PDA

View Full Version : need a little loading info please

lx2008
08-01-2014, 08:52 PM
hi guys, been loading cast for good while now. years ago i started loading .38 sp w/ a hornady 148gr hbwc, then i bought a couple of of really fine 1911`s and pretty much left the 38 alone. now i want to get back into the 38sp. so i just bought some cast 148gr dewc`s. now i need a little load data to go along with it. most of my up to date manuals don`t cover it. my lyman 49th only has 150gr linotype. been on a couple of sites like loaddata.com & handloads.com for help but i wanted some of you guys to chime in on your favorites for it. some of the sites say to crimp on the last groove, some say flush.

i understand 3.5 of bullseye or 3.1 of w231 is good but those same sites don`t give an overall length or if they crimped or not. if you can give me some help or have a couple of good links to the type of data i`m looking for ( o.a.l. is a must)
i would really appreciate it!

i`m shooting a model 66-2 w/ 2.5 in bbl.

Kraschenbirn
08-01-2014, 09:39 PM
For as long as I can remember, I've shot the 148 gr DEWC for conventional bullseye, PPC, and as a plinker/practice load for the wife's old Colt Diamondback. My 'standard' loads are either 3.2 gr. Bullseye or 3.5 gr 700X with Federal SP primers (both shoot to the same POI) with the boolit seated with the wadcutter shoulder just above (.030"?) the case mouth and (lightly) taper-crimped. Alloy is 1 part COWWs and 2 parts range scrap, water-dropped, and lubed with Lars' 50/50.

Off sandbags, either load will shoot ragged 1-hole groups at 25 yds from my 6" S&W 586 and, shot off-hand from my 3" SP101, will stay inside the 10-ring of the B-27 (PPC) target at 15 yards.

I don't have a copy of the 'Lyman 49th' but I doubt yours lists a load for a 'linotype' DEWC...every Lyman manual I DO have gives data for only Lyman #2 Alloy (90/5/5) or pure lead (for BP)...lino is a completely different animal and absolutely unnecessary (in its pure form) for anything I've ever loaded.

Bill

williamwaco
08-01-2014, 09:49 PM
lx2008

You are seriously over thinking this "problem".

At the pressures you are talking about there is no difference between any 148 to 150 grain bullet.

If your bullet has a crimp groove, use it. If not, seat it either flush or slightly extended according to your preference.

This is a complete non issue.

You must crimp them at lease enough to remove the flare.

See this page for more information on crimping revolver bullets.

http://reloadingtips.com/how_to/crimping_revolvers.htm

rintinglen
08-01-2014, 11:55 PM
Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook 3rd edition lists numerous 38 loads for the 358-063, their 148 grain DEWC. They recommend loading to an OAL of 1.152 inches.
Loads that I personally recommend and have used include 2.7-3.0 grains of Bullseye or Red Dot, 3.0-3.3 grains of WW-231 (my favorite is 3.3 grains) and 4.0 grains of Unique. A load I developed recently in this powder shortage is 2.4 grains of TITEWAD. Crimp heavily for best results, but if that is all you can find, it will work quite well.

lx2008
08-02-2014, 12:11 PM
thanks for the info guys!