PDA

View Full Version : Out of the mouths of babes...

selmerfan
07-28-2014, 09:53 AM
My wife and I drove over to NE SD last night to drop our daughters off at the church camp I worked at as a counselor for three summers "back in the day". It's only about an hour from one of her college roommates who married a cattle rancher and they have three kids, one of whom we hadn't met. He's 5 years old, "Emmett". They hosted us for supper and I got to sit by Emmett, who is complete chatterbox. We're eating meatballs with gravy, taters, and green beans and Emmett and I are having a nice conversation. Out of the blue he says, "I know what comes from cows." "Oh really?" I say, "Is it milk?" Emmett responds with a grin