PDA

View Full Version : What to buy in a used single stage press?

kenn
08-02-2014, 04:11 PM
I've got a very old lee turret that works great. I switching back and forth too much and growing tired of resetting every time. I'd like to find a single stage press to deprime, size casings, and size boolits. That way I can leave 3 9mm and 3 .45 in my turret adjusted and not mess with it...

What suggestions are there for an inexpensive used unit that would be south of $50?

bangerjim
08-02-2014, 04:18 PM
Buy a new Lee single stage standard press. I have 2 of them for all kinds of stuff. VERY inexpensive and all your dies fit.

Last one I bought was ~$26. And I can find them locally normally. Everybody seems to be flocking to multi stage high $$$$$$ presses. Go figure.

You can do EVERYTHING with a Lee single stage press! From beginner to expert, you cannot beat a single stage for quick & inexpensive loading.

bangerjim

Beagle333
08-02-2014, 04:18 PM
I use the Lee hand press for most of mine, but the Lee Challenger will easily handle any hard rifle jobs that I encounter. You should be able to find either one in your price range.

Reverend Recoil
08-02-2014, 04:32 PM
Look on Ebay for a cast iron Lyman Spartan C-press. They are some of the best presses for the money. They usually sell for less than $50 and use universal shell holders. The plastic spent primer trays can be hard to find.

44Vaquero
08-02-2014, 04:55 PM
Ok Kenn, I am missing something here? What Lee Turret does not have swappable turret heads? The original 3 hole turret can be swapped out for another pre-loaded 3hole as can the modern 4 hole turret! Nothing to reset, just buy extra turrets?

Mk42gunner
08-02-2014, 11:51 PM
Go to a gun show and find an old cast iron press, either O or C frame type. The only thing to look out for is to make sure the one you find takes the standard snap in shell holder.

I have both an RCBS Rockchucker and a Pacific Super C that I use.

Robert

08-03-2014, 12:31 AM
Cast iron RCBS JR 2 or JR 3.

bedbugbilly
08-03-2014, 08:05 AM
I picked up two RCBS Jr presses off of eBay pretty reasonable - a Jr 2 and a Jr3. The Jr3 has a larger diameter handle but the Jr2 is just as good. I use mine for the same purpose that you want one for. I de-prime with a Lee universal de-priming die, size on it with the Lee push through dies. I'm just starting to get ready to reload my first bottleneck rifle cartridges. I'll use it to reform 30-06 in to 8 X 57 and then use the Lee trimmer on that press as well.

I purchased two so I could take one to AZ and basically have the same setup there as I have in MI. I reload on a Lee 4 hole classic turret - use different turret plates to easily change from one caliber to another.

Id I ewmwmvwe xoeewxrly, I paid about $60 for each for the Jr2 and the Jr3. They date to the 1960s but are tough little presses that will never wear out in my lifetime. Check on eBay as you can pick up some good buys there if you are patient. Others would include Lyman, etc. Just make sure the rm accepts universal shell holders.

JASON4X4
08-03-2014, 08:40 AM
just keep looking I just received my new rock chucker from brownells.com for 120 shipped plus i sent in the rcbs coupon for 10 back. They don't have then on sale now but if you are not in a rush you can find great deals.

kenn
08-03-2014, 09:51 AM
I have the original spartan-t 6 hole and it is a tank. I like the challenger Beagle mentioned... I think I'll try one of those as I've found one on sale. Thanks for all the feedback. The single stage will only be used to deprime, size casing and size PC'd bullets in the lee push through dies. The expander, seating die, and Lee FCD are now set on the 6-turret for both 9 and 45 and I won't have to meddle with them at all. makes for very quick back and forth as all I have to do is change the powder charge on the powder measure.

Bayou52
08-03-2014, 01:02 PM
What I can say is that my 40 year old RCBS Rock Chucker press is as tight now as it was when Gerald Ford was POTUS. I'd be hard "pressed" to recommend anything else, in my experience, at least.

