PDA

View Full Version : Stories on smoothbore pistols

3leggedturtle
07-31-2014, 02:40 PM
Those of you that have them. Would like to hear about your experiences with loads, shot size, patterns and general use of them. Thanks Todd/3leg

waksupi
07-31-2014, 04:21 PM
I've got one I put together last year, but haven't had time to do much load development. I think I'm using around 35 gr. 3F behind the round ball. I would try the same powder charge, and about 45 gr. equivalent measure of shot. Thanks for the reminder, grouse season is just around the corner!

Nobade
07-31-2014, 08:17 PM
I have a TC Patriot that had a rusted out bore. I opened it up to .513" and honed it the best I could with what I have available. First outing it leaded something terrible, so I honed on it more. Next time it did a lot better, but I think I'll just make a new barrel for it eventually. At any rate, 40gr. of homemade powder and an equal amount of shot and cardboard wads made very useful patterns out to about 15 yards. A bird or rabbit couldn't get through the pattern at that range. At 25 yards there were big holes in the pattern, and I wouldn't try shooting at something that far away. With patched .490" balls it will hold about 2 inches at 25 yards, using 55gr. of the same powder. I like the idea of a smoothbore pistol, not quite as accurate as a rifled one but you have the option of shooting shot, so for playing around or hunting small game I think it's a pretty neat way to go.

Thanks for posting this - it reminds me to start looking out for a chunk of barrel to fit to that Patriot!

-Nobade

dondiego
08-01-2014, 09:21 AM
Sarco has 26 inch, .45 cal., octagon barrel blanks for $75 right now.

Coffeecup
08-01-2014, 10:14 PM
The last smoothbore pistol I recall shooting much was an original, about .65 cal (carbine bore, for the Brits among us). As with all the other smoothbore pistols I've owned, I found that within reason, group size at 25 yards decreased as the charge increased. Best load for me in that pistol was 65 gr. FFg, with a patched ball that measured about .007" under bore diameter. On a good day, it went bout 60% for pop cans at 50 yards.

fouronesix
08-02-2014, 05:35 PM
At least 20 years ago I picked up a Johnson M1842 54 cal smooth bore pistol. Never thought about shooting it until 4-5 years ago. With some difficulty, I replaced the nipple (probably the original) and checked barrel and lock function. I cleaned and lightly lapped the bore.

With a ticking patched .520 RB and 25 gr of FF black, I shot it at 15 yards. Big surprise was how good the group was and how close it was to POA- more like point of "point" with no rear sight. Nice cluster group of about 3 inches.

Outpost75
08-02-2014, 06:56 PM
When I was a kid I used to shoot an 1842 U.S. Ames .54 boxlock pistol. I did not have the proper round ball mold, so shot it with 30 grs. of 3Fg, a 28-ga. wad and 1/2 oz. of 7-1/2 shot. Effective on small game to 25 feet or so. A buch of bunnies fell to that gun, which I still have,
but don't shot anymore.

Rio Grande
08-02-2014, 07:37 PM
Interesting topic. As I just looked a a "12 m/m" smoothbore percussion at a pawn shop today.
It was a Spanish 'Mendi'. A smallish handgun with a round barrel. Obviously made inexpensively, but it did look better than most Jukars I've seen. They were asking $80, probably take $60.

Rio Grande
08-02-2014, 07:42 PM
Those old timers knew what worked.
A shame there are so many heavy, awkward rifled octagon barreled repro pistols, and few like the Johnson pictured,, even though big caliber roundbarrel smoothbores were much more common, and far more practfical.
I've handled an original .60 Irish made smoothbore "pocket gun" and believe me, it was the very soul of practicality in an 18th century uncertain world.

doc1876
08-03-2014, 12:44 PM
there is a couple of face book sites dedicated to "bucket Pistols"

3rd Light Dragoons (reenacted) Revolutionary War

Pommel Pistols/Saddle Holsters-buckets/Dragoon Helmets