PDA

View Full Version : What crimp die do you use to remove the flare from an M die (.308)

jimmyUT
07-29-2014, 05:53 PM
Does anyone have a preference on crimp dies to remove the flare from an M die, specifically on a 308?
Would a dillon be a good choice, or is a lee FCD better?

John Boy
07-29-2014, 05:56 PM
Just use you FL sizing die without the decapper pin. Don't run the round fully into the die

jimmyUT
07-29-2014, 05:58 PM
would a Dillon Trim die work? essentially the FL size die with no decapper

Yodogsandman
07-29-2014, 06:15 PM
I use the RCBS seater die. Run the case all the way up in your press. Screw the seater die down until the case mouth touches the crimping spot/area and lock it down. When you seat your boolit it will automatically be sized back down to the original shape.

high standard 40
07-29-2014, 06:22 PM
I don't remove the flare from a Lyman M die, I leave it. In my opinion it helps center the cartridge in the chamber for better bullet alignment with the bore. If you have enough flare remaining that it causes feeding or chambering issues, perhaps you are flaring the case mouth too much. I say this in regards to a bolt action which does not really require a crimp.

07-29-2014, 07:19 PM
I don't remove it and have never have a chambering problem.
When crimping for a tube magazine, I use Lee's rifle collet crimp die.)

Tatume
07-29-2014, 07:22 PM
Does anyone have a preference on crimp dies to remove the flare from an M die, specifically on a 308?
Would a dillon be a good choice, or is a lee FCD better?

Any die with the capability to crimp will work just fine. As noted by John Boy, the FL sizing die will also work, which is how I remove the flare from my 9.3x94R cartridges.

Thank you for knowing what "flare" means in this context.

jimmyUT
07-29-2014, 08:26 PM
thanks for all the responses guys. I tried using my Dillon trim (FL die) and it seems to work just fine. I will now do some test loads as I finally got a hold of some Varget :)

243winxb
07-29-2014, 08:31 PM
I don't remove the flare from a Lyman M die

williamwaco
07-29-2014, 08:56 PM
I remove it when seating the bullet.
Most often but not always RCBS seating die.

Scharfschuetze
07-29-2014, 09:15 PM
For rounds to be single loaded (with a few exceptions) I just leave it as is.

For rounds used in a tubular magazine or revolver I just roll crimp as part of the seating process.

For rounds used in a semi auto pistol or rifle with a box magazine I use a taper crimp die. While a 308 taper crimp die will work for many 30 cal rounds, it won't work for other calibres. Then adjust the seating die's roll crimp to just kiss the flare so that the rounds feed well into the chamber.

runfiverun
07-29-2014, 11:32 PM
the Dillon trim die is waaay too small for this.
I use mine as a case sizing die when using a compressed load and a 308 jaxketed bullet.
I need the extra neck tension there to keep the bullet in the case.
airc it makes the inside diameter of the case 305 or so.

Dillon dies are built towards jacketed bullets for the most part [their pistol seating dies are the exception] their pistol carbide sizing dies are geared towards jacketed 100% function and attending sloppy chamber fitting.
their saving grace is their funnel/powder die [for flairing the case mouth] and seater dies as far as cast use goes.

jimmyUT
07-30-2014, 01:03 PM
112103yeah, after using the dillon die on the first loaded round, i realized it way too tight. I ended up just leaving them as some had suggested after seating with a RCBS competition die. SO I have 49 rounds instead of 50 for my ladder test, cause Im not shooting that one I pushed through the dillon trim die :)