PDA

View Full Version : How can I shrink my nose? (boreriders)

ohland
08-05-2014, 02:18 PM
Someone claimed that with perseverance and diddling with alloy and heat, they were able to reduce the as-cast diameter of the nose of their boolit.

Can someone tell me a story? I'm on my nap-time mat and I have a cup of warm milk and a fresh chocolate chip cookie to help me concentrate...

Doc_Stihl
08-05-2014, 02:24 PM
Mold release is one way.
Less Tin and antimony should help.
The last time I had a nose a bit too big I used pewter to harden. I used pure and just enough pewter to get the desired hardness when water dropped. It may have been I was casting cooler or hotter or some other factor, but when it worked for me.

Bullshop
08-05-2014, 04:12 PM
Nose sizing is another option. I have a 6.5x57 with almost no throat and a couple Loverin type boolits I like to shoot in it. If seated normally these designs will have several lube grooves in the powder chamber of the case in order to chamber. The solution was to nose size the first several drive bands in a .258" sizer. I adjusted the amount of sizing so the gas check stays in the case neck and the forward drive bands become bore riders. With nose sizing you can perfectly fit the nose to your rifles bore diameter to positively ride the lands.

Yodogsandman
08-05-2014, 04:17 PM
The last batch I made up, I believe, I got a few pure lead ingots mixed in, instead of WW ingots and my noses were about .002"-.003" smaller.

Beagle333
08-05-2014, 04:19 PM
This worked great for me. Ben posted a great thread on it too.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?225875-Is-your-nose-too-big

GoodOlBoy
08-05-2014, 04:26 PM
Well I would say the first thing to do would be to quit picking at it! Let the swellin go down some, maybe put a little ice on it....

GoodOlBoy

44man
08-05-2014, 04:42 PM
Size the nose with a dedicated lapped Lee die.

ohland
08-05-2014, 05:12 PM
This worked great for me. Ben posted a great thread on it too.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?225875-Is-your-nose-too-big

What is the measured OD of the Redding Neck Sizing Bushings? .500? or .501? Think of getting a .500-ish H&I wide enough for the OD of the bushing. Use a set screw or threaded collar inside to provide a positive stop for the bushing. Use the thin fender washer or whatnot to hold the bushing inside, so the boolit does not pull it out. Hmm, maybe I'm too high on coffee, but the collar inside could be used to hold a top punch...

This is oddly appealing. To quote Redding:
"Redding Neck Sizing Bushings are available in two styles. Both share the same external dimensions (1/2" O.D. x 3/8" long) and freely interchange in all Redding Bushing style Neck Sizing Dies. They are available in .001" size increments throughout the range of .185" thru .368", covering all calibers from .17 to .338 and clearly marked with size I.D. By selecting the correct bushing, you are now able to provide just the right amount of neck tension to properly hold the bullet without excessive resizing.

243winxb
08-05-2014, 08:19 PM
Bushing OD is .501" and the chamber it sits in is .510" Have you tried a lead/tin alloy with maximum heat? No antimony.

ohland
08-06-2014, 10:50 AM
Bushing OD is .501" and the chamber it sits in is .510" Have you tried a lead/tin alloy with maximum heat? No antimony.

Wow, there is a .501 H&I die.

Lead/Tin, max heat. The vast majority of my stash is WW :sad:. Is there a way to remove Sb?

milrifle
08-06-2014, 12:27 PM
What happens if the bore riding section is too big and gets slightly engraved by the lands? Is there an acceptable amount of oversized nose?

Bullshop
08-06-2014, 02:03 PM
What happens if the bore riding section is too big and gets slightly engraved by the lands? Is there an acceptable amount of oversized nose?
I would think that the amount of acceptable oversize will be regulated by two things, accuracy and free chambering.

milrifle
08-06-2014, 02:38 PM
Thanks Bullshop. I have a new mould that the bullets won't push into the muzzle end , but loaded cartridges will chamber. I have not had time to do any development as of yet, but didn't see anything WAY out of the ordinary with the few that I shot.

ohland
08-06-2014, 07:39 PM

If I had a chamber seating tool, that would be interesting. Otherwise, to me, that would require a good crimp (or use of black) to keep the boolit from being pressed back into the case when chambered. Es la verdad?

beagle
08-06-2014, 10:41 PM
Ben's idea works. Years ago, Egan made tapered nose sizing dies and I bought one. Has a 1.5 degree taper and fits in my sizer. Amount of reduction is controlled by the bottom screw and you end up with a very nice tapered nose that fits perfectly and solves the problem.

I imagine buckshot or one of these lathe gurus could make one easily enough. They can also make a straight sizer die that will size the nose to whatever diameter you desire. I've been that route. However, you must start with a blank die as the existing lube holes in a smaller diameter die that has been opened up will allow the lead to extrude into the holes and it's impossible to remove the bullet without damage. There, that's my contribution to cast bullet knowledge for the day./beagle

44man
08-07-2014, 11:51 AM
The collar dies are wonderful but when you live under SS you go dirt cheap and the Lee die can be lapped. Buckshot might be the way to go too.
It is really easy to size the nose. I started with a .285" Lee and it took no time at all to get to .301".

Wayne Smith
08-07-2014, 12:06 PM
I would think that the amount of acceptable oversize will be regulated by two things, accuracy and free chambering.

Three things Dan. Add the ability to remove the cartridge without leaving the boolit behind.

Bullshop
08-07-2014, 01:59 PM
True that and I over looked it. Good thing we are a team!