PDA

View Full Version : Ammo cost at an auction

Hardcast416taylor
08-03-2014, 11:06 AM
Was looking at an on line auction that had some sporting items listed. A box of new .357 mag. JHP in brass cases of a 50 count box was currently going for $29. Funny thing is the purchase sticker is visible and was for $25.95. The auction goes till tomorrow night, wonder what the winning bid will be?Robert

RED333
08-03-2014, 12:19 PM
Makes me wonder what goes through the minds of some people.

Dale53
08-03-2014, 12:45 PM
In defense of those bidding high, I might suggest if you had to pay $5.00 more for a box of ammo but this allowed you to HAVE a box (as opposed to no ammo) that might not be a really bad thing...

It really makes NO difference what it cost "yesterday" - what it costs today (IF available) is what counts:rolleyes:

Just a thought...

Dale53

M-Tecs
08-03-2014, 01:02 PM
Some people get caught up in the moment and bid stupidly. Others understand they are overpaying but due to a "need" they are willing to do it. Awhile back I needed a uncommon gun part. All the parts houses listed the part for about $20.00 but they had been out of stock for the past five years.

Since I had been looking for over five years I was willing to pay $81.00 for it. If needed I would have paid double what I paid.

jlchucker
08-03-2014, 01:25 PM
Once I heard someone say "people go crazy at auctions". They weren't talking about guns at the time, but I guess that the statement can often be true about anything.

LUCKYDAWG13
08-03-2014, 02:48 PM
i was at a Gun show a few weeks ago a guy was selling a brick of 22LR for $65. there was a wallymart price tag for less then $20. on it
if you put a price on something someone will buy it
[smilie=b:

Hardcast416taylor
08-04-2014, 10:54 PM
Well the auction has ended, some "lucky" bidder got the box of ammo for $34.Robert

Hardcast416taylor
08-11-2014, 10:52 PM
Just saw the end of another online auction by this same company. A box of .357 Mag. Rem. JHP with 40 rounds left in it went for $52! Didn`t realise people around aree willing to pay that much for a partial box?Robert

bedbugbilly
08-12-2014, 09:13 AM
One thing you don't know is "how old" the price sticker is. I haven't purchased "off the shelf" 38 spl for a long time and I don't need to since I reload it. the last time I was at the LGS where I used to buy it, I took a quick look and was amazed at how it had gone up - again.

As mentioned - it depends on the availability of what you need - if you can't find any, then you'll pay a little more "just to have it"

22 ammo is another thing that just blows my mind. I was starting to shoot 22s and was really enjoying it just before everything good a "dive". I hadn't shot 22s since I was a kid when I could o to the loca hardware and buy a brick of it for $5.00. (yea - I'm old!) LOL I had bought two 22 pistols and a couple of new rifles but now, they just "sit". I refuse to pay the inflated price of the ammo. Two years ago, I stood in line and got a number just to buy a bulk bo of it - never again.

What upsets me is that 22 ammo used to be everywhere and when I was a kid, it's what we used all the time. It provided a lot of young people the opportunity to learn how to shoot and about gun safety not to mention a lot of rabbit hunting and knocking squirrels out of trees for the cooking pot. But then a lot of things have changed in this world - and not necessarily for the better.

I have always said that the value of any item is what a willing buyer is going to pay on a given day. I guess we might not like the high price but to that buyer, that box of ammo was worth what he paid for it.

Garyshome
08-12-2014, 10:47 AM
If I didn't have any I would pay more to get some, but I wouldn't buy as much.