I eat more venson than beef
But the roasts normaly are dry unless you do a little work on them

My cure
I have friends coming over for dinner Saturday

I took a 10-11 lb roast and let it almost thaw out in the frig
Using a long sharp knife
I cut round and round , around the roast all the way to the bone
So I ended up with a long 3/4" thick slice of meat

Then I dry & cool smoked for 2 hours ( not realy needed but I like the taste )
I then took 1 lb of bacon ends & pieces and ran it through the meat grinder ( fine)
But a food processor will work
I added 2 cloves of fine minced garlic and 1 large onion minced fine to the bacon

Mix the bacon , a spice blend for a roast , garlic and onion well and spread on all of the top of the venison
You can also add finely sliced peppers , I like hot peppers but I don't know if everyone likes them so I didn't add them

Now roll the roast back up
I then add sliced bacon to the top and 2 sides ( hold it with tooth picks )
I then wrap it with buchers string to hold it togeather . then pull the tooth picks

I cook these roasts 18 - 20 min a lb at 325 degrees , a little longer if you like a more well done roast
With potatos , onions , carrots and what ever other vegi's are in the garden
I add at least 1 quart of stock to the pot , I start with at least 1/2" of stock covering the bottom of the dish
Before I add the roast and vegie's
Tent the roast with foil after 1 hour ( just the roast ) and take off 10 min before you plan on taking the roast out of the oven
Let it set for 10 min before slicing

OR Skip the garlic
But add sliced swiss cheese ( keep the cheese at least 1/2" from the edges )

The bacon add flavor and the needed fat to make it taste better

2 helpings are the normal thing to expect :-P

John

MaryB
08-02-2014, 01:18 AM
Similar to a braciole roast... sounds tasty! Would work well with one of the leaner beef roasts too.

CopperniX
08-02-2014, 01:26 AM
Great another recipe I will have to try out. I have been using the drier venison for burrito filler after shredding it and it doesn't turn out too bad but will have to use your recipe and see what I can come up with.

MaryB
08-02-2014, 11:11 PM
Really lean venison makes good stir fry. Thin slice, quick sear in the wok of the drained marinated meat, put it back in the bowl with the marinade, stir fry the veg you are using(broccoli and onion are one of my favorites) until crisp tender, add back the meat and marinade and bring to a simmer and simmer for a couple minutes. Serve with rice or chowmein noodles.

CopperniX
08-03-2014, 12:17 AM
Really lean venison makes good stir fry. Thin slice, quick sear in the wok of the drained marinated meat, put it back in the bowl with the marinade, stir fry the veg you are using(broccoli and onion are one of my favorites) until crisp tender, add back the meat and marinade and bring to a simmer and simmer for a couple minutes. Serve with rice or chowmein noodles.

First off THANKS now I have to add this to the rotation and see how it turns out. Also just noticed your in the same area as me haha.

MaryB
08-03-2014, 01:36 AM
Stir fry is one of my I don't fee like cooking what is fast meals. Marinate the meat while you prep the veg, screaming hot wok(a must have) and supper in 15 minutes. Do this a lot with chicken breast.

MT Gianni
08-03-2014, 09:14 AM
Stir fry is one of my I don't fee like cooking what is fast meals. Marinate the meat while you prep the veg, screaming hot wok(a must have) and supper in 15 minutes. Do this a lot with chicken breast.
We do the with the veggies on the side and add spice and peppers for fajitas.