PDA

View Full Version : New to me S&W 686 1988 Manufacture

robertbank
07-29-2014, 10:10 AM
Some of you may know we have a minimum barrel length restriction up here for handguns thanks to our friends in the Liberal Gov't. Well I scored a 1988 manufactured 686 with what was supposed to be a 4" barrel. As luck would have it the barrel length is a tad over 4.17" or 105MM making it legal in Canada. Every gun has a story and this one has a rumour attached to it suggesting it did service with US Border Patrol. I have no proof of this and it likely is just a rumour. The gun has not been shot much with hardly a scratch on her.

Here she is along side my Ruger GP-100. I plan on changing out the front sight with a Hi Viz FO or a trijcon front. I don't do much indoor competitive shooting so I may just stick to the Hi Viz FO.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a387/robertbank/007.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/robertbank/media/007.jpg.html)

The two guns have excellent triggers and there really is nothing to choose between the two guns. The Ruger may weigh a tad more and, by reputation, is hell for stout. The Smith will only be fed 105PF lead reloads while the Ruger will take on the heavier tasks when need arises. both guns are lasers off the bench with my 158 gr RCBS RN boolits and Berry plated 158gr. The Ruger handles the 200 gr Lyman boolits like it was made for them.

Take Care

Bob

Tatume
07-30-2014, 06:41 AM
Hi Robert,

I'm also very pleased with my 4" S&W M686. They are very fine guns.

Take care, Tom

Petrol & Powder
07-30-2014, 07:45 AM
Those are two of the strongest .357mag. revolvers ever made. Some people are prone to get into a Ford Vs. Chevy type debate over those two guns but I've owned both side by side and would gladly take either one.
The Ruger design may be slightly stronger but that's like saying it's harder to break a 110 pound anvil than a 108 pound anvil. They're both pretty difficult to break.

As for accuracy, they both shoot better than I can.

LE purchasers tended to gravitate towards fixed sighted guns. That doesn't mean a gun with adjustable sights wasn't a former LE gun but it would raise my suspicion to that claim.

You have two OUTSTANDING revolvers, Cheers!

harley45
07-31-2014, 09:09 PM
I have a 4 inch 686 and it is one of my favorites I've taken a couple of white tails with mine.

Fergie
08-02-2014, 10:53 PM
My 686PC is my favorite gun to shoot.

I'd love to get one of the Rugers too as my RH is the second favorite pistol.

Enjoy both of your's.

shoot-n-lead
08-22-2014, 07:08 PM
I have a 4" 686 and it is great gun. I personally prefer the Smith...but that says nothing against the Ruger.