PDA

View Full Version : 336A at LGS

rockrat
08-02-2014, 11:50 AM
As said, LGS has a 336A up for sale. Its in 30-30. Blueing is excellent, but I also think it has been reblued. 8 digit s/n (82xxxx)located behind trigger on lower tang. Forearm is gorgeous in its figure and checkering is good. One of the fat forearms. Buttstock looks like its been replaced, because it nowhere matches the forearm and looks like one of the stained birch stocks.

Don't really need a 30-30, but have thought about finding one and having JES do a rebore.

What is the thing worth? I don't think anywhere near what they are asking, but maybe closer to $350 or a bit less.

What do you think?

RickinTN
08-02-2014, 01:12 PM
Marlin actually produced two different models with the "A" designation, though not at the same time. One, the original, had a 24" barrel with half magazine, and walnut stocks. The production of this model began in 1948 with the 336 itself. The "Other 336A" was later production with 20" barrel, full magazine, and birch stocks. The difference in value of the two can vary considerably. A clue that the rifle is a 24" barreled 336A is the serial number and it's location, but it should have a letter in front of it. If it does, and you can furnish it, I can tell you the year of manufacture. Original rifles in good condition will bring pretty good money, but if the stock has been replaced and it is a re-blue it will be quite a bit less.
Rick

rockrat
08-02-2014, 01:59 PM
The fat forearm makes me think of a late 50's gun. D&T'd, not a "waffle top" although he had one of those too. 24" bbl. half mag.

RickinTN
08-02-2014, 02:26 PM
The D and T gun which is not a waffle top and 24" barrel is later than mid-50's and is probably micro-groove. The waffle top rifle with 24" barrel is somewhere between '48 and '55 if I remember correctly, and should be ballard rifled. I prefer the ballard rifling given a choice as I've been able to get accuracy easier with them. Is the waffle top rifle original? stock, etc? The first letter of the serial number will tell the year.
Rick