PDA

View Full Version : Having a heck of a time crimping the Lee TL-430-240-SWC

Animal
07-30-2014, 09:09 PM
I've worked up 2 similar loads with this boolit and Red Dot. I tested a load with a light roll crimp and then worked up another load with a heavy roll crimp. My gun seems to like the heavy crimp a little better. For some reason, the rounds drop into the chamber much easier, and seem to shoot more accurate.

Gun=CA Target Bulldog .44 special

But, how the heck do ya crimp this boolit??? The boolit is a Tumble Lube design and no cannelure is present. I've been crimping inside the first microgroove on the fore end of the boolit. This seems to work about 75% of the time, but the OAL shortens on the other 25%. I seat the boolit to 1.492 and generally, when things are right, my OAL maintains 1.490-1.492 after applying the roll crimp (i seat and crimp in separate steps)

On a few, the OAL seems to drop to 1.485ish after applying the roll crimp. This is my first time messing around with a TL design, so maybe I'm doing something wrong?

All of my brass is trimmed to 1.154 to 1.155.

Since this is a Lee design, should I attempt to use an FCD?

osteodoc08
07-30-2014, 09:43 PM
Check for build up in your dies. Otherwise, I wouldn't be concerned over 0.005" difference.

Animal
07-30-2014, 10:17 PM
Well, they are new dies... but maybe they are ready for a cleaning.

Curious... .005 is usually acceptable? I'm pretty new to this craft, maybe I'm a little gun-shy. I usually get all stressed out at .002. But then again, I've never had anyone with experience sit at the bench with me while I pull the lever.

BK7saum
07-30-2014, 10:29 PM
Really I wouldn't worry about that little if a difference. If you start getting upwards of 0.005" then look for a problem.

Brad