PDA

View Full Version : Wrong Primers!

snaketail
08-04-2014, 09:55 AM
I loaded up some cast boolits and went to the range. My .45 Colt Rossi Rifle normally shoots under 2" groups at 50 yards - but this time the point of impact was all over the pace - the best I could do was a 5" group at 50 yards. Something was wrong so I packed up and went home.

It turns out I had picked up a box of CCI Magnum Primers by mistake and they was giving me erratic results. My standard load is Starline cases, Winchester Large Pistol Primers, IMR 4227 powder and a 255gr RNFN boolit.

Should I just go by a box of Winchester primers or try to adjust my load for the magnum primers (how?)?

M

GoodOlBoy
08-04-2014, 03:11 PM
Set the magnum primers aside for use in a new load (trail boss, or holy black) and pickup the primers you KNOW works for your load. To bad you are in Missouri I would be happy to swap out with you.

GoodOlBoy

fouronesix
08-04-2014, 03:19 PM
IMO- just get some standard primers and set the magnum primers aside for when they are needed… like big charges of ball powder or true large capacity cases.

snaketail
08-07-2014, 10:47 AM
Rather than reinvent the wheel I bought another brick of regular Large Pistol Primers. The cases that I had already primed with magnum primers I use to shoot some old rubber "Target" bullets in the basement...minimal accuracy at 20 feet, but a fun way to use up the magnum primers. I'll save the rest of them for some project to be named at a later time.

Thanks,
Michael

Tatume
08-07-2014, 11:58 AM
Shooting primers indoors contaminates your home with lead.

bobby65
08-07-2014, 02:29 PM
Tatume is the lead in the primers?

M-Tecs
08-07-2014, 03:11 PM
Unless labeled as having 'lead free primers', the primary explosive agent in primers is lead styphnate. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_styphnate

snaketail
08-13-2014, 04:22 PM
I removed all the Magnum primers and replaced them with standard primers. Guess I'll find a use for the magnums some day.

M

leeggen
08-13-2014, 09:17 PM
Snaketail, if nothing else use the mag primers with some glulets. You only need the primer to shoot them.
CD