PDA

View Full Version : Son headed to Sydney in October

Newtire
07-31-2014, 05:35 AM
Hi,

My son just started working for a company with offices in Sydney. They are sending him down there for a year. Being ex-navy, I know things can get lonesome and when you have no idea about how to go about getting into something like shooting (which he loves) in a place far away from home, a guy can feel downright mired.

Any of you folks down there have any suggestions?

He's a big fun loving guy 26 years old in October and will be headed that way just shortly after his birthday. I'm sure he would buy a beer or 2 for someone willing to give him any advice you could to keep him out of trouble with the local Constables.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Calvin aka Newtire

gsdelong
07-31-2014, 11:10 AM
Head straight to Bondi beach.

Wal'
07-31-2014, 11:23 AM
I'm sure someone from the Sydney area will be along soon, I'm about 600 miles south of Sydney so not much help.

Its winter down here at the moment, so Bondi not such a good idea this time of year, best wait for summer.

gsdelong
07-31-2014, 02:58 PM
He is going in October or. November great weather at the beach.

Echo
07-31-2014, 09:34 PM
My son worked a year & 1/2 @ Hawker/DeHavilland designing the Notar Helicopter - and could probably give some good advice. Criminy - that was over 20 years ago! Maybe not...

Gelandangan
07-31-2014, 10:53 PM
Plenty of nice place to visit in Sydney.
Depends on what he like to do.
The weather is usually warm in October, beaches are fun to visit.
For outdoor type, there are LOTS of buskwalking trails and parks all around the outskirt of Sydney
Shooting and hunting might be a problem unless you get a temporary license see the following link http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/services/firearms/permits/firearms_permits/overseas_temporary_safari_tourhunting

Sydney is a tourist friendly place, just enjoy yourself.

Norbrat
07-31-2014, 11:12 PM
He should be able to shoot borrowed guns at a club.

I did that while in Germany for 6 months. I just walked in, introduced myself, and they were happy to let me use a GP100 as long as I paid for the ammo.

Google "public shooting club Sydney" and you will find some info.

As he will be in Oz for a year, hopefully he will get a chance to travel a bit as well. We are about to move to Airlie Beach in Queensland, a popular tourist destination, especially for young backpackers, etc. If he is going to be up that way, send me a PM and we may be able to organise some shooting for him.

Gelandangan
07-31-2014, 11:25 PM
NSW firearms law is a bit different from SA law I guess.

In NSW, recent law said unlicensed visitor must fill FAR form P650 before allowed to handle firearms and it is unlikely that you can use a centerfire gun such as GP100.
I believe unlicensed visitor can only use .177 air or .22 LR guns with one on one supervision.
I am not a legal eagle, visit and ask the relevant regulatory department would safe a lot of grief.

sthwestvictoria
08-01-2014, 04:04 AM
I am likewise 600km south of Sydney, living an hour and forty five minutes drive north of Melbourne. Would be happy to put him up if he came this way.
Would you like me to re-post this to the Australian forums http://shootingaustralia.net/forum/recent or http://www.australianhunting.net if nobody from Sydney chimes in.

Newtire
08-01-2014, 05:55 AM
I am likewise 600km south of Sydney, living an hour and forty five minutes drive north of Melbourne. Would be happy to put him up if he came this way.
Would you like me to re-post this to the Australian forums http://shootingaustralia.net/forum/recent or http://www.australianhunting.net if nobody from Sydney chimes in.
Wow, thanks alot, sure wouldn't hurt I figure. Let me check with my son on that and he can respond directly to your great offer.

Newtire
08-01-2014, 05:57 AM
Thanks all for your responses. I'm going to forward this link to him to peruse and let him make up his own mind. I'm always grateful for the help you get on this forum. Thanks a million everyone!

jaysouth
08-01-2014, 07:52 PM
Is he single? Does he like beer or wine? If yes to both, he could be gone for a long long time.

gsdelong
08-01-2014, 08:08 PM
One of my favorite places in the world is Pebbly Beach about 4 hours from there. You can Google it and look at it on Google Earth ruined me on beaches forever.

Four Fingers of Death
08-03-2014, 06:54 AM
I answered your PM Newtire, but it bounced as your inbox is full. Delete a few messages and drop me a line when you do.

There are no firearms specified in the regulations, so restricting you to air guns and 22s would be a club decision. We let you shoot anything that's legal at our club.

Provision can be made for o/s visitors to hunt as well. I will get the low down from the registry tomorrow.

I am 200kms (120miles) west of Sydney, but visit there regularly and have a lot of contacts at some of the ranges there. We will organise something.

JeffinNZ
08-03-2014, 06:24 PM
Head straight to Bondi beach.

Nah, the place is crawling in Kiwi's.

gsdelong
08-03-2014, 08:36 PM
Nothing the matter with Kiwis spent a great 2 weeks in Auckland. Still remember down town when the signal changed everybody walked on the diagonal. Why wait:bigsmyl2:

Four Fingers of Death
08-03-2014, 09:31 PM
They do that in Victoria, the State south of here, but it is not allowed here in my State where it is called 'Jaywalking.'

Newtire
08-04-2014, 11:59 PM
Thanks for your kind offers everyone. If I had enough money, I'd go disguised as my son-no wait...little age thing to work out. I'll just say that I've had a rough life...

Four Fingers of Death
08-05-2014, 04:17 AM
Did you clear a few messages out of your inbox Newtire?

Newtire
08-05-2014, 08:14 AM
Did you clear a few messages out of your inbox Newtire?Yeah, I did!