PDA

View Full Version : Lee Load Master 45 Auto Rim shell plate #13L advice needed

Beesdad
08-01-2014, 07:44 PM
Here's my problem... I have a large volume of 45 Auto Rim brass to reload. I have dedicated all of my high volume reloading to the Lee Load Master press and currently operate 5 LLM's... But I can not located the proper shell plate for the LM.

In the past Lee offered a shell plate to accommodate 45AR but it has been discontinued. Lee's old designation for this shell plate was # 13L ..

Lee's custom shop will not fabricate this plate as a custom order and I have not been able to locate one on the secondary market ( new or used ).

I am looking for recommendations on how to resolve this problem. Is it possible to modify an existing shell plate? And if so, who would you recommend to perform this modification.... Or does anyone have a
# 13 L shell plate they would be willing to sell. Thanks in advance for you advice.

zomby woof
08-01-2014, 08:49 PM
Hey look what I've got, never used. Very rare. PM me.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/101_8859.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/101_8860.JPG

Beesdad
08-01-2014, 09:32 PM
Zomby Woof,

that's it.. PM sent... Thanks

44Vaquero
08-01-2014, 09:46 PM
See that's why I love Castboolits! Ask and you shall receive.

Beesdad
08-01-2014, 10:18 PM
See that's why I love Castboolits! Ask and you shall receive.

Yes its a great place to hang out...

GLL
08-03-2014, 10:59 AM
If I were you I would also buy a Lotto ticket today ! ;) ;)

Jerry

r1kk1
08-03-2014, 12:33 PM
I don't understand two things. Why Lee would d/c shellplate(s) and why custom services don't do them anymore. Sad. They treat the LM like a stepchild. I wonder if Mikes reloading bench may offer shellplates in the future? Don't mind me but it just makes me grumpy when a company puts limits on a press that is capable of doing more.

i love that cartridge. I have shot some great groups with it. Rapine when they were in business, offered a mould for heeled bullets.

Beesdad are you shooting that in a S&W revolver?

Take care

r1kk1

Beesdad
08-03-2014, 10:38 PM
I don't understand two things. Why Lee would d/c shellplate(s) and why custom services don't do them anymore. Sad. They treat the LM like a stepchild. I wonder if Mikes reloading bench may offer shellplates in the future? Don't mind me but it just makes me grumpy when a company puts limits on a press that is capable of doing more.

i love that cartridge. I have shot some great groups with it. Rapine when they were in business, offered a mould for heeled bullets.

Beesdad are you shooting that in a S&W revolver?

Take care

r1kk1
Thanks for the help... I did check with Mike first to see if he could modify an existing plate.. He was not able to do so. Just as a side note .... the Lee tech. service representative could not determine that they had mfg. that shell plate in the past even when I gave him the designation #.

Yes I am fortunate to have a S&W 1917 and Colt 1917.. And I was having problems with the full moon clips performing properly, but I never had any problems with the original 1/2 moon clips. They have become my favorite steel plate revolvers..

Beesdad
08-03-2014, 10:47 PM
r1kk1, What press are you using to produce your 45 AR's?

r1kk1
08-04-2014, 10:20 AM
Beesdad,

550 uses shellplate, locator buttons and powder funnel, and powder funnel die if using a Dillon measure.

550 using shellplate H which really doesn't fit anything else but the AR.
i use the locator buttons from my 44 mag set
toolhead has the powder funnel and dies already from ACP set

shellplate was around 30 bucks a few years back. I try not to duplicate funnels or buttons.

Sounds like you got a bad tech at Lee. They did do a run for a 500 S&W or at least someone did. It is one of the threads on this forum.

FWIW,

I use four different Dillon measures - one xsmall bar, another with small charge bar, large bar and finally an xlarge bar. Hornady and RCBS progressives use one measure with change outs that are cheaper than my current setup. Sure I could have used one measure and changing charge bars are easy enough but I went with what I had. When I bought my press it predated the LNL, 2000s and LMs presses. What I'm saying is it appears they have made some improvements to one aspect of a progressive press or another over the years. I use knobs that Alvarez Kelly sold me so I can dial any of the four measures I use. I use a JDS Quick Measure for my rifle stuff and pistol stuff if I use an M-die (if needed) and can use any station for the measure minus the priming station of course. Expensive yes but I've had great results with any powder I tried and I load subcalibers up to .50 cal stuff.

Back to the AR. I have a Contender barrel from the custom shop, that I found in a pawn shop. I love that barrel and cartridge. Not a j bullet shot through it from me! One of the moulds I truly like for this application is the Lee copy of the H&G #68 if I remember right, in six cavity. Works very well in my 1911 bullseye pistol as well.

Beesdad, I wonder if the S&W 625 will shoot this cartridge? I will investigate that. If it does I may have to get one!

take care

r1kk1

W.R.Buchanan
08-06-2014, 01:35 PM
Another problem solved at Castboolits.com. :mrgreen:

Randy

covert
08-08-2014, 09:51 PM
love this site