PDA

View Full Version : roll crimp die option

Markbo
07-30-2014, 09:47 PM
I have done the vast majority of .45 Colt loading on my D Dillon. Doing several different test loads is easier on my my Lyman turret press. The Lyman .45 colt die only has a taper crimp so I got a Lee factory crimp. It can apply a really tight crimp right at the case mouth but it is not a pretty roll crimp-it is just a flat area. Will this matter at all or do you recommend a different crimp die brand?

pworley1
07-30-2014, 10:08 PM
Unless you are shooting them in a lever action or other tube magazine, I would suggest using as little crimp as possible. If you need the crimp, the Lee die should be fine.

MT Chambers
07-30-2014, 11:38 PM
Something is wrong as the Lyman seating die in .45 Colt's is made to roll crimp, something required for the past 140 years or so and those Lee dies weren't around for most of it!!

MtGun44
07-31-2014, 12:40 AM
Lee factory crimp die is a post-seating sizer and a crimp die. IMO the sizer is entirely unnecessary and sometimes
harmful because it sizes down the boolit in the case. Some folks swear by them, many folks swear
at them. I would not own one.

I suggest a Lee or any other brand crimp only die, and for revolvers, most die
sets use a roll crimp form, but if you are using boolits without a crimp groove, a
TC can be better.

Bill

Markbo
07-31-2014, 01:37 PM
To be honest I never even considered using a bullet without a crimp groove in .45 revolvers. And as far as using 'as little crimp as possible' everything I have ever read and any advice I have ever gotten is to use a good firm roll crimp for revolvers. I don't know if there is anything wrong with the Lyman die or not... I just know what it looks like after I use it and it is not a roll crimp. The only reloading shop around me only carries Lee and they only have the one factory crimp die. I guess I'll shop for another on the WWW.

cuzinbruce
07-31-2014, 02:43 PM
I have been very happy with Redding Profile Crimp dies in other cals. .44Mag, .38/.357, .32/20. All for revolvers. They do a very good roll crimp. It does add another step to the process. Seat, then crimp, with different dies.

mdi
07-31-2014, 03:01 PM
Something is wrong as the Lyman seating die in .45 Colt's is made to roll crimp, something required for the past 140 years or so and those Lee dies weren't around for most of it!!
Agreed!

W.R.Buchanan
08-02-2014, 02:17 PM
What I have done before with a Lee .45-70 die set and other calibers as well, was to buy an extra Seating Die and remove the seating stem which effectively makes the die a Roll Crimp Die.

You could do the same thing with your .45 LC dies. Just order another seating die from Titan Reloading for $10-15 . It would be at your door in 2-3 days. and probably for less than your LGS will sell it to you.

http://www.titanreloading.com/index.php?route=common/home

Another plug for Dennis!

Randy

Markbo
08-03-2014, 12:32 AM
Well as usual you guys were right. I took it apart thinking I'd clean it and see and in it was some old dry hard lube and some bullet shavings. All that gunk simply covered over the ring. A few different cleaners, picks and a bore brush got it cleaned. Put it back together and set it up all over again and a beautiful little roll crimp. 100% better than the Lee factory crimp which just made as big flat/swaging crimp. Returned it. Thanks everyone!

Lloyd Smale
08-03-2014, 08:08 AM
same here. I do it for all my pistol loading.
What I have done before with a Lee .45-70 die set and other calibers as well, was to buy an extra Seating Die and remove the seating stem which effectively makes the die a Roll Crimp Die.

You could do the same thing with your .45 LC dies. Just order another seating die from Titan Reloading for $10-15 . It would be at your door in 2-3 days. and probably for less than your LGS will sell it to you.

http://www.titanreloading.com/index.php?route=common/home

Another plug for Dennis!

Randy