PDA

View Full Version : Need help to make sure bullet's seated straight.

danyboy
01-25-2008, 11:09 AM
I need help to find this special tool for checking if a bullet is seated straight in a case. I have seen it in the december 2007 edition of handloader's magazine,
page 49.
If anyone could tell me how it's called and where I could find one, I would appreciate.
Thanks,
Danyboy

waksupi
01-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Hi Dany.
Not sure which gizmo you are looking for. But, if you look at the Cabin Tree lead hardness tester, I believe it will also check for run out.
And in the long run, the hardness tester will be a lot more useful than the run out gauge.
Are you shooting benchrest competition? That is the only thing I could think of that this tool would be somewhat useful, or necessary, for.

Marshal Kane
01-25-2008, 12:17 PM
Don't have the December issue of Handloaders magazine but I think what you're looking for is something like the RCBS Case Master. The Case Master measures case neck thickness, length, and bullet run-out. Might check out the RCBS site to see if this is what you're looking for. This tool is available at most of the shooting supply houses e.g. Graf & Sons, Midway, etc. Hope this helps.

danyboy
01-25-2008, 12:25 PM
The 'gizmo' I'm talking about is some kind of micrometer where you rest the case on and this shaft coming out of the meter measures the distance between the outside of the case to the outside of the bullet. Then, I imagine you turn the cartridge and do the same and the distance should be the same all the way around or else it means your bullet wasn't seated straight and will enter the bore cock eyed and won't make an accurate shot, according to this article.
I am no match guy, just a plinker and hunter but I like precision and noticed that loading hand cast bullets with my swedish mauser M96 is a challenge sometimes and I am not the only one apparently.
So, this 'gizmo' makes sens to me if I can find it.
Danyboy

danyboy
01-25-2008, 12:31 PM
Marshall,
Bingo. That's exactely what I am looking for. Thanks.
Danyboy

Bret4207
01-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Danyboy- As Ric said, check out the Cabin Tree tester. Multi use and supports one of our sponsors here. http://www.castingstuff.com/

http://www.castingstuff.com/atestrunout.JPG

dromia
01-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Bullet alignment is more a function of the seating process rather than case neck thickness. The gauge you are talking about isn't designed to measure bullet run.

Ditto the Cabine Tree recommendations, it measures bullet run out and is the bees knees hardness tester as well.

danyboy
01-25-2008, 05:04 PM
All wright I'll check out the cabine tree tester.
Thanks
Danyboy

35remington
01-25-2008, 09:10 PM
The RCBS Case Master does indeed measure bullet runout - to be clear, this is the alignment of the bullet with the case - in other words, how "straight" it is.

4t5
01-26-2008, 01:12 AM
Back when I was seeking perfect ammo, I bought a dial gage gizmo from Sinclair International. You lay your loaded round on an adjustable bed, locate the dial gage and rotate. It will tell you what your bullet runout is. It sells for about $130.

garandsrus
01-26-2008, 01:17 AM
Here is the Concentricity guage from Sinclair (http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=REMTCG&item=09-150&type=store)...

John

MightyThor
02-03-2008, 02:18 AM
you could probably get the same results from a dial guage and a
LE Wilson case trimmer

1hole
02-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Get yourself a Lyman "M" die expander to help load straighter bullets. It makes a BIG difference because it allows the bullets to start straight enough to end up straight. Any concentricity tester will confirm this.

danyboy
02-06-2008, 10:59 PM
I ordered the RCBS Case Master from Cabelas and ran some cases through and I don't know why I didn't buy this before.
Thanks to everyone for the input.
Danyboy