PDA

View Full Version : Home made brass tumbler

just bill
07-29-2014, 08:04 PM
I read a while ago about using an ice cream maker for a tumbler.
If I do use an old one would it be better to use only one paddle for ss media wet tumbling? My thoughts are two would not give a complete tumbling action. I have many little gadgets and things to make a tumbler of sorts, however the ice cream churn seems to be the best/quickest way to go.
Bill

clodhopper
07-30-2014, 12:08 AM
My grasp of ice cream makers is a stationary bucket with paddles turning inside.
Seems like you might run into trouble if a long peice of brass jams the paddles.
Duke in florida has an industrial grade tumbler made from large PVC pipe rolling on two shafts. It has paddles glued inside but just brass and media rolling around inside. Great idea if you have in expensive access to the shafting and bearings.
I have a thumbler's tumbler.
If I was to buy something manafactured again, I'm thinking cement mixer.
Small ones can be had on sale at the local farm and ranch supply store.
A small one cost about the same as a thumbler's tumbler but has a much higher capacity, plus easyer to change loads.

just bill
07-30-2014, 01:01 AM
Yep, that thought crossed my mind, however I remember they did something to prevent that. I'll try to find the article again.
Bill

Found it, might re-think the bucket or pvc pipe.

tiger762
07-30-2014, 09:40 AM
I went with http://biggdawgtumblers.net/ I got a 20# capacity (of brass) drum with 22# stainless steel media. Add 2-2.5 gallons of water, quarter cup of dish soap and half teaspoon of Lemishine. Three to five hours later (judgment call based on brass condition) and it comes out looking like gold. I always deprime before tumbling to not only scour the primer pocket but also you really want the water to be able to flow through the brass and not form a stagnation point. Besides, seeing a mirror image inside a brass casing is just incredible. After you start wet tumbling, you'll never want to use walnut shell again. Heck, I had a Lyman 3200 and 30 pounds of walnut shell that I gave away. There really is no comparison. Dry tumbling always left a thin film of grime on the brass. After the cleaning done by the soap and passivation by the Lemishine (citric acid), it is clean enough to eat off of.