Bayou

GRUMPA
08-03-2014, 01:10 PM
I picked up two RCBS Jr presses off of eBay pretty reasonable - a Jr 2 and a Jr3. The Jr3 has a larger diameter handle but the Jr2 is just as good. I use mine for the same purpose that you want one for. I de-prime with a Lee universal de-priming die, size on it with the Lee push through dies. I'm just starting to get ready to reload my first bottleneck rifle cartridges. I'll use it to reform 30-06 in to 8 X 57 and then use the Lee trimmer on that press as well.

SLIGHT THREAD DRIFT:

When you get to that point remember the following.

Always use a gauge or the chamber to get the newly formed shoulder in the right place. Always start with clean pristine cases. When forming only put a good quality lube on the base of the case and never anywhere close to where the shoulder is going to be. After you get the first 1 done always after the "FIRST" size/forming lower the ram so the case is out of the die and rotate the case 90deg and do it again, never form in just 1 step, but 2 steps. And lube the inside of the neck.

seaboltm
08-03-2014, 01:47 PM
You may find a Lee Cast Classic for that price, used. I bought mine refurbished from Lee for $80. It is rated for 50 BMG loading.

44Vaquero
08-03-2014, 11:01 PM
Spartan is a Lyman not a Lee as stated on the OP's original post. You can still find turret heads for a Spartan on E-bay from time to time.

Safeshot
08-04-2014, 01:33 AM
You might consider a "Herters" press, or one of the lesser known brands such as Echo, Bair, Ruhr American, Savage, or a "Yard Sale" find. Look everywhere, they are some "out there". Look for a press that needs repair; such as missing a handle (easily fabricated) or one that is dirty and rusty (they usually "clean up" nicely). Just some suggestions.

WILCO
08-04-2014, 02:15 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004ZIO3SI/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

LUBEDUDE
08-04-2014, 11:10 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004ZIO3SI/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Friends don't EVER recommend Smart Loaders to Friends!

MostlyLeverGuns
08-04-2014, 11:58 AM
I use a Lee Classic Turret Press as my 'single stage' press. I set up a turret head with whatever dies I want to fool with. A universal decapper on one turret along with a Lee expander/flare die. I single-stage reload with it, only the complete die set is in a turret. No adjusting or restting any dies. Anything 7/8-14 goes into a turret head to minimize adjustment and constant threading/re-threading dies. The press you choose should have the 'new technology' of die holders that eliminate all the unpleasant screwing.

mdi
08-04-2014, 12:04 PM
From reading you original post, I'd say get some extra turrets. So what if you only use 3 (or even 2) of the stations? 12.85 seconds to swap out a loaded turret (they only go in one way, so sometimes ya gotta fiddle wit it). Dies are already adjusted.

I have turrets loaded with dies, a couple filled with Lee sizing dies, and one with a Ram Prime.

r1kk1
08-04-2014, 01:09 PM
I bought a new in the box Redding Ultramag for 100.00 off of Craigslist. There are deals out there on used equipment. Features depend on what you want. Any press that has a 1-¼"x12 thread will accept LNL bushings for easy die swaps if that's what you want. I have two presses out of four that handle the LNL bushings. It is not a big deal to screw dies in and out when you using a good lock look ring like Forster/Bonanza, Sinclair or Hornady's. Set it and forget it. This press I use for heavy case forming operations and the front of the frame makes a natural handle to hold on to. The Champion is the most ergonomic designed press I used but way out on your price range. It is a monster. The other one is a COAX where easy die swaps are a given popping them in and out. Again out of your price range but a nice feature for sure. If you prime on the press, quite a few presses allow for this. Another nice feature is great primer disposal. Something I really insist on in a single stage. All four of my single stages do this very well.

there are some great vintage presses of days gone by that have more metal in them than anything produced today it seems. Wonderful craftsmanship of a forgotten time. If you are patient you can snag one hopefully for around your price range. Patience and persistence pays off. I would look at various sales list.

i emailed Hornady to see if they will release a LNL turret. They replied their has been many requests for one. I hope they do. I like to be able to use anybodies lockrings. Then I may finally buy myself one.

take care

r1kk1

w0fms
08-04-2014, 02:39 PM
$30 new Lee hand press from Amazon is FANTASTIC for depriming.. (It's a permanent setup now.. ;) ) I think it would be nice for pistol as well.. I can't see myself FL sizing rifle on it tho...

r1kk1
08-04-2014, 03:02 PM
$30 new Lee hand press from Amazon is FANTASTIC for depriming.. (It's a permanent setup now.. ;) ) I think it would be nice for pistol as well.. I can't see myself FL sizing rifle on it tho...

