PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure?

daengmei
08-05-2014, 05:09 PM
I just acquired one and am not sure if I can load pistol loads with it. One advertiser says 10-150g loads. While cleaning I notice that the measuring screw can be turned in so far that the cylinder won't turn. And I was very cautious, didn't lock it up. Just enough adjustment so the cylinder is free leaves a very small area for powder. Has anyone used this for 3-5 grain loads? Using RedDot and possibly Unique powder if possible.
Thanks
Jim

MostlyLeverGuns
08-05-2014, 05:25 PM
There are two cylinders available for the RCBS Uniflow. The 'small charge' cylinder is designed to handle smaller charges (0? to 50 grains) than the '10-150' cylinder. The small charge cylinder will throw the small charges much more consistently than the 'large' cylinder due to its smaller bore hole and powder cutoff area. The smaller cylinder is available from most of the reloading suppliers carrying RCBS - MidwayUSA, Graf's, Midsouth, etc. For your 3-5 grain loads, it will better in your measure.

Adk Mike
08-05-2014, 09:13 PM
I've had one for 35 years. I only really use the small cylinder. Most of my loading is Unigue or Bullseye. 5rains of Unique or 3.5 of bullseye. Works Great.
The bigger cylinder I use with 30-06 type loads over 50 grains like 4350.

rpludwig
08-06-2014, 05:56 AM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/654966/rcbs-uniflow-powder-measure-micrometer-adjustment-screw-large-685-diameter#ReviewHeader

invest in one of these, won't regret it...

daengmei
08-06-2014, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the help understanding what I had already read...the info just didn't make sense at the time. Is there such a thing as "Reloader's Insurance"? :oops:

JWT
08-06-2014, 09:20 AM
I use the uniflow with the micrometer stem from 2.3 grains of 231 for my 38 to 107 grains of 4831sc(I think, I'm out of town so I can't check) for my 416 Rigby with good results. Just be consistent in your operation. For rifles I tap the handle/cylinder against its upper stop twice then drop the charge. I always weigh to verify rifles but I reload handgun using the powder measure on my piggyback progressive.

Mk42gunner
08-06-2014, 05:14 PM
I have a Uniflow with only the large drum. I have in the past used it for loads of 4.4 grains of W231, which I used in .38 Special, but it would not do the 2.5 Red Dot for my .32 S&W Long.

My solution was to buy a Lyman 55, I like it better for the small charges. Since I bought it at an auction where nobody else knew what it was, I got it and the stand for $17.50.

Basically, I am saying try it, but don't be surprised it doesn't measure the small charges.

Robert

Shiloh
08-07-2014, 06:54 PM
Do you have the small drum??

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/917289/rcbs-uniflow-powder-measure-cylinder-assembly-small?cm_vc=ProductFinding

I got a small drum at a gun-show from a guy who had lots of reloading odds and ends. Had some rust on it but it didn't look bad. cleaned up very nicely and I've been using it for decades.

Shiloh

BruceB
08-07-2014, 07:05 PM
My Uniflow has only the small-size drum, but I've been using it with great satisfaction for over thirty years (at least).

When the load calls for a charge larger than the small cylinder can meter, I just divide the number of grains in two, and drop TWO charges for each case (for large-case rounds like the .416 Rigby and .404 Jeffery which can require charges of over 100 grains of powder).

When doing this, I check-weigh each TOTAL charge, just to assure myself that "tolerances" are not getting out of hand.

This system works well, but if a large drum should come along, I'd likely grab it.

Rod B
08-12-2014, 05:23 PM
I use only the small drum. Had the large one & gave it to a shooting buddy.

daengmei
08-12-2014, 07:41 PM
Small drum ordered.
Thanks for the help.

Shiloh
08-13-2014, 06:24 PM
Small drum ordered.
Thanks for the help.

If you got it from Midway. did yu take advantage of the rebate?? It all adds up and eventually equates into an additional pound of powder or such.

Shiloh