PDA

View Full Version : Cool use for an old turret press

David2011
07-28-2014, 02:31 PM
While visiting someone this past weekend he pointed out that he used Hornady LnL bushings on his Rock Chucker for sizing and decapping but for bullet seating he had all of his dies mounted on an old Lyman turret press. He said he always uses the same bullet for each cartridge and seldom has to adjust the dies. The RC is mounted just out of the picture to the right of the Lyman.

David

dbosman
07-28-2014, 03:13 PM
That's a great use for a spare press, which just drove up the cost of flea bay turret presses.

multigunner76
07-28-2014, 03:50 PM
Ive got the same press mounted on my bench. I havent touched it in a year or so. Thats a good idea though. Set it up and leave it alone.

1Shirt
07-28-2014, 03:59 PM
If you only load 6 ctgs, and always the same blt, it is a great idea. Wish sometimes I was limited to 6!
1Shirt!

GrantA
07-29-2014, 03:42 PM
If you only load 6 ctgs, and always the same blt, it is a great idea. Wish sometimes I was limited to 6!
1Shirt!
Just keep multiples of 6 and you'll be ok, who says you can only have one seating press? :-)

John Allen
07-29-2014, 03:52 PM
I just grabbed a tmag on sale cheap figuring on the same thing for my cartridges I reload single stage all the time.

DLCTEX
07-29-2014, 04:49 PM
I havd an old Lee 3 hole press thatI have 8 turrets for that gets used for those and other tasks. Such ideas are why I rarely sell reloadingequipment, I've regretted selling too many items.

Green Frog
07-29-2014, 05:18 PM
Now if you can find an old Herter's Model 234 Press and have the 6 holes increased to 12... :roll:

Froggie

r1kk1
07-31-2014, 10:58 AM
I havd an old Lee 3 hole press thatI have 8 turrets for that gets used for those and other tasks. Such ideas are why I rarely sell reloadingequipment, I've regretted selling too many items.

i haven't missed anything I have sold. It was sold for a reason - didn't care for it. Hornady Apex, RCBS primer pocket swaging die, some Lyman stuff like their trimmer, etc., and used the 30-day money back guarantee on a plethora of Lee stuff but really like their custom services side.

I've tossed around the idea of a turret but can't think of a good reason to own one right now. Needs change. If I run into a Hollywood I would. Die swaps are easy when I use LNL bushings or the COAX.

Ive seen a T-7 with a set of forming dies in gradual steps. I thought that was different. I wonder if the T-7 would use any lock ring manufacturer?

Take care

r1kk1

44Vaquero
07-31-2014, 12:39 PM
r1kk1,
I am fairly certain you would be safe on the spacing issue with a T-7, the turret is generous in size/placement of the holes.

r1kk1
07-31-2014, 01:10 PM
r1kk1,
I am fairly certain you would be safe on the spacing issue with a T-7, the turret is generous in size/placement of the holes.

Thanks Vaquero! Still trying to figure out a use for a turret. Too many calibers and cartridges to dedicate to a press other than a Forster/Sinclair lock ring or a LNL bushing. Wish there was a LNL turret press. Then I would buy one!

take care

r1kk1