PDA

View Full Version : About to pull the trigger

wyrmzr
08-03-2014, 10:09 PM
I got a Lee furnace today; bought it from the guy who started my addiction to casting. It's the 10 lb unit, he's probably had it 20+ years, but it wasn't enough capacity for him. So, it's now mine, hardly used.
I have confirmed it works, by melting about 5 lbs of lead in it, and also getting it cleaned up. There was some rust inside, so I had to work on the bottom pour spout to make sure it flowed properly, as well as closes once I'm done pouring. After a few runs with it, it seems to work fine; an occasional drip through it, but not enough to cause concern.
Tomorrow my first real paycheck comes in for the new job, so I'll be buying a mold, sizing die, gas checks, and some PC, probably going to go with the Harbor Freight red to start.
Once those come in, probably by mid week, I'll be casting initially for the 91/30. The mold I'm getting is the Lee DC-312-185, which I'm hoping will work well once the cast bullet has been powder coated (I need .314 or .315 diameter for this barrel, preferably).
Here's hoping it all comes together.

Animal
08-03-2014, 10:16 PM
Very cool. I hope everything works out great. And congrats on the new job!

wyrmzr
08-03-2014, 10:21 PM
Thanks. I've had this job for about 2 months, but the anticipated rollout of a new project has gone far slower than planned, so I've had lots of time to kill, but no money to spend. So, I've gotten in range time, during which a local caster, who's probably been casting for 60 years, made me some .314 bullets to load for the 91/30.
It's the first time I've gotten MOA accuracy out of that gun, and I was instantly hooked. However, it's been lots of planning, but no money to purchase, so the anticipation of starting out has been killing me, but at least I've had plenty of time to lurk here, and do my research, while also talking to him about the do's and don'ts of casting. I'm starting with the 91/30 bullets since I generally shoot fewer of those, and that lets me get experience under my belt. I'm sure I'll end up with several other molds in a big hurry as I get the fever, and as I collect more lead to smelt.

Garyshome
08-03-2014, 10:28 PM
I started with pistol stuff first, got lots of experience real fast, casting & shooting.

wyrmzr
08-03-2014, 11:47 PM
I'd be tempted to start with pistol, but I only have one; rifles, however, are a different story. I will be casting for the pistol, as well as the AR, once I get the experience under my belt, but for now, I do prefer to go with the round I shoot fewer of.
Really just a personal preference; I'd like to see if my cast boolits compare to those of the guy who's in his late 70's/early 80's, who's been casting since he was 16. I may be reaching for some lofty goals in doing so, but I always do. The lower number, in terms of overall pounds of lead, that I'll be using will also be good to start with. I need to start scavenging for WWs and range lead more.
In all honesty, I'd save more money just casting for my rifles, than for my pistols right now. I hope to change that as the cash flow increases (I've sold off some firearms in the last few years), but for now, the rifles are what I shoot regularly.
Not that that's a good thing; my .40 S&W is my EDC, and it's expensive to buy factory bullets to load up for practice. It will likely be my next mold purchase, just so I can get less expensive range time.