PDA

View Full Version : RCBS seems to have problems

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-25-2008, 03:28 PM
I had some problems with my RCBS 110V automated trimmer and needed some replacement parts. I called RCBS at the 1-800-533-5000 customer service number. I get a recording that says their customer service hours are from 6:30 AM to 3:00 PM M-F. I've never know them to have such limited hours in all my years of dealing with them. I look over at my computer clock and my alarm clock and it's 2:30 PM Eastern Standard time, so they aren't even answering the phone when they say they're available.

So I start checking out the website and see if something has changed. Apparently it has. They now appear to be owned by ATK ammunition group, whoever they are. Here's the link information:

http://www.rcbs.com/general/aboutus.aspx

So then I check out their warranty page. It's changed as well, significantly it appears, unless my memory is fooling me:

http://www.rcbs.com/general/warranty.aspx

I know they're making Rock Chuckers in China now and was wondering if anyone else has recently used their warranty service and if it was as good as it once was. Obviously, they've limited the available hours to call customer service to time periods making it tougher for folks across the country to get hold of them.

I hope this doesn't spell a downturn in RCBS customer service and warranty support. It doesn't look good.

Dave

MSgtUSMC
01-25-2008, 05:01 PM
Last month I received my fourth electronic scale/measure combo after receiving three that were defective. I dealt with RCBS both by E-mail and telephone. They were prompt in their responses and resolved the problem satisfactorily going so far as testing the unit they sent me to ensure it functioned properly before shipment. What you say is not what I experienced. If this is a new procedure for RCBS it is most disappointing.

nicholst55
01-25-2008, 05:02 PM
RCBS has been owned by ATK for several years, now. I can see them NOT offering a lifetime warranty on electronic equipment - nobody else does; same with commercial use.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-25-2008, 05:34 PM
I'm not as concerned with the lifetime warranty thing as I am with the not being available during normal business hours.

Dave

BigSlick
01-25-2008, 05:59 PM
They've been closed on Fridays for years now ;)
________
Friend advice forums (http://www.love-help.org/friend-advice/)

jrgift
01-25-2008, 06:55 PM
ATK has a plant about 20 miles from my location they make rocket motors for the military.The co. also owns Federal Ctg.

LET-CA
01-25-2008, 07:00 PM
I thought their customer service number was Mon thru Thurs (Not Friday)

LET-CA
01-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Customer Service
1-800-533-5000 (US or Canada) or 530-533-5191
Hours: Monday - Thursday, 6:30am - 3:00pm (hours may vary)
e-mail: rcbs.tech@atk.com • www.rcbs.com
RCBS • 605 Oro Dam Blvd. • Oroville, CA 95965

This is from one of their instruction books

happy7
01-25-2008, 07:33 PM
I have had dealings with RCBS customer service twice in the last two weeks and several times before that. Service has always been outstanding, and attitude excellent. The last time was via email. I told them what I wanted. I got an email back saying it was in the mail. I have found their service to be better than Dillon, who despite their reputation, I have not always found to be very helpful.

RCBS has a parts list on their website which you can download and see what part you need. I just emailed it to them and that worked very well.

94Doug
01-25-2008, 08:33 PM
I needed a new timer for my rotary case cleaner this year, and with one email, a replacement was in the mail. The tubler was quite old, and when the timer came in it was a bit different. One more email solved that, just use ignore two screws. The part was free by the way. I was happy.

Doug

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-26-2008, 12:06 AM
Well dang, I'm obviously brain dead. It's Friday. I"ve forgotten what day it was.

Dave

singleshotbuff
01-26-2008, 12:23 AM
Having used Lee equipment for much of my reloading career, ever since I got started with a Lee loader in 35 Remington, I have bought the occasional RCBS gear when it suited my needs and the price was right. I have found their customer service to be great, even when the item was puchased used. Case in point;

Last year, I bought an RCBS electronic scale CHEAP at a gunshow. Got it home and it was stuck in some sort of calibration mode (thus it was cheap I guess). I knew RCBS didn't have a warranty "per se " on older, used electronic equipment, but I figured it was worth a phone call.

Bottom line, they talked me through how to "reset" the scale, then asked for my address and mailed me the instruction sheet and all other paperwork for the scale. They also asked if I needed a new scale pan or calibration weights!!

As much as I like the value of Lee equipment, as well as some of the innovation, you do get what you pay for in a name like RCBS. Their service is, and always has been, top notch.

I can see more GREEN things joining my electronic scale, my 505 beam scale and my JR3 press.

