PDA

View Full Version : My Swedish "family"…

Typecaster
08-04-2014, 01:01 PM
I'm finally checking out some of the rifles my dad had when he died and I just put into the storage unit, and what I remembered as a M96 Swede is actually a lovely 1941 Husky M38! Bore is beautiful to the unaided eye, a little bluing is worn on the rear sight, and there are a few dings on the buttstock near the buttplate.

His acquisition of this rifle—the last one he bought—still makes me smile. I think he was 98 at that time, and we made our usual circuit of the gun shops in Prescott when I went over to visit. He always liked my M96, so when he saw 4-5 Swedes in the rack he decided he "needed" one. We checked them all, and he chose one and paid for it. Then it got funny…never a fan of the government forms, he had to wait while the manager called it in. And wait. And wait. After about half an hour, the manager came out from the office and explained that my dad was "just too old." Not to buy a gun, but the only way they could do a background check was to say he was born in 1921 instead of 1911. On his 100th birthday he was still talking about how "buying a gun could make you younger."

Richard

Yodogsandman
08-04-2014, 07:22 PM
Leave it to the ATF for thier buracratic bunglry! BTW, nice rifles, your dad had good taste and good humor!

Uncle Grinch
08-04-2014, 08:01 PM
Nice rifles. nice story and better yet, nice memories.

Huffmanite
08-07-2014, 08:18 PM
A good story. Thanks for sharing it. Idiot ATF!!!!