PDA

View Full Version : 44-40 Win with Wano Sporting Powder

Klaus
08-04-2014, 07:31 AM
Load 28 grs of Wano Sporting Powder FFFg covered with a Milkcarton and set a RCBS Bullet on Top
Emmerts Lube

15 Shots
No Blowtube no wiping on 50 m

Hege Uberti Winchester `73

will try a grease Cookie next Time

Klaus

Nobade
08-04-2014, 08:06 PM
Why such a light load?

-Nobade

Klaus
08-05-2014, 03:54 AM
Why such a light load?

-Nobade

recommended by .44WCF aka John Kort at CascityForum

28 grs. are mentioned at the original Winchester Cataloge
And as a load for the Henry.

all Impacts in the white are depending on me by standing freehand shooting.

Klaus

Nobade
08-05-2014, 07:35 AM
Aah, I see!

-Nobade

w30wcf
08-05-2014, 01:43 PM
Klaus,
Nice shooting from the offhand position :-)

My apologies for not going into a bit more detail about the load that UMC offered. http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,52963.0.html

I had casually mentioned that UMC would have used a wad..... based on my making and shooting some of these cartridges the wad thickness would likely have been at least 3/16" (5mm) thick. They likely would have compressed the powder charge a bit first or compressed it with the wad in place. Hard to say.

Anyway, as I mentioned, I used PSB (Poly Shot Buffer) to fill the space between the powder and the bullet since I do not have wads of the proper thickness. Cream of Wheat or Corn Meal would likely work as well.

I found that historic loading when assembled as above, would produce groups at 100 yards in the 2-3" range from the bench.

Have fun!
w30wcf

Klaus
08-08-2014, 04:59 AM
Klaus,
Nice shooting from the offhand position :-)

My apologies for not going into a bit more detail about the load that UMC offered. http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,52963.0.html

I had casually mentioned that UMC would have used a wad..... based on my making and shooting some of these cartridges the wad thickness would likely have been at least 3/16" (5mm) thick. They likely would have compressed the powder charge a bit first or compressed it with the wad in place. Hard to say.

Anyway, as I mentioned, I used PSB (Poly Shot Buffer) to fill the space between the powder and the bullet since I do not have wads of the proper thickness. Cream of Wheat or Corn Meal would likely work as well.

I found that historic loading when assembled as above, would produce groups at 100 yards in the 2-3" range from the bench.

Have fun!
w30wcf

Morning w30wcf,

have you got any pics about the reduced 28 grs. of 44-40 Win loads at your side ?

You have got showing some broken Loads of 44-40 Win on other sides

Klaus

w30wcf
08-09-2014, 08:44 AM
Morning Klaus,
I'm not sure what you are asking for. Are you looking for a sectioned 28 gr. cartridge that would Show the powder, wad and bullet? I could make up one with what I think UMC used and take a picture of it. I have an original bullet I pulled from UMC cases containing 40 grs. Of b.p. that I would use in the pic.

Broken loads - Are you thinking about a cartridge that has had the powder and bullet removed and a picture of those?

w30wcf