PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on new production Winchester 1886 and 1892

osteodoc08
08-02-2014, 03:54 PM
I have an opportunity to pick up a LNIB 1886 and 1892 rifles in 45-70 and 45 Colt, respectively. I was impressed with the overall packages, for and finish, wood to metal fit and function. Rudimentary rear buck horn sights, not so much.

What are my rear sighting options aftermarket wise and what is the overall consensus of these guns?

Tatume
08-02-2014, 04:19 PM
Hi Doc,

The crescent butt plate and extremely short length of pull (13-1/4") on M1886 rifles has kept me away. I would love to own one, but would have to hire a custom stock maker to saw off the rear of the stock and fit an extension with a shotgun-type butt. That's a bit rich for my blood.

Take care, Tom

Tatume
08-02-2014, 04:20 PM
XS Sights makes a very nice sight set for the M1886.

runfiverun
08-02-2014, 05:08 PM
springfield.
can make you a very nice wrap around leather pad that takes a ton of bite out of the crescent plate.
I put one on my model 92 in 44 mag that sees mostly heavy hunting loads.
I need to get about 15 more made up.

osteodoc08
08-02-2014, 05:52 PM
I've got an original 1886 that was completely refurbished by my father in the early 80's including being lined. It's in showroom shape with custom wood and the whole 9 yards.

Before re his passing he aquired 3 Browning 1886s. One rifle and 2 saddle rings. The rifle was sent to turnbull for CCH and has a flip front sight and a ladder flippable rear. Custom wood. That's goes to my brother. One of the saddle rings each. Mine already has custom wood on it. It was
finished and shipped the week after he died. He never saw it in person.

i have 4 kids with another on the way. I want to leave them all an 1886 that's been customized to continue the family tradition. I'd like to get them and work on them one at a time as money allows. Id prefer it to say Winchester, although nothing wrong with the Brownings. Matter of fact the Miroku Brownings are more faithful sans tang safety and rebounding hammers instead of the Winchester Miroku made 1886's. But it's "not a Winchester". The 92 would be for me and be for fun to accompany my 1894 CB in 45 colt.

Tatume
08-02-2014, 07:25 PM
I've got an original 1886 that was completely refurbished by my father in the early 80's including being lined. It's in showroom shape with custom wood and the whole 9 yards.

Do you know the origin of the "whole nine yards" expression. It's an interesting story.

Take care, Tom

crash87
08-02-2014, 07:56 PM
I really hated to do this, but my apologies to osteodoc08, for deviating from his post.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_whole_nine_yards

osteodoc08
08-02-2014, 07:57 PM
9 yards of fabric holding together a run of cartridges used in our fighter/bomber planes back in the day?

osteodoc08
08-02-2014, 08:00 PM
I really hated to do this, but my apologies to osteodoc08, for deviating from his post.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_whole_nine_yards

I see I was completely wrong. What was the colloquialism pertaining to the length of fabric that held together the cartridges in the early years?

crash, that's what makes this board different and I love it. Learn something new every day. No apologies needed.

pietro
08-02-2014, 09:49 PM
I have an opportunity to pick up a LNIB 1886 and 1892 rifles in 45-70 and 45 Colt, respectively.

What are my rear sighting options aftermarket wise and what is the overall consensus of these guns ?

The rifles made by Miroku usually exhibit superior fit/finish/workmanship.

The only fault I've found with some of their M1886 & M1892 rifles with the rebounding hammer design (they have the same design) is that a particular specimen might exhibit "iffy" ignition - easily cured by slightly shortening the lower leg of the MS strut.

They will accept the same sights, respectively, as gennie Winchester M1886 & M1892 rifles - except that the Miroku may need to have the receiver D/T'd for whatever sight, and will need a much taller front sight blade to achieve zero.

pworley1
08-02-2014, 10:57 PM
I have a Miroku 1892 in 44 40 and a Winchester 1892 made in 1895 in 38 40. Both are great rifles and fun to shoot, but the original Winchester is by far the better rifle in my view.

Tatume
08-03-2014, 07:20 AM
There's a lot of stories about "the whole nine yards," but the one I like pertains to the linked ammo feeding the six 50 caliber Browning machine guns in the P51 Mustang. Each gun was loaded with nine feet of linked ammo, making nine yards of ammo per wing. When the crew chief saluted the pilot prior to departure on a mission, he would sometimes say "Give them the whole nine yards."

doc1876
08-03-2014, 09:20 AM
might we, on this sight, suggest "lock, stock and barrel"? "The whole Shootin Match", or the "Whole shebang"?

I have a Crescent on my Sharps, and I really like it. I guess it is in how they put the shoulder back on after it was taken off. (true story)

osteodoc08
08-03-2014, 10:49 AM
There's a lot of stories about "the whole nine yards," but the one I like pertains to the linked ammo feeding the six 50 caliber Browning machine guns in the P51 Mustang. Each gun was loaded with nine feet of linked ammo, making nine yards of ammo per wing. When the crew chief saluted the pilot prior to departure on a mission, he would sometimes say "Give them the whole nine yards."
That's the story I remember.

NSB
08-03-2014, 11:10 AM
I didn't see where the OP stated he had a crescent butt plate? I have a Miroku/Winchester 1886 that I bought new and it had a shotgun style metal butt plate. I simply took off the metal butt plate and had a rubber recoil pad put on the gun. Fit and finish is outstanding on the Miroku guns. I had no problem with the rebounding hammer but opted to have Turnbull remove it and replace it with the half notch hammer and remove the safety and fill in the hole. While they were at it I had it Case Colored. The sighting options are quite a few. You can put a tang sight on it, a receiver sight, barrel ladder sight, and Turnbull even makes a very low profile receiver mount you can put a Burris FastFire3 reflex red dot on if you have "old eyes". All Miroku rifles have virtually no throat in them as per the original specs on the gun. I also had Turnbull lengthen the throat while they had it apart. The gun will shoot an honest to God five shot group off bags at 114 measured yards into an average of one and three quarter inch. Sometimes better, sometimes just a tad worse. I couldn't be happier with the gun.

Tatume
08-03-2014, 12:30 PM
I didn't see where the OP stated he had a crescent butt plate?

Some do, some don't. Current production guns do.

I also had Turnbull lengthen the throat while they had it apart.

This is something I'd like to do with my CPA 44-1/2. I just don't know who to turn to for the job.

Take care, Tom

osteodoc08
08-03-2014, 01:03 PM
Yes, crescent butt on both.

Ragnarok
08-03-2014, 01:18 PM
I examined some Winchester M1886 short rifles at the gunstores...and looked at my pal's Browning 1886 rifle and SRC carbine. Did some internetz research on the deal too.

For what I could walk into a store and buy a new Winchester...I could also buy a really nice Browning 1886 src carbine with box online.

I went with a Browning 1886 carbine(although I'm no huge fan of a saddle-ring). I'm very pleased with the 1990's Browning product so far.