PDA

View Full Version : Steel filings for case cleaning

Virginia John
08-03-2014, 04:34 PM
Could someone enlighten me as to how steel filings (pins) are used in the cleaning of cases? Are these used in tumblers or water baths? Obviously, I have a lot to learn.

rollmyown
08-03-2014, 07:36 PM
They (steel pins) are used in rotary tumblers. Google or youtube Thumlers Tumbler. Stay away from "filings" as smaller and random sized particles will stick in the flash holes and might hide inside cases.

Nueces
08-03-2014, 09:04 PM
Click on the STM ad at the top of this page. Good discussion and video.

RoGrrr
08-12-2014, 04:41 PM
I tried tumbling some brass in blasting media - silicon carbide - and the cases came out matt finish, just like it had been sand blasted.
Then I tried tumbling in steel shot, used for shot peening. Same result.
Both look neat but most people (me included) want shiny.
So I went back to walnut shells.

too many things
08-12-2014, 08:24 PM
the pins are a stainless alloy. not pure steel. you will get a rust haze on brass if you use pure steel. also you have a drying problem as the steel will rust fast.
also they don't work in a vib type cleaner

Weaponologist
08-12-2014, 09:06 PM
The wet Tumbling which uses the SS pins gives you a much better cleaning inside and out where as a Vibratory Tumbler will only clean the outside the best. I used a Dillon Vib Tumbler for years and just changed over to a wet tumbler and love the results. I know it doesn't make a difference from being a Reloader for years. But I like the idea of knowing I can produce a lot of ammo put it up and know it shouldn't get contaminated with any old residue still in the case. As I said I know the old carbon won't hurt the reloaded ammo but I just like starting with a clean case...