at an even shorter distance like 500 as suggested by someone in a previous post and let us know what your groups are. Even at half the distance, you will find that it is way worse than you thought.

Yes, Bullseye is my forte ever since the Army picked me to shoot in the AMU in 1966 but just to try something different, I won the 2010 F class championship in Missouri 44 years later and the only year I competed. My success was from the guidance of many of the best Bench Rest shooters at that range. This was against a team that was sponsored by Midway. This was at only 600 yards and I fully understand how much just a bit of wind can move those bullets at that short distance plus how carefully the hand picked quality components had to be reloaded, but this has nothing to do with my prowess or Mr. Miculek's ability but the gun and bullet in question which are so much worse than the F Class items I used that it is ridiculous.

A good check would be if some of you here would go to a match where they shoot silhouettes at long distance with handguns (only 200 meters) and ask the winner of the match, what he thinks about shooting a 9 mm at 1000 yards.

44MAG#1
08-12-2014, 08:09 PM
Try to understand that even putting the 45 hardball gun ( which incidentally isn't fired in a 2700 match) in a Ransom rest and firing the first shot and afterwards putting the balloon exactly in that spot, then coming back to the line and continuing to fire rounds though the gun so there is no shooting error, it probably would take many hundreds and perhaps thousands of rounds to hit it again so why would I try it offhand with added error. I already know it will shoot real crooked at that distance and has nothing to do with the shooters ability.

A really good hardball gun will shoot 3 inches at 50 yards. That is 60 inches at 1000 if the bullets no longer curved after it went past the 50 yard mark and experienced no wind. Since the Ballistic Coefficient (BC) of a bullet like the 45 hardball or the 9mm is so poor, it would be among the worst of the worst to try at that distance. Why don't you take some of your 9mm guns and put them in a Ransom Rest and shoot them at an even shorter distance like 500 as suggested by someone in a previous post and let us know what your groups are. Even at half the distance, you will find that it is way worse than you thought.

Yes, Bullseye is my forte ever since the Army picked me to shoot in the AMU in 1966 but just to try something different, I won the 2010 F class championship in Missouri 44 years later and the only year I competed. My success was from the guidance of many of the best Bench Rest shooters at that range. This was against a team that was sponsored by Midway. This was at only 600 yards and I fully understand how much just a bit of wind can move those bullets at that short distance plus how carefully the hand picked quality components had to be reloaded, but this has nothing to do with my prowess or Mr. Miculek's ability but the gun and bullet in question which are so much worse than the F Class items I used that it is ridiculous.

A good check would be if some of you here would go to a match where they shoot silhouettes at long distance with handguns (only 200 meters) and ask the winner of the match, what he thinks about shooting a 9 mm at 1000 yards.
You are beating a dead horse sir. We know that it is an improbable shot and that it couldn't be duplicated in any way what one could be called reasonable. Why cant you understand that. It was a shot that lady luck blessed him with. We know that a 9 is not a long range firearm. We know that the shot bordered on the near impossible. Who said they thought he could duplicate the shot again if he shot a hundred rounds at the plate? We understand the accuracy standard of the load is not like a long range benchrest rifle with a highpower scope. So with that being said what is your point?

M-Tecs
08-12-2014, 09:11 PM
1911 Pistol World Record Distance Shoot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV17c5A0gQA

Karl Lippard shoots the 1911 A2 Combat NCO Pistol at a distance of 600 yards for record on 9/22/12 at NRA Whittington Center, Raton NM.
The record was shot with iron sites and factory loaded .45 ACP +P ammunition.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/10/robert-farago/world-records-set-for-45-acp-pistol-at-600-and-200-yards-by-lippard-1911-a2-handguns-lippard-1911-a2a3-upgraded-pistols-allegedly/

MtGun44
08-13-2014, 12:29 AM
Why in the world is it reasonable to say that the 9mm would "from a Ransom Rest shoot a 20 foot
group at 1000 yds"?

I find this entirely ridiculous. A good pistol will shoot (I have done it many times) into 4" or so
at 100 yds. Ignoring the wind (which is a HUGE FACTOR, but we can find windless days) - why
should we expect a lot more than a 40 inch group? I would expect that maybe things may go
downhill and you get a 60" group (which is 5 feet) but it is not reasonable to expect a 20 foot
group, IMO.

Bill

DrCaveman
08-13-2014, 03:06 AM
Suspend disbelief; embrace faith; enjoy something fun to see. Take inspiration that more is possible than previously imagined. Thats all this video is good for. And that's enough

Jerry isnt a diety, and he isnt a fraud. Some people get lucky sometimes, others get lucky a little more often. Kind of like my old co-worker who would hit the royal flush in video poker about once a month, and win $600. Thats all youd hear about. But go sit next to him playing one day, and watch 20 after 20 after 20 after 20....get pumped into the machine. No wins most days

You "manipulate" the odds by overwhelming them by attrition. No magic

Still fun to see, and pretend it's all real and not staged. Hell, that needs to be done to enjoy most professional sports competitions!