SSB

MT Chambers
01-26-2008, 12:45 AM
What concerns me most is "Chinese Rockchuckers", Fred must be rolling over in his grave.

sundog
01-26-2008, 08:43 AM
Just like we used to say in the Army, "Green is groovy."

scb
01-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Your right MT. While RCBS's customer service is good they are no where's near the company they were when the Huntington's owned it. They where shooters. Now it's run by corporate pin heads who's only gage is a P&L statement.

quasi
01-30-2008, 02:27 AM
They probably found out you are a Loc-n-load owner!

mtgrs737
01-30-2008, 11:20 AM
Once a company is run by a board of directors and not by the founder things change and not for the better sometimes. Don't get me wrong, profit is the reason any company is in business, however a company that neglects it customers is doomed in my experiance. Has anyone else wondered why Stihl Chainsaws have never been offered in chain stores or bigbox stores? It is because the founder of the company realized early on that a good dealer was nessasary to set up his product for the customer and service it if needed later for the customer to be happy with the product. There are few products retailed like this in America, but those that are enjoy a level of customer sadisfaction and return sales. I can think of other products and companies that take care of the customer like RCBS, Springfield Armory, and Dillon, but they are few and far between.

NVcurmudgeon
01-30-2008, 11:40 AM
What concerns me most is "Chinese Rockchuckers", Fred must be rolling over in his grave.

Is there such a thing? Do I have to do micro-examination on RCBS products now?

EMC45
01-30-2008, 12:29 PM
They are definitely cast in China! They had an article in Handloader about the inner workings of RCBS and they explained how they cast them in China and milled them here. I was disappointed. I have a RC and really like it, but I also have a Lee Classic Cast and believe it to be a better press! I like the used primer collection system better, and the balance point of the handle is nice. Oh yeah the fact that it says Cast in The USA on the side is nice as well!

PatMarlin
01-30-2008, 02:30 PM
I look over at my computer clock and my alarm clock and it's 2:30 PM Eastern Standard time, so they aren't even answering the phone when they say they're available.

If you're calling 2:30 pm eastern time, that puts you at 5:30 PST, and they're not open.

PatMarlin
01-30-2008, 02:32 PM
Oops. I see this is an old thread.

There's no one in California casting iron anymore.

felix
01-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Pat, you got the times backwards. 5 eastern is 2 pacific. ... felix

PatMarlin
01-30-2008, 03:59 PM
You're right Felix,

That's whaat I get for posting to much, and not enough coffee.. :mrgreen:

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-30-2008, 05:24 PM
ya'll are making me feel better. I actually called on Friday and they're closed on Fridays. Dagnabit.

Dave

Dale53
01-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Actually;
2:30 EST is 11:30 PST... The west coast is BEHIND the east coast three hours, NOT ahead.

Dale53

Dale53
01-30-2008, 06:11 PM
Pat;
You were not fast enough (I saw it:mrgreen:).

Dale53

hungryhuntergirl
01-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Finally got someone to answer today and they do have the dies I was lookin fer!!

PatMarlin
01-30-2008, 07:04 PM
I'll have you know I'm smart enough to desipher time sones Mr... :mrgreen:

Swagerman
01-30-2008, 07:44 PM
Did he mean Pine Cones??? They got those in Kalifornia. :mrgreen:

Jim

crowbeaner
01-30-2008, 10:12 PM
You guys crack me up. RCBS has the best products for the reloading buck; their warranty is free. "If it breaks or doesn't work we'll fix or replace it free forever." How can you possibly beat that? I had to have some stuff replaced YEARS ago when Jay Postman ran the warranty dept. Grand old guy, I hope he caught some big fish when he retired. I had to have a new sprue plate for my aging 38-150-KT mould this summer. 1 phone call on a Monday during their business hours, and it came in the mail on Friday. Free, and thank you for calling. Is there anything else you need? THE BEST. CB.

CNJarvis
01-30-2008, 10:43 PM
2:30 PM EST would be 11:30 PST. Could be that they were out to lunch.

I've had nothing but good luck with RCBS' customer service. Outstanding people to deal with.

DLCTEX
01-30-2008, 11:40 PM
Pat??? isn't that backward? Dale

PatMarlin
01-30-2008, 11:51 PM
No.

Depends on which way you are headed... :groner: ....sheesh.

TNsailorman
01-31-2008, 09:54 AM
I just received some replacement parts(decap pins, set screws, and lock nut) from them yesterday. I had no problem either getting their customer service on the phone or in getting the parts (for free no less) in 3 days. I have never had one problem with either RCBS, Dillon, or Redding--only Lee. My experience anyway.

georgeld
02-06-2008, 03:52 AM
I recently started using a RCBS 5.7 FN die to size my 17x28 case's made from 5.7 brass.

Stuck one in the die even with more lube than it should have needed and had been using on the same case a few minutes before. I was trying for ten shots thru the same case to test a load. Fifth time it stuck.

Like always when they do, and nothing works. I generally end up with a major problem over it. This time I had the head off and the body still stuck when I gave up and mailed it back to Cal. Along with two S shaped .17 cal pins that are very soft and wad up without much effort.

All I included were these parts and my return info. A few days later I got a new die and die box. But, no 17 pins. The pins I sent also had the nuts on them as the threaded rod was bent tight against them both and couldn't get the nuts off.

I sent an e'm explaining what the deal was and just a few days two new pins came without the nuts. Am glad I've got extra nuts! hehe!!

Service was good, but, they were sleeping on the job. I've just let it drop this time. They've sent things I didn't deserve many times and some never asked for. great company no matter who owns them ----so far. Hope it stays that way.