PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Cowboy Dies .38 Special . .357 Magnum.

williamwaco
08-03-2014, 04:38 PM
I shoot for accuracy and virtually all my shooting is in accuracy experiments.

The past couple of years I have not been satisfied with my .38 Special loads and can't find a combination that
works like I expect.

I "bought the sales pitch" of RCBS and succumbed to the purchase of a set of the Cowboy dies because they are:

"Built to slightly different dimensions than the regular RCBS dies to allow optimum sizing, expanding, seating and crimping needed to load great lead bullet ammo."

They also cost 21 percent more than the regular dies.

The first thing I noticed was that I didn't notice any difference.

I removed the expander plug and miked it and sure enough it was larger.
The Regular expander measured .3552 to .3554.
The cowboy expander measured .3561 to .3562.

Using the max diameters, the cowboy expander is larger by 0.0008.

Now for the sizing die.
Inside diameters are not easily measurable with the tools available to the average reloader so I opted to
bypass the inside measurement and slug the die just like slugging a barrel.

The regular resizer slugged .3716 to .3719
The cowboy die slugged .3718 to .3725
I do not consider that "different".

SO: What is the result. After carefully measurement of 24 once fired cases
Before sizing
After sizing
After expansion
With both die sets.

The cowboy dies produce a case that has a slightly larger inside neck diameter before seating the bullet.

Inside Neck Diameter ( Average )
Of cases processed with the regular dies 0.3554
Of cases processed with the Cowboy dies 0.3557

Not surprisingly, testing indicated no difference in the accuracy of the loaded ammo.

Anybody want to buy a (Nearly) brand new set of Cowboy .38/357 Dies?

GoodOlBoy
08-03-2014, 08:19 PM
Don't feel like the lone ranger, I fell for it years ago when I bought a set of the rcbs cowboy 45 Long Colt dies for the same reason. Other than the coloration (which is nice don't get me wrong) there ain't enough difference in the dies for me to have spent the extra coin. Live and learn.

GoodOlBoy

00buck
08-03-2014, 08:49 PM
How much do you want for the dies?

LUBEDUDE
08-04-2014, 12:40 PM
Well, reading their posted sales pitch, you can't say they lied exactly.

My hat's off to ya on your scientific approach to compare.

But they sure do look puurrdy on the press tough. :)

Pepe Ray
08-04-2014, 02:03 PM
And so now you know why I NEVER buy NEW RCBS gear.--EVER--
I learned ,back in 1975, when RCBS insisted that you needed 2 sets of dies to load 38/357. and again for 44Spl/.44Rem Mag.
It took them several years of diminished sales to re-engineer there dies.
I've never re boarded that train.
TEHO
Pepe Ray

williamwaco
08-04-2014, 09:48 PM
How much do you want for the dies?

Actually, in all fairness, I want to do a little more testing with them.

Weaponologist
08-04-2014, 11:21 PM
williamwaco (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?16066-williamwaco), I've just recently started back reloading Hand gun loads again after years of Rifle loading for IBS Comps. and I was surprised when I hit a home run with my first 38 load. Here is a list and link to what I was using. I'm not Confident enough yet for casting so I'm still toying with a friends casting equipment. So here is what I used... .358 LRN from Lucky13< http://lucky13bullets.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=145> and cci primers and Unique powder 4.4gr the LRN are longer than most I've seen. Hope this helps...

This load works in both my Revolver and my Rifle...

williamwaco
08-05-2014, 02:57 PM
williamwaco (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?16066-williamwaco), I've just recently started back reloading Hand gun loads again after years of Rifle loading for IBS Comps. and I was surprised when I hit a home run with my first 38 load. Here is a list and link to what I was using. I'm not Confident enough yet for casting so I'm still toying with a friends casting equipment. So here is what I used... .358 LRN from Lucky13< http://lucky13bullets.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=145> and cci primers and Unique powder 4.4gr the LRN are longer than most I've seen. Hope this helps...

This load works in both my Revolver and my Rifle...

Interesting.

I do not normally use that bullet but I have done some testing with a couple of years ago in my .357 Mag Contender and my Win 92.

I found it to be as good as the best bullets I have ever used at 50 yards.

My load was considerably hotter because it was a .357 load but I agree. That bullet shoots very well, AND there is no better powder for the .38 special than Unique.