PDA

View Full Version : Is there a glut of used 22 rifles in the gun shops?

rollmyown
07-31-2014, 11:16 PM
I guess I could have asked the question in one of the very many .22 ammo threads, but not wanting to hijack another thread I thought I'd ask here.
Are there lots of cheap 22 rifles up for sale or are people holding out for better availability and pricing?
Just curious.

bubba.50
07-31-2014, 11:35 PM
not that I've noticed around here. pretty much anything gun-related still has gouger prices on it. with the exception of some types of muzzleloaders that is.

Outpost75
08-01-2014, 07:20 PM
LGS has plenty on the used rack. I have a couple extra .22s I might sell or trade, if the right temptation came around.

DeanWinchester
08-02-2014, 11:54 AM
If a man wants a nice .22 he can get a deal nowadays if he looks even a little bit.

1johnlb
08-02-2014, 12:12 PM
I posted 2 of 3 of my rimfires on armslist, a buckmark and savage 17hmr and both were sold in less than 24 hrs. I didn't think they would sell fast at the time because of the ammo shortage and I priced them at what I payed new. It was like a feeding frenzy with the 17hmr. I had about 3 people coming at once for the 17, they were all told first come first served. They were emailing me for about a week, even after I deactivated the post. My son took dibs on the third one, marlin. I still have a 333 winchester box in the safe with no 22.

runfiverun
08-02-2014, 01:29 PM
I'm not seeing one.

in fact I still pick up enough 22 brass at the range to keep me in 223 bullets [and I only take what's on the bench tops]
they still hold some type of 22 shoot at the range every week, and the pistol range is littered with it.
I wonder where they are getting it all from.

dragon813gt
08-02-2014, 02:00 PM
Not around here. I wish they were cheap because I would be buying them by the crate. I have more 22s then any other caliber by a large margin. I'm always looking to add my collection if the price is right.

wrench man
08-03-2014, 01:54 PM
Not in these parts?, new rimfires out number the used 8-10:1?

Tackleberry41
08-04-2014, 05:19 PM
The LGS near me has a rack full of new ones, dont seem to be going anywhere. For a while they had a hard time getting any, now they have more than they know what to do with. Hard to sell a rifle if theres no ammo on the shelf to feed it. Not sure about used ones, I doubt right now most dealers will take them on trade with the market the way it is.

cwheel
08-04-2014, 07:12 PM
I think there is a limited stash of 22's being held in reserve to promote sales of firearms by some dealers. I bought a 22 from Sportsman's Warehouse and was offered a couple of bricks at the normal price to go with the rifle to promote the sale, don't think they are the only ones doing this. No 22's for sale except if you bought a firearm. When they can't do this anymore and folks don't have ammo available and have shot up reserves, scalpers have run out of stock, think you might expect to see some bargain prices on 22 firearms start popping up. Don't expect that to happen at least yet, still some ammo to support firearm sales.
Chris

fatelk
08-04-2014, 09:28 PM
A friend's son told me a few months ago that he was selling all his .22 rifles, asked if I wanted to buy any (I didn't). He said it was because he can't find ammo. Pretty short-sighted if you ask me.

Maybe I should have gotten rid of all my reloading gear a while back, during the great primer drought. :)

rking22
08-04-2014, 09:38 PM
A friend who owns a gun shop old me the distributors were offering deals but I don't see it at retail level. Was able to pick up a nice M18 for reasonable and see some nice rifles but they are from an estate. Agree with the shortsighted comment, like selling your car cause you ran it out of gas. Plan ahead folks. I am watching to see if people start to "dump" some good 22s. I'm always looking for a nice 22 for a nice price.

izzyjoe
08-04-2014, 09:49 PM
A fellow I work with went to Walmart and was looking at a Henry lever 22, he told the clerk I'll take it if you have ammo for it, he stood there looking dazed and said there is none, then he said well how do you sell a rifle with no ammo to shoot it, still dazed he just stood there speechless! I've found a few bargains on 22 rifles from individuals not shops! Most folks are hanging on to what they have, cause they know this will blow over eventually. I'm starting to see ammo available at some stores, but not at normal prices. I've got enough to last me, so I could care less!

Sagebrush7
08-09-2014, 12:48 PM
My Wally World had a 22 Remington for $615.00 Wow! that will set for a while I said to myself. Next time I was in 3 days it was gone! Hope he had some 22lr's to shoot.

wrench man
08-10-2014, 11:06 PM
Since I posted the other day the LGS has put all NEW and USED (Excludes consignments) Rimfire's $50 off!, they can't move them!??