PDA

View Full Version : Case prep station

Mauser48
07-28-2014, 03:51 PM
Anyone used the rcbs case prep station? Lookin into getting one. I will be using it for regular deburring and removing military primer pocket crimps. How good does it work?

Guardian
07-28-2014, 05:14 PM
I've had one for several years. In my opinion, it works well and the speed is perfect for deburring, primer pocket cleaning, flash hole deburring/uniforming, and such. The speed is much too slow for primer pocket uniforming. It's also a bit lacking in torque. I swage military crimps, so I can't comment on that specific use.

It is nice to set up multiple tools and cycle the brass through them all, so that you are only handling each piece once; however, it's still a slow process.

When I bought mine, RCBS was the only company producing such. While I haven't used one, the new Frankford Arsenal unit looks to be better suited to the task. Also, RCBS has a new trimmer with the case prep center built in: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/135727/rcbs-universal-case-prep-center-110-volt.

Sweetpea
07-28-2014, 05:20 PM
It works well for prep work, but the primer crimp remover is kind of a joke...

I swage mine with the kit from C4HD, I use to have the one from RCBS, but I sent it down the road.

David2011
07-29-2014, 01:39 AM
I have a Lyman. It really does speed up case prep, especially for large batches. The inside and outside chamfer cutters are good but the primer pocket cleaners/reamers leave much to be desired. It accepts the Hornady tools including their primer pocket reamers which are excellent tools. It's pretty quiet, has 5 stations and has plenty of power.

David

JWT
07-29-2014, 02:29 AM
I've used the RCBS for maybe 10000 rounds. Works good for chamfering and primer pocket cleaning. The drive train in mine has started squeaking. I suspect it is from the abrasive dust from the primer cleaning getting into the plastic gears. It's a huge improvement over case prep by hand tool.

cummins05
07-29-2014, 10:01 AM
i just bought or had bought for me the new rcbs case prep center/ trimmer and ill tell you its awesome i have used the heck out only complaint i have is that all the gears for the individual stations are plastic other than that its awesome

GrantA
07-29-2014, 02:21 PM
I love mine! It sits right next to a benchtop drill press which has a Lee cutter chucked up for the case length gauges. My case prep station has a VLD inside chamfer, regular outside chamfer, RCBS flash hole deburring tool, and primer pocket uniformer. I hit the uniformer first, and can feel if it needs to be swaged. When I get a handful to swage I step over to the press with CH4D setup and knock those out then go back to the prep center. Uniform primer pocket, debur flash hole, attach Lee lock stud and trim to length on the drill press, chamfer and it's ready to roll!

troyboy
07-29-2014, 10:12 PM
Mine does everything it was designed to do. I have purchased the RCBS prep center twice and would do so again. Highly recommend. The Hornandy looks excellent but for the price, a mini lathe would be a better option. For the money the RCBS unit is in class by itself.

dromia
07-31-2014, 02:29 AM
I've been using the Lyman for a couple of years now and find it to be excellent.

Moonman
07-31-2014, 06:46 AM
I have a Lyman and like it.

Garyshome
07-31-2014, 07:02 AM
Lots of $$$$$$. That's why I don't have one.

Djs3909
08-03-2014, 03:11 PM
I have the RCBS. don't feel like the stock cutters are the best. I'm going to buy carbide replacements

gpidaho
08-03-2014, 04:48 PM
I have owned a RCBS prep station for quite a while. The gears just aren't strong enough for any major tasking after working primer pockets, squaring up the bottoms to proper depth mine really grinds and howls. I bought a LYMAN this time and am just using the RCBS to clean primer pockets. While I have had good luck with their Press and dies about every thing electrical that I have bought from RCBS has been an expensive disappointment. GP

troyboy
08-04-2014, 07:51 PM
I want to hear from the Hornady users. The machine looks excellent

Mauser48
11-28-2015, 03:07 PM
As an update I finally got around to buying one. I chose the lyman because it was on sale at cabelas and it comes with all the tools. I will be posting a review soon. Thanks

mac60
11-29-2015, 12:01 AM
I have owned a RCBS prep station for quite a while. The gears just aren't strong enough for any major tasking after working primer pockets, squaring up the bottoms to proper depth mine really grinds and howls. I bought a LYMAN this time and am just using the RCBS to clean primer pockets. While I have had good luck with their Press and dies about every thing electrical that I have bought from RCBS has been an expensive disappointment. GP

I'd have to agree with you. I have the case prep center and the motorized case trimmer, and both of them quit after several years of use. I bought the Lyman case prep center and IMO it's a better tool.

Charlie in Co
11-29-2015, 12:19 AM
I got the Frankford Arsenal prep center and it is working great.

David2011
11-30-2015, 09:42 PM
As an update I finally got around to buying one. I chose the lyman because it was on sale at cabelas and it comes with all the tools. I will be posting a review soon. Thanks

Adding the Hornady crimp cutters makes the Lyman an even better tool if you load military cases. They're made of tool steel and SHARP.

David