PDA

View Full Version : Ballard assembly / disassembly instructions

Chill Wills
08-04-2014, 09:48 PM
Gentlemen, I am looking for a place to buy or copy (Marlin) Ballard rifle assembly / disassembly instructions.

I have a 22rf that the firing pin (fp) does not always hit the case rim when the hammer falls. The rifle just started doing this. The fp sets off the round most of the time but some times it does not even make a mark on the case. I want to have a look inside it and I have never even been inside this rifle.

Thanks in advance, Chill Wills

22cf45
08-05-2014, 04:19 PM
Chill
The only place I know that has a schematic is the Ballard book by John Dutcher. However, if you'll call me @ 816-617-2406, I'll walk you thru it. It is fairly simple but it would be easier to tell you rather than type it.
Phil

Chill Wills
08-06-2014, 12:19 AM
I only see the old mechanical drawings from Ball and Williams and earlier and the hammerless variations adapted. Nothing for Marlin, which might not be much different but what I am really looking for is the step by step text and pictures like in JB Wood gunsmith books. Or something like it. I will look again as I have Dutcher's book.

Thank you for your very generous offer to let me call. I could do that too-and might, but I am hoping to find a printed reference to keep around the shop. .... My memory being what it is these days:-P
Chill Wills

john hayslip
08-06-2014, 12:09 PM
Check out Single Shot Rifles by Frank DeHaas. I think I still have a copy - if you can't find a copy locally PM me and if I still have it (didn't find it where it should be) I'll make a copy and send it to you. Nothing complicated to them.

Green Frog
08-08-2014, 09:46 AM
IIRC, the NRA Firearms Disassembly Book for rifles has the Marlin Ballard in it... I know there was an article in the AR many years ago, and think it was reprinted there. Even if you have a good "exploded view" (unfortunate term for rifles, huh?) the assembly and disassembly is pretty straightforward.

As for your immediate problem, starting with a rifle confirmed unloaded, open the lever part way, unscrew the large axis screw through the receiver and lever link and drop the entire "action" (block assembly) out of the receiver shell. There will be several screws holding the halves of the block together, and after removing them, everything is pretty obvious to anyone with average mechanical skills and experience. Reassembly is similarly obvious.

Froggie

PS Is this an original Marlin Ballard with original 22 rf chambering and firing pin? This does​ make a difference!

PPS Article in AR was in the June, 1963 issue. There are at least two copies of the article on sale on flea-Bay right now.

Chill Wills
08-08-2014, 06:03 PM
Froggie PS Is this an original Marlin Ballard with original 22 rf chambering and firing pin? This does​ make a difference!

No. It is from Cody, WY about 7-8 years ago. I got it on a whim from Steve Garbe when the wheels fell off the Cody production with the sale of Ballard to the Detroit ownership.
I used it in the 22fr BPCR silhouette nationals and it developed FTF near the end of the match. I would like to take it apart to clean and oil it and maybe check the fly. As is now, the rifle either fires the round or does not even make a mark on the rim.

The darn thing has become one of my most used and favorite rifles. Too bad ammo is such a joke to come by now.

It was love at first sight

Green Frog
08-10-2014, 04:17 PM
CW, if disassembling it by the means described in the AR article mentioned and giving it a thorough cleaning doesn't take care of the problem, I suggest getting in touch with Steve. He's still in business as Wyoming Armory, IIRC. I'm guessing you have a problem with your FP being fouled in its channel or a problem with the main spring. It's probably not going to be that big a fix.

Froggie