44MAG#1
08-13-2014, 05:44 AM
DrCaveman: A voice of reason.

44man
08-13-2014, 02:02 PM
Most of my revolvers have shot less then 1/2" at 100 and my best was 2-1/2' at 500 and four out of five on a six inch swinger at 400, first shot a sighter. Can a revolver shoot to 1000 yards. Darn sure it can. Toss the Ransom, we out shoot it every time. What makes you think it is best?
Those that shoot 25 yards do not know a thing. i love those that brag about 4" at 25, want my slingshot?

ole 5 hole group
08-13-2014, 03:00 PM
I don't know Jim, sometimes missing a pill in the AM gets to one - I know I don't know much, but I can shoot pretty small groups at 25 yards, bigger ones at 50 and sometimes when I unlimber the 500L Max at 300 yards with 500 grain cast - well, you sometimes couldn't cover 5 holes with a blanket (that would be a BIG blanket) while other times I can hit the 20" steel plate out there a time or two.

All I can add to this thread is: Jerry is an Honorable Man with gun handling abilities that are far above us mere mortals.

loaded303
08-13-2014, 07:52 PM
Excellent. While Jerry is mortal. Like us all. He's def one hot shot. Anybody here pass him over for a team mate in a heated fire exchange?

JHeath
08-14-2014, 01:27 AM
Whoever posted on editing obviously understands. Audio and video synching is one thing. Live is another. I've been around video and audio editing since the early 80s . . .
. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/11/pu3agy2a.jpg

Nice photo to establish your video credentials. But when a guy touts a photo like that then doesn't follow through with a substantive comment about video imagery based on the technical knowledge he gained from sitting next to an audio console with lots of buttons, it makes him look like this:

Yes JM made the shot, is a great shooter and honest competitor. But there's something odd with the video, and it was originally pumped up as a balloon shot, then was re-titled, a note added that spatter killed the balloon, plus a shakey explanation added that the balloon was only an observing aid for the spotter (?) and was not really the target, although JM said 2 or 3 times it was.

It's not that I think he couldn't/didn't do it. On the contrary, I think the video presentation and backpedaling are not at the same level of his very real accomplishments, including this shot.

His fans' unwillingness to respond to a simple non-accusational technical question about the video, and their resentment of it, are not his fault. They reflect poorly on somebody, but not on JM.

loaded303
08-14-2014, 03:19 AM
Sorry you are offended by my opinion. You seem to like to insinuate and lure with a douchebag sense based personality. Go fish. I simply made an opinionated response based on my experience to a comment made concerning timing of video and audio not lining/synching up. Have a little more faith if that's possible with a manner of person as your self.

44MAG#1
08-14-2014, 08:53 AM
JHeath

Trying every way to disparage JM. Even picking apart what he says like a lawyer trying to discredit a witness on the stand. Attacking from different angles.

str8wal
08-14-2014, 09:19 AM
it was originally pumped up as a balloon shot, then was re-titled, a note added that spatter killed the balloon, plus a shakey explanation added that the balloon was only an observing aid for the spotter

Perhaps you should listen to the video. He says he will BREAK the balloon and he does. Just when does he say the intent is to hit the balloon directly? Enough already....

Cornbread
08-14-2014, 09:40 AM
You guys know you can block people on here so you don't have to read their nonsense? Pretty much every internet board out there has this feature. One of the first things I did when I came on this board was just search and read threads for stuff I wanted to know. In the process of doing that I just started blocking people who made a ton of idiotic replies or who were obviously full of hot air. Some of them had nearly 1,000 posts or more and had managed to say very little if anything of any constructive use. If I had to read all the posts by all the jack wagons on every hunting and fishing forum I belong to, I'd go insane. Save yourselves the frustration, just block the trolls and skip to the useful posts by people who are here to further knowledge not stir up FUD.

jonp
08-14-2014, 10:23 AM
When i am home i sit on my deck and shoot at a large rock across the pond with my 357 BH. Distance is about 600yrds. When i figure out the holdover, which pine tree to aim at the top of, i can hit it most shots. Of course im sitting in a chair with the revolver braced on my knees. For jerry to hit something unsupported with a 9mm at alost twice that distance is crazy and i dont care if the target was the size of a car. Jerry is the best out there imho

44man
08-17-2014, 03:31 PM
I agree, did he do it---Sure and so what if it took thousands of shots first. You do not do that stuff with one shot. The best of the best sleep with a gun and dream their way to top. They shoot more in a day then most of us shoot in years. I know I can't afford it. Like most of you, I have work to do, I don't get paid to shoot.