I don't care for it in that job. It sounded like a deer rattler getting the primers out. It goes with me hunting or to the range. It handles rifle well. I do wildcat full length sizing on 444 and 45-70 brass, not case forming. I have the older pre breechlock version and with good lockrings, dies remain in their setting. "Knuckle Buster" will be with me for the rest of my time or it breaks.

take care

r1kk1

MT Chambers
08-04-2014, 03:16 PM
The 2 best presses out there, new or used, the Rockchucker or the Co-ax, will run more then $50 used.

seagiant
08-05-2014, 01:14 PM
Hi,
To many girls at the Dance!!!

WILCO
08-06-2014, 12:32 AM
Friends don't EVER recommend Smart Loaders to Friends!

Now you're just being silly!

Lead Fred
08-06-2014, 03:26 AM
Cast iron RCBS JR 2 or JR 3.

+1

I have three of these, they work great, and the newest on (JR3) was made in 1972.

gwpercle
08-06-2014, 01:36 PM
You can get a deal on a used press of E-bay. I got a Eagle Cobra cast aluminum for around $30.00, which included shipping . Become familiar with the names Eagle, Herter's, Bair or Bear, Pacific, C-H, Bonanza, and Texan. Little known but good tools. I was the only one to bid on the Eagle, the RCBS press were out the roof. Keep watching and bid only what you want to spend, they come up all the time. The Lee hand press is also good for what you want except it doesn't hold a lot of spent primers. I have bought two of them and use them often.
Gary

W.R.Buchanan
08-06-2014, 01:39 PM
I recommend something in a nice green color.

Randy

seagiant
08-07-2014, 04:19 PM
I recommend something in a nice green color.

Randy

Hi,
Right on! The big RCBS A2 has to be my favorite,although getting pricey now!

troyboy
08-07-2014, 05:25 PM
Lee classic cast leaves nothing to a Rock Chucker. The primer disposal is superior, the handle is ambidextrous and adjustable, more room between ram and die and costs less. It is a great deal and will last many lifetimes. I have bought and refurbished many presses just to use them so I could see for myself what worked and what worked better. While their is plenty of nalstaga concerning the old presses Lee's classic cast is in a league of its own both in price,quality and ergonomics. The CH Champanion may be superior but I have not used one yet. While the CC may end up north of 50$ new can be had 80$.

r1kk1
08-07-2014, 11:52 PM
Lee classic cast leaves nothing to a Rock Chucker. The primer disposal is superior, the handle is ambidextrous and adjustable, more room between ram and die and costs less. It is a great deal and will last many lifetimes. I have bought and refurbished many presses just to use them so I could see for myself what worked and what worked better. While their is plenty of nalstaga concerning the old presses Lee's classic cast is in a league of its own both in price,quality and ergonomics. The CH Champanion may be superior but I have not used one yet. While the CC may end up north of 50$ new can be had 80$.

The Rock Chucker is ambidextrous too. I agree it doesn't have great primer disposal. With that said, there is more than nostalgia with the old presses. Some of them are great works of art with fit and finish demonstrative of our craftsmen of days gone by. It was a time when they weren't afraid to use metal. Memories of the A series, Big Max, Super O, etc. leave a smile on my face when people here post pictures of them. I really like seagiant's picture of his Bair. Gorgeous press. I own a CH4D Champion press. Cast steel and solid ram measuring over 1-⅛" in diameter drilled through for primer disposal. Very ergonomic press. I hang on to the frame with one hand for tough forming operations. Weight is 30 lbs., another heavyweight I own is the Ultramag. Excellent primer disposal and huge window to handle whatever I throw at it. The third press I own is a COAX. Wonderful primer disposal but not very ergonomic. The last single stage I own is a Summit. It is becoming one of my favorite presses. Huge 2" ram and a wonderful feel when seating bullets. It also sports an arbor press bushing for my Wilson dies. All four presses are mounted to Pat Marlin's Rock Docks.

