PDA

View Full Version : Sharps trigger

jtaylor1960
08-02-2014, 06:27 PM
I am helping a friend restore a 1852 Sharps carbine.The hammer spring was broken so we got it replaced.While showing it to a friend he cocked the hammer.He tried to pull the trigger to let the hammer down but it wouldn't budge.I took it home to take a look.I popped the lock out to take a look and everything looked good.After staring and thinking for a few minutes I tried compressing the spring to lighten the tension and I was able to use the trigger to drop the hammer.My question is what do I do to adjust the tension so It will fire when pulling the trigger with a reasonable amount of tension? Any input?This is my first experience with a Sharps rifle and I am not familiar with the actions.

montana_charlie
08-02-2014, 06:55 PM
I am helping a friend restore a 1852 Sharps carbine.The hammer spring was broken so we got it replaced.While showing it to a friend he cocked the hammer.He tried to pull the trigger to let the hammer down but it wouldn't budge.
Did he pull the hammer to the half cock position?

If the hammer was at full cock, he should have been able to pull the hammer back a little in order to get the trigger to move the sear out of the way.
Is the hammer absolutely as far rearward as it can travel when it's in the full cock position?

After staring and thinking for a few minutes I tried compressing the spring to lighten the tension and I was able to use the trigger to drop the hammer.My question is what do I do to adjust the tension so It will fire when pulling the trigger with a reasonable amount of tension?
There is no tension adjustment for the hammer spring.

If it puts too much pressure on the hammer, and makes it difficut to get the sear to unlatch, the spring must be modified to lessen it's strength.

That can be done 'metalurgically' by heating and changing the temper, or by removing metal to make a thinner spring.

I have done neither, so I can't be of any help beyond what I have said already.

CM

jtaylor1960
08-02-2014, 08:45 PM
I get what you are saying.Even pulling back on the hammer it would not release.There was just too much tension.I was wondering if the spring could be weakened like you said by removing metal.I wasn't sure that was an option.I think we will go to the Gunsmith that installed the spring and see if he can do that for us.Thanks for the help.

bigted
08-02-2014, 09:17 PM
when you say you "got it replaced" what does that mean? if by a gunsmith , then take it back to have the right spring installed. these are as simple as they come ... hoping we are talking about the original style lock with the flat spring instead of some aftermarket coil spring with a rod running thru the center.

these locks have not changed in many years and the spring ... if it fits ... should not bind at all. make sure that the spring is not binding on the outer cover nor on the lock plate itself ... seems like i once had a problem like this on my trapdoor 1884 original [which have the same style hammer plate] and the problem was the screw holding the lock in place thru the wrist of the rifle had gone thru too far and put everything in a bind. it turned out to be the rear screw coming thru the plate and rubbing hard on the hammer itself and when i went to fire it ... the hammer just stayed put as the screw had come thru the plate far enough to hold the hammer from falling. might wanna check out all options before removing any metal or any heating or grinding till the problem is completely understood.

bigted
08-02-2014, 09:18 PM
another thing is that i believe on the springfield anyway ... the rear and front screws are different lengths.

doc1876
08-03-2014, 03:06 PM
what bigted said is gospel. You have to have something in a bind if it is the right spring, and the spring stops are in place to actuate it.

steamerjames
08-07-2014, 11:07 AM
Unless you have a double set trigger you will have a HEAVY trigger pull in a Sharps 1859 or side hammer. Its a flaw in the back action lock design where the mainspring is also the trigger spring. I only saw one rifle with a back action lock that had a good trigger pull and it was a Peabody, believe it or not. The worst I ever saw was a Werntl , had a 35 pound trigger pull, finally ground the spring back so it was 15 pounds or so. Sold it, I was tired of fighting trigger all day, took the fun out of shooting it.