PDA

View Full Version : Indifferent range day with 280468S (6.0 grs Unique)

ohland
08-03-2014, 12:56 PM
[smilie=b:

I should have known better. Always take any sling swivel studs out of a Contender stock prior to shooting off a bench. First thing I did when I got back from the range is to unscrew both studs.

Next, you CAN have a scope that is worse than bad iron sights. Old Simmons 2-9 scope (yes, 2x!) would not focus for me. Turned out that the rear lens housing was supposed to have a guide pin that mated with the rear bell... There is no pin in there, and nothing fell out either... Was able to pull the rear lens housing entirely free of the scope, leaving the reticule entirely exposed. Pulled that puppy off after returning and put a 3-9 Leupold on it. Difference of day and night...

It makes me feel like I was inflicting meaningless pain on my Brittany Spaniel. I know the gun and load will perform.

Darned scope would not focus at 25yds, adjusting the ocular (it has + / - on it) got it so it was half focused. It does shoot good enough to hit the big hanger at 75yds.

Other than that, the only FTF was when I put an already fired case in (firing without paying much attention to details) and it went click. I look forward to trying the .280 H&I die on the next batch. The necks on the unfired cases (.278 sized boolits) have an OD of .299, and the fired cases have a neck OD of .306+. This looks promising for sizing to .280, unfired necks should have an OD of .301-ish and SHOULD chamber....

35 shooter
08-03-2014, 06:46 PM
Was shooting well with my encore one day last summer when i noticed all of a sudden every 4th or 5th shot would go straight up 4 or 5 inches for no good reason. I shot 4 or 5 groups that way untill i finally took a look at the rear rest. It had a big groove on the back side of the bag from the rear stud digging into it from recoil from the way i had the rifle rested.
Naturally i had fired my last rounds before i figured out what was going on....hate days like that.

ohland
08-03-2014, 09:57 PM
I'll drag the big front rest down when I return, it is higher than the one I was using today, so I don't have to scrunch down behind the gun. Not happy with the Millet Angle-Locs as a windage device, since they are NOT click adjustable by any means. Better yet, the front and rear rings can be adjusted independent of each other. Cranked out 25 rounds of 280468S / 6.0 gr tonight, ready to take another try at the scope of chance...