The largest single stage I have ever seen is the OWS Rock Crusher. Weight is 103lbs. Now CH4D sells what limited numbers they have left. I am left handed but like quite a few lefties, we learned to be ambidextrous more so than our right handed brothers.

Take care

r1kk1

seagiant
08-08-2014, 04:57 PM
Hi,
Well....I'd walk over 3 LEE CC presses to get to an RCBS A2 at a decent price! Does this mean that the LEE is no good? Far from it. I actually admire Richard Lee finally using real cast iron in a press!

It's just that the older presses have "soul" to me and as stated above have "Old World" craftsmanship when men took pride in what they made in this country!

troyboy
08-08-2014, 07:04 PM
Don't get me wrong I get it. For the amount of money the OP wants to spend my advice is sound.

canyon-ghost
08-08-2014, 07:21 PM
I going to load on a couple of RockChuckers, a Rockchucker 1 and a Rockchucker 4. That's what I'll do but, it's your money.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-09-2014, 07:51 AM
I owned one of the "old, American made" Rock Chuckers and used it for several years. When the Lee Classic Cast single stage came out, I bought one and put it beside the Rock Chucker for three months. That's all the time it took for the Lee to push the RCBS off of my reloading bench into the "for sale" pile. While all those nice, antique presses are interesting, they just don't offer the Lee's all around versatility. People who haven't used one of the Lee Classic Cast just don't know how good the thing really is. Possibly one of the best designed single stages out there.

troyboy is correct in everything he's saying. The Lee, even bought new, is a heckuva value. I would not sell mine and the ONLY other single stage I would consider to put beside it is a Coax and that's for seating bullets only.

Pablo 5959
08-09-2014, 10:25 PM
I saw this at a flee market and had to save it. Total 3.00.
http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u543/Pablo5959/image_zps56e80eb0.jpg (http://s1321.photobucket.com/user/Pablo5959/media/image_zps56e80eb0.jpg.html)
After a week soaking in diesel and electrocuting it over night.
She came back to life.
Works great for depriming and sizing.
http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u543/Pablo5959/image_zps6750c3b5.jpg (http://s1321.photobucket.com/user/Pablo5959/media/image_zps6750c3b5.jpg.html)

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-10-2014, 08:14 AM
Pablo,

Fantastic job restoring that old pacific.

GLL
08-10-2014, 09:25 PM
VERY nice save Pablo ! :)

I love old Pacific presses ! I am especially fond of the Pacific Dekux Pro and Bair Kodiak150 (which are identical) .

Jerry

Pablo 5959
08-10-2014, 10:24 PM
Thank you Dave and GGL, so kind.

OP in the attached link there are a couple single stage presses for sale.
GGL toward the end of this ad is a well kept Pacific with the instructions and box and .38 dies.
Every else, there is a Laymen 450 Lubsizer NIB w/.357. Die for 175. :bigsmyl2:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=966257
I was thinking about getting this my self but PC is good for my needs at this time.
Someone here should pick this up.

w0fms
08-13-2014, 04:22 PM
On the Lee hand press for depriming, I should say my other press is a RCBS Jr.. which has horrible depriming primer disposal on it, and that I actually read the comments about the Lee hand press before I used it for that purpose. I empty it out about every 25 primers (if you go much more then it does have issues including on the possibility of getting "stuck"), which some would probably find too often and annoying... if you do that it works pretty well... But I am a very low volume reloader compared to most of you here.

I am just happy that 1/3 of the old primers don't end up on the floor and/or jam up the ram like on the Jr...

I do find the breech lock system interesting because that pretty much fixes the problems with an aluminum press.. but still for a primary I'd prefer cast iron...