PDA

View Full Version : How sweet it is...............

BruceB
07-29-2014, 05:03 AM
Been a long dry spell.... a VERY long dry spell.

Around February 1, 2012, I was hospitalized with heart failure. That was also the last day of my working life, wrapping up over fifty years of gold-mining. I was well past normal retirement age, but still doing a skilled and well-paid job with no intentions of quitting.... then, BOOM.

A long series of severe medical events, and a divorce, kept me from following my cast-bullet hobby..... until YESTERDAY.

Yes indeed, it was 31 months since I'd cast a bullet, until NVCurmudgeon got me set up in his garage with a herd of my moulds and the RCBS furnace.

So, at long last, yesterday I cast an estimated 1500-plus bullets in six different designs. All were in wheelweight alloy, except some LEE .45-405 HB which were cast in almost-pure lead. Those Lees will allow me to fire my new-to-me 1884 Trapdoor rifle for the first time, after owning it for several months.

The whole session was a great pleasure, and left me with enough bullets to put some of my long-idle guns beck in active service. I made bullets in .45RN, .38 SWC, 311359 for the Carbine, 311466 for general .30-caliber use, .44 LEE 200s, and the previously-mentioned .45-70 HB design.

Time hangs heavy on my hands, cooped-up in my apartment in a wheelchair and with no personal transportation to get around the city. Having these bullets on-hand will keep me occupied for a considerable amount of time, sizing/lubing/loading and then getting out to actually shoot them.

The world is a brighter place for me today. APPRECIATE what you have and what you do, and the people with whom you share the blessings. One never knows when things may come to a screeching halt.

Blackwater
07-29-2014, 06:08 AM
Amen, Bruce! I had kidney failure last year, and am recuperating from back surgery now. There's a REASON we're supposed to stop and smell the roses regularly, and it's because we're MORTAL, an' ain't goan be here forever! Even dumb ol' country boys like me can get that when it's put to us in such a manner. Good to see you back "in action."

500MAG
07-29-2014, 06:13 AM
Very sorry to hear you went through such a bad time in your life. Glad you made it through the storm and are on the mend. Better days ahead I'm sure. God Bless

762 shooter
07-29-2014, 06:35 AM
Well done sir.

31 months is a long time away from something you love to do.

07-29-2014, 07:14 AM
"KBO !!!", per Mr. Winston Churchill. Keep Buggering On. Hard to hear about your troubles but glad to see the spirit.
Best wishes, 725

Muskyhunter1
07-29-2014, 07:26 AM
Glad to hear things are coming around Bruce. Just remember God helps those who help themselves. Hey bud we are all here for you. Take care my friend and have fun.

NVCurmudgeon thanks for helping and being there for a fellow Caster. You are a Gentleman and a Scholar.

Paul Tummers
07-29-2014, 08:11 AM
Keep your head up Bruce! At December 26 in 2012 they took my whole colon out, afterwards I think, they have been a little too radical in cutting because I did not have cancer as they feared at first, but the story ends in that I now have a stoma for the rest of my life which is annoying quite a lot because it keeps me busy all the day and also a good part of the nights to empty that plastic bag. Still I am a member of a shooting club, cast my own bullets and shoot pigeons foxes and wild boar. Only thing I cannot do anymore is gutting a boar because bending over too much causes leaking of the system that does not follow the contours of my body when bending. There indeed is a life after 40 years of hard work for us, only one has not to look at what is lost but find out what has been saved for us and explore those things!

bedbugbilly
07-29-2014, 08:19 AM
Glad to hear things are coming around for you and hope that you continue to improve. Being laid up is no fun - been there myself a number of times. The important thing is to not give up but keep plugging along. Your casting session must have been a "slice of heaven" - nothing more enjoyable than casting and seeing your end product. Hang in there and continue to get better. It's the simple things like doing what we enjoy that i what is really important in life - unfortunately, too many folks take life for granted and don't take time to "smell the roses". Take care of yourself, continue to get better and know that a lot of folks here are thinking of you!

1Shirt
07-29-2014, 08:27 AM
Hang tough, and hang in there Bruce!!!
1Shirt!

Nrut
07-29-2014, 08:39 AM
Here's to a brighter future Bruce!

Boolseye
07-29-2014, 09:07 AM
Bruce,
Thanks for letting us know what's been going on.
As you can see, telling your story helps others to appreciate what they have, and
recognize what a gift every day is. The very best to you,
-Jesse

Shuz
07-29-2014, 09:23 AM
Bruce--"ol Pard", glad to see you're finally pouring the silver stream again! --Shuz

TenTea
07-29-2014, 09:43 AM
Best to you sir.

Be Well.

dondiego
07-29-2014, 10:29 AM
Wish I could come and take you out shootin' Bruce! Hang in there. You have a lot more support than you know.

Echo
07-29-2014, 11:15 AM
Sorry to hear of your tribulations, Bruce, but Fecal Matter Happens - and we should be flexible and resilient to deal with it - and you are. So there. Press on, mate.

07-29-2014, 03:40 PM
All the best to you, sir.

williamwaco
07-29-2014, 04:34 PM
Good to have you BACK!:castmine:

runfiverun
07-29-2014, 04:39 PM
woo-hoo hopefully we will be seeing some range reports soon.

for the new guy's.
Bruce does some awesome write-ups.
just reading his work will save you a lot of trials when you decide to work with the same or a similar rifle/handgun.

rintinglen
07-29-2014, 11:32 PM
31 months? And I've been bellyachin about 3 months, Bruce, here's hoping things continue to improve.

MtGun44
07-30-2014, 11:29 AM
Bruce,

Glad to hear you are doing better and getting back to casting. Great choice for the trapdoor boolit, too.
I hope things go smoother in the future and you can get to the range and send those boolits downrange.

Best wishes, sir, always enjoy your posts. Keep them coming, your experience is valued.

Bill

casterofboolits
08-02-2014, 11:16 AM
Hang in there and do what you can for enjoyment. I had a stroke, then bypass surgery, then Veinal thrombosis in both legs, then a second stroke. I'm still casting, loading and shooting. Not as much as I want, but that's life.

Pb Burner
08-02-2014, 11:48 AM
I'm happy you got to do some casting. And my thanks to NVCurmudgeon for the help and friendship he has shown for a fellow caster and shooter. I hope you can get to the range soon!

"APPRECIATE what you have and what you do, and the people with whom you share the blessings. One never knows when things may come to a screeching halt."
And as I've had a bit of a rocky road lately, thanks for putting things into perspective for me! Hang in there Bruce.