PDA

View Full Version : For all You Cannon guys

twotrees
01-24-2008, 09:48 PM
Wife (RedFoxy) edited some vidio of a cannon shoot we go to in Mississippi, every spring. Well, not all cannons we also shoot BPCR and cap and ball pistols. All informal, and guys are all from another forum We belong to. Folks from Texas, Ohio, Ga, Mississippi and Canada come for this weekend of Holy Black shootin.

Ammo was an undrilled 16 pound bowling ball. Vidio runs 27 seconds long, turn up the sound, and please excuse Joe for his "Rebel pronouncment" but listen to the end for the thump. Impact was 250 yards down range, and you could feel it hit the ground through your feet.

This shot was 2 Tablespoons of Black Powder. The Mortar is made from an Oxygen tank and sits on a hand made red oak carrage. The 2 brass cannons were turned from bar stock. The one to the left of those was one of the cast/steel tube lined type. The one on the right was built by the same guy that owns the Bowling Ball Mortar "Buff".

The cannon shoot was won by the brass barreled gun on the right with a shot 4 inches off dead center on an 8"X11" piece of typing paper at 100 yards.

All saftey rules are upheld at these shoots.

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=142r2tg&s=3

TwoTrees and RedFoxy

Nueces
01-24-2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks, twotrees. Good ol' American fun

Buckshot
01-25-2008, 03:49 AM
...............That was great! Oddly enough, I could do that all day long and not get tired of it. Well, so long as I had someone to go fetch the bowling balls back :-)

...............Buckshot

Wicky
01-25-2008, 05:02 AM
Now thats what I call a good day out. As for retrieving the balls, that's why you take the kids!:-D

mazo kid
01-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Back in the '70s, a friend of mine (a machine shop instructor) made a bowling ball mortar. He epoxied an eye bolt into one of the finger holes, and tied a brightly colored length of ribbon to it. When asked if that was so it was easier to follow in flight, he replied "no, it's so we can find the ball after impact in the ground!". Powder measure was an empty 12 ga. shotgun shell. Emery

Old Ironsights
01-25-2008, 06:10 PM
Cannon balls? Naaah. Too tame. I think Anvils are more interesting.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2-kWyJx8kTs
http://youtube.com/watch?v=bVpAhw5RgsM

:D

JSnover
01-25-2008, 06:44 PM
As much as I'd love to make a cannon that big, I'll stick with my golf ball coehorn. The projectiles are a lot easier to haul back ond forth.
Heckuva nice job, though!
:drinks:

twotrees
01-25-2008, 10:34 PM
Take a spade !!!! They have a tendency to go in a mite deep !!!

The shot with 4 Tablespoons of powder sent the ball so high it was hard to see. It imbeded it's self in that hard Mississippi dirt about 3 ft deep. Several were lost in the woods after that Hard Red Oak Carrage split.

Reminder Don't sub 4F for 2F Black powder in Bowling ball mortar.

Sure was fun though.

Red has a 1 and a bit min Video of the cannon shoot If Y'all want to see that??

TwoTrees and RedFoxy