PDA

View Full Version : First Attempt at Bayou Bullets Coating (aka Hi-Tek)

Landshark9025
08-03-2014, 04:26 PM
So, I got some of the gold coating for my birthday...along with a toaster oven and some other stuff :). I have been casting 140g SWC for mine and my wife's .357 loaded to 38SPL.

I followed the directions here, but when I sized them (Lee push through sizing die), it looked like it rubbed some of the coating off. I decided to shoot Donnie at Bayou Bullets a quick email along with the pics for advice and got a response back within about 30 min...and this was at 4:30 AM! At any rate, they looked like this:
They really didn't look as bad as the image would suggest. At Donnie's suggestion, I gave them another coat and heat treat. Now they look like this:

Here's what I know so far from loading 100 and shooting them:
1. They do pass through the seating and crimping dies better than the same boolit, sized the same way, with the same brand of case but lubed with the 45-45-10
2. The first ones seemed a bit "smelly". Not sure what that was about.
3. A LOT less smoke and mess than traditional lube or the 45-45-10

So far I haven't noticed any leading with these. I have chrono coming so I am going to load up some of these with same case, same powder, same weight, etc and see if there is any difference. I am sure someone has already done so, but my personal curiosity is going to get the better of me.

Input welcome.

Also: Shameless Plug: If you are thinking about doing this, shoot Bayou an email. Service and response is phenomenal.

Ausglock
08-03-2014, 05:25 PM
G'day Landshark.
Did you do 2 coats before sizing?
Were they really hard to get through the sizer?
Aks Donnie for some of the HI-TEK sizing lube.
It will fix your sizing issues.
Did you get the powder or the liquid coating?
If the liquid, did you get the 2 extreme catalyst? it makes sizing easy without any other sizing lube.
Good job.

Landshark9025
08-03-2014, 07:31 PM
G'day Landshark.
Did you do 2 coats before sizing?

Yes, sir. Two coats prior to sizing. I followed the directions in the "Hi-tek dos and don't" thread.

Were they really hard to get through the sizer?

Not really. They measured .3615 - .362 prior to sizing to .358. Donnie seemed to think part of the issue could be improper alignment going into the sizing die. I was quite careful with the next ones and didn't experience the scraping.

Aks Donnie for some of the HI-TEK sizing lube.
It will fix your sizing issues.
Did you get the powder or the liquid coating?

Liquid. Two part. They don't say "extreme" or "2” on them. So far they seem fine. I only shot about 50 rounds though.

If the liquid, did you get the 2 extreme catalyst? it makes sizing easy without any other sizing lube.

I think the sizing issue is a PEBPAS error (problem exists between press and stool).

Good job.

Thanks!

Moonman
08-07-2014, 01:11 PM
Donnie had regular catalyst and 2-EXTREME catalyst when I ordered
the liquid from him.

I believe you have to ask for the 2-Extreme Catalyst.