PDA

View Full Version : 280468S (6.0 gr Unique / Tasco scope)

ohland
08-05-2014, 01:35 PM

50 yards. Looks more like horizontal dispersion. Something is most likely wrong between the bench and the trigger.

TC Contender, G1 action, 6.8mm Remington SPC, 23" G2 rifle barrel.
280468S, sized to .278
6.0 gr Unique
CCI 200 LRP
Rem R-P brass

Using a Rock BR front rest, weighs a bit BUT it does vertical and horizontal adjustment. Next time I will have to turn the base of the rest around. Right now, one foot is out to the front, and the other two are rearward. I dislike having a foot under the rifle, but the height lock knob is to the front and right, hard to get to.

Ben
08-05-2014, 01:43 PM
Deleted

08-05-2014, 02:00 PM
Lots of room to experiment, but I would start questioning your seating depth. If it were me I'd try a few variations. Further, what's the bore slug at vis-a-vis your sizing choice.

ohland
08-05-2014, 02:13 PM
Lots of room to experiment, but I would start questioning your seating depth. If it were me I'd try a few variations. Further, what's the bore slug at vis-a-vis your sizing choice.

Personally, I question my sanity. The seating depth is @ 2.150-ish, when the action is closed, the boolit is pushed back in the case. Not a whole lot of leade here.

If I diddle the seating depth carefully, I can get it off the lands and have the GC about half in the base of the neck.

ohland
08-06-2014, 07:56 PM
Well, my Lyman .280 H&I die came in the mail today. Wasn't long until I ripped the mailer open and staggered downstairs. Controlled my breathing and frenzied fingers getting the .278 H&I die out of my LAM II, then spent a good ten minutes carefully digging out the remains of some blue loob (apache blue?) that was tenaciously holding on about the cavity. From the looks of the outside of the .278 H&I, the softer loob was trying to flow around the blue stuff.

Note - if you replace a hard loob with a softer loob, and the fill of the grooves is helter-skelter (won't fill unless heated, then squirts out) check the cavity around the H&I die for a mix of the hard / soft stuff. It can make you start drinking... more... A heat gun on the chamber is more focused than a loob heater... The loob heater must have heated up the soft lube in the reservoir, cranking real hard added enough pressure to force it by the hard lube, but never really got the hard loob in the chamber to soften up enough to be pushed into the H&I die by the soft loob.

Popped the die in, snugged it down. No heat, just cranked away like a good loob monkey, and running a boolt in to czech. Adjusted the sizing depth so the Kephard band was not touched. Loob stayed fairly well behaved, nothing under the GC.

Resized some primed cases. Took the expander ball / rod out of the Lee sizer. Not needed as I don't size to jacketed bullet diameter. Sized 20 cases, followed up with the 27R M-die. Used a sized / GCd boolit to czech the amount of belling.

Fired up the UPM. Each 5.0 grains of Unique was poured into the sacred brass with a prayer, and each charged case was then mated with a blessed 280468S, sized to .280, to a COL of 2.108. That mystical number came from the rifle spirit, er, closing the Contender auto-sized to 2.110, so I snugged it down a wee but.

I expect to be pulling the trigger on plumbous excitement soon.