PDA

View Full Version : PCing "J" Word Bullets

KennethF
07-31-2014, 11:47 AM
I don't know if there are other shooters here that, like me, believe in and practice the barrel break-in of a new or older rifle by shooting jacketed bullets through their gun barrel and cleaning the resulting copper fowling from the bore after each shot for 10 shots, and then after each string of shots there after until the bore has become smoother from the firing and cleaning process?
I have never been able to spend enough time at the shooting range, to complete this procedure, in a single day. Shooting 70 shots and doing the cleaning necessary to remove the copper fowling to prevent copper build up until the bore is smoother, or the 70 shots have been fired and the necessary cleaning completed. This smoothing of the bore results in less copper fowling during firing of copper clad bullets in future shooting, and is also good for our cast boolit shooting. Any way my point is it takes many hour of bore cleaning to remove copper using this method of barrel break-in.
I am thinking that the next time I smooth a barrel bore in this way, I will PC the jacketed bullets that I will use for the break-in shooting and there will be no copper fowling, which takes too much time and effort to remove.
I have PC .22 jacketed bullets and then sized them back to .224" very easily with my Lyman 450 lube sizer. This coating could also be applied to jacketed bullets shot for any reason, to simplify cleaning after shooting.
What do you thing?

Kenneth

smokesahoy
07-31-2014, 11:54 AM
I think its a waste of time, but if it works for you have fun. just remember to size correctly I guess.

RED333
07-31-2014, 12:03 PM
I have tried to coat brass cases, did not go well.(just wanted to try)
Powder did not stick, sand blasted a few, after 3 coats it worked.
You might have a hard time with it.

bangerjim
07-31-2014, 01:05 PM
Barrel break-in................? It gets broke in as I shoot my normal stuff. No "magic socks" waved over a new one. Just load it and shoot it!

I just shot over 350 rounds of PC'd cast boolits thru 2 NEW out of the box guns with no fouling, no smoke, hardly ANY cleaning, and NO LEADING.

WHAT BREAK-IN?????????????????????????????

Since I quit using FMJ & greasy boolits, I do not have anything to mine out of my barrels! Just a tiny bit of powder black when I shoot lite loads.

PC'ing FMJ's is a waste of time and energy in my book. But do what you have time and interest to do.

banger

DeanWinchester
07-31-2014, 01:07 PM
Barrel break in is snake oil and hokum.

KennethF
07-31-2014, 01:25 PM
I have fun shooting, casting, powder coating, I do not have much fun cleaning stubborn fowling from rifle bores though. Maybe you don't mind wasting your time doing so, even if cleaning could be made easer. Since I enjoy these past times, but dislike spending a lot of time removing copper fowling, I will try PC J bullets and see how it works. If you don't want to, don't, makes no difference to me. If PC could prevent cooper fowling the way it does lead fowling, some others who are more willing to accept new ideas might not think it is a waste of time. I am sure when powder coating boolits was first tried, you were one of the skeptics, with no vision, and no imagination, telling those experimenters trying PC they were wasting their time, that we had boolit lubes for that purpose. Have a wonderful day smokesahoy, and don't be so negative all the time.

Kenneth

Kenneth

KennethF
07-31-2014, 01:38 PM
Banger, I have noticed as I read on this site that it must be your job to criticize most of what other posters opinions or thoughts may be, and you do a great job of it to. Did you ever stop to think that you are not the authority on every subject that you think you are? Hate to burst your bubble.

Kenneth

DeanWinchester
07-31-2014, 01:42 PM
Banger, I have noticed as I read on this site that it must be your job to criticize most of what other posters opinions or thoughts may be, and you do a great job of it to. Did you ever stop to think that you are not the authority on every subject that you think you are? Hate to burst your bubble.

Kenneth

Me and Ole Jim have disagreed more than once. Probably will again.
....but not one word in his post was critical. He said "I" an awful lot. I didn't read anything accusatory.

KennethF
07-31-2014, 02:45 PM
He said "I" exactly twice. You or Ole Jim and many others may not see things exactly as I do or even see the benefit of many other technical, and time consuming processes in reloading or target shooting, or barrel break-in. The concept of barrel break-in is not an idea that I am the first to express the benefits of, but many well informed competition target shooters and novices like myself and even some custom barrel builders believe in and even waste their time to do. I respect the opinions of those that have advocated the use of these barrel break-in procedures more than I do some who believe that their own opinion is the only one that matters and the only correct one. Many times if I read opinions on here that I do not agree with, I will just ignore it rather that get on here to say that the idea or opinion, or method, or task or what ever is completely wrong or of no value at all and a waste of time. Are we on this site expected to believe that one mans opinion is the only correct one and that's the way it is?

Kenneth

bangerjim
07-31-2014, 03:54 PM

Kenneth

Ohhhhhhhhhh.......I'm really scared! Who assigned you to be the "determiator" of what is negative?

All criticism I may offer is "CONSTRUCTIVE" not destructive, as your's is. You DO know the difference, right?

Everything I post, as with most people on here, is NOT claimed to be gospel and should be taken as my personal opinion and used as such, even though most of my ideas and comments are backed up with extensive scientific knowledge, field research, and trial and error....and not just BS. Your personal opinion on lengthy & extensive methods of barrel break-in is most welcome, although it goes against what I have heard and practiced over the years, but that is up to you and I am certainly glad it works for you. As I said, do what you must. And others can make the same decision......to follow or not to follow your methods. All OPINIONS are most welcome. That is what this site is about.

I do not know any other way to say it. There is no "opinion" button, so read into it what you want. All posts and comments are opinions on my part.

At least I contribute comments & ideas on here (right........or wrong in YOUR opinion), rather than just setting in the weeds since 2008. And am thankful I could work in close harmony with many other kind souls on here to research, develop and define the PC methods we all find very successful today. Where were you?

And no I never said "this PC thing is not the way". I have always hated grease lubes...hate...hate...hate. I was glad some on here lit the fuse for the rest of us to start experimenting around to eliminate grease lubing all together.

I only point out ideas and comments as merely food for thought for others. I have never claimed to be an expert on anything gun-related here, although I am a recognized industry engineering expert on industrial process instrumentation and design which has nothing to do with this group. If I can suggest something that can save others valuable time and money, I will. If you do not like what I say, post some verifiable scientific or field-tried proof against what I have said, or just move on to the next thread rather than calling names. I always appreciate other's knowledge. But do not appreciate being personally demeaned.

Good shooting!

bangerjim

DeanWinchester
07-31-2014, 04:50 PM
Alright, alright, let's all calm down. No reason to get oil in our mold cavities.:brokenima:kidding:

DeanWinchester
07-31-2014, 04:55 PM
...and for what it's worth, if the guys on here didn't reply to my posts with criticism and opinions, many of which I don't immediately agree with, I wouldn't have half the success I've had.
Contradicting opinions have been what's motivated me to continue to try until I succeed.
I don't know that I've EVER posted a problem here and heard "What I want to hear" replies.

TheCelt
07-31-2014, 05:49 PM
No reason to get oil in our mold cavities.:brokenima:kidding:

I hate it when that happens!!!

Yodogsandman
07-31-2014, 06:52 PM
I'm thinking that the use of powder coating for break in would make it take many more shots to make the process work. Much more fun than cleaning your bore though!

Beagle333
07-31-2014, 10:38 PM
Wouldn't unlubed paper patched boolits shine a new bore up faster?

KennethF
07-31-2014, 11:29 PM
I do not know about paper patching, you are telling the story so go right ahead and tell it. I have heard though that veggie oil is good also to ease things that shouldn't fit into tight places into tight places, try that and tell us how that worked out for you. I am through with this thread so I won't be seeing any more humorous comments about my original serious, helpful subject. Good by.

gpidaho
07-31-2014, 11:53 PM
Just got here Banger J. Did you you pee in kennys oatmeal dang it?

Bzcraig
08-01-2014, 12:04 AM
Kenneth... The last line of your OP asked, "what do you thing," though I believe you meant 'think.' It seems you asked for opinions and when you read the responses were offended. With all the sincerity the written word can communicate, did you really want opinions or were you seeking validation?

Beagle333
08-01-2014, 06:03 AM
I do not know about paper patching, you are telling the story so go right ahead and tell it.

Man, do I know when to enter a thread or what!? That was my first post here. :violin:

I don't even paper patch.... I just read that they will really burnish up a bore.

sbeatty1983
08-01-2014, 06:20 AM
If you can find load data for the caliber you are shooting , hodgdon's new CFE223 powder does as claimed and helps with copper fowling. 150rnds through my AR the other day and my bore was cleaner than when I started

smokesahoy
08-02-2014, 02:12 AM
Somebody not firing on all cylinders here. Zero to regret in no time at all.

They were just trying to help you out. You got sand in your- well it's pointless because you already took your toys and went home. Well maybe you were just having a bad day.

If you are still reading this thread, people were just doing what you asked, giving you opinions. So they don't agree, so what. Do some experiments, document the findings and report back. You could be right and you could really help the community. Or not, w/e.