PDA

View Full Version : Bubba'd M44 barrel

1911cherry
07-29-2014, 04:22 PM
I thought I saved a Mosin from bubba ,but I was too late. The bayonet lug front sight base was ground off and the end of the barrel was welded up. The roll pin holes on the front of the barrel are filled so I know it was welded, the crown is beat up too. I have no problem cutting a little back and recrowning, but is this barrel safe to shoot? I dont know how hot it got during welding , maybe lost its temper? I would like too reinstall a bayonet lug sight assembly , or should I cut the barrel off short or just get a new barrel? I will post pics later tonight- any advice greatly appreciated.

dubber123
07-29-2014, 06:04 PM
Personal opinion, it's fine. Barrels are not hard, and pressure is way low at the end of the barrel. You would see scaling in the bore at the weld point if it got really hot. Just my opinion.

Frank46
08-07-2014, 12:43 AM
Man hated to see that. Some people should not be allowed to have either tools or guns in the same area. I had two bosses years back. One would think nothing about taking a sawzall and whacking out a wall to make the room bigger. the other would run away even hearing a saw. Frank