PDA

View Full Version : Lee press bushings??

big bore 99
08-05-2014, 05:12 PM
I reloaded quite a bit years ago, but sold all my stuff and gave it up. Now that I'm retired with too much time on my hands, I'm trying to retool and get back into it. I've been going over old threads and still confused. On their single stage presses, is there a bushing you need to buy along with the press to use standard dies? I'm not interested in the quick change stuff, and just want to screw my dies in and do it. Maybe I'll just get a RCBS ?

troyboy
08-05-2014, 07:11 PM
You can buy the classic cast or the reloader press and neither one requires bushings. If you are only going to have one press the classic cast is the one.

GrantA
08-05-2014, 07:17 PM
If you don't want quick change just steer clear the ones labeled "breech lock" that's how you'll know they take bushings

r1kk1
08-05-2014, 10:17 PM
Presses are threaded these days for 7/8x14 dies. If you want to use Hornady LNL bushings for quick die changes then your choice is:

RCBS Rock Chucker
RCBS Summit
Redding Big Boss
Redding Big Boss II
Redding Ultramag
Lee Classic Cast non breechlock single stage
Hornady

or you can screw dies in and out as you want. Too many presses to list.

the original quick change press is the Forster COAX (remember Bonanza?)

What press did you have back then?

take care

r1kk1

texassako
08-05-2014, 10:21 PM
I have a Lee press with the Breech Lock. I just leave the bushing it came with in it and screw in/out the dies as needed.

1johnlb
08-05-2014, 10:50 PM
The bushings are for the ability to quickly and easily go from one die to another and back without having to sit up the die each time. If you are buying the starter kit it comes with 3 bushings. I THINK the press only, comes with one bushing.

big bore 99
08-06-2014, 12:00 AM
Thanks for all the tips. Had an old RCBS along with the whole setup. Sold it all years ago and never thought I'd be getting back into it. It all started with cleaning the rifle one day...

zuke
08-06-2014, 04:13 AM
Get a LEE Classic turret. Set your dies once and use multipul turret to quick change your dies.

dudel
08-06-2014, 09:34 AM
If you don't want quick change just steer clear the ones labeled "breech lock" that's how you'll know they take bushings

No need to steer clear of the ones labeled "Breech Lock". Those come with one breech lock bushing installed. You just screw you dies in and out of the supplied bushing without ever removing it.

gwpercle
08-06-2014, 01:09 PM
You gonna be amazed at how much new reloading gear cost now a days. The price of presses, dies and such just blows me away. Thank The Good Lord for Lee products or a lot of us couldn't afford stuff.
Gary

Ed Barrett
08-06-2014, 02:35 PM
I always thought presses were high priced in the old days. (1960's) Look in some of the old catalogs and get ready for sticker shock when you consider wages back then. When Lee came out with their gear (Lee loader) it got many people into reloading. I guess I'm just too old since I remember those times. I started reloading in 1953 and it was considered extravagant. Luckily An old timer had the equipment and let me learn on his press.

r1kk1
08-07-2014, 09:00 PM
I inherited my grandfather's 8mm-06. Yep no factory ammo. I use to use Old Western Scrounger for hard to find stuff like 33 Winchester, 38-56, 38-40, etc. The prices were steep when found. I would spend hours looking into data books and found numerous loads that were not factory loaded and if they were, a box of 20 cost more than my 100 cartridges I loaded. I remember cutting wads for my uncles shotguns, the one piece plastic 12 gauge wad I seen was mid 70s. I load a ½ oz 12 gauge load for crows and works well. No factory load.

It was the high price of factory ammo, coupled with availability and loads offered that started me into it. Granted, my family didn't buy much factory outside of rimfire. Equipment is amortized over a lifetime of use. It's not a consumable such as powders, primers and bullets. I have tools that work and others were sent back, regardless of price. I have no brand loyalty. I don't care, it's a tool that better work or it's gone. i don't thank any company that sells me a tool. They better thank me for my business.

I would cover the Craigslist ads to look for used, maybe vintage equipment. Some of you guys are from the period of time when craftsmanship truly mattered. A time where it was ok to severely overbuild things. I've had the pleasure of pulling the handle on some truly works of art from days gone by. I wish I own them but the owners are very attached!

take care

r1kk1

troyboy
08-07-2014, 11:14 PM
Nostalgia is one thing. Tools are another. Just because it was overbuilt and old does not make it better. Today the tolerances are tighter and the tooling reflects this. We pay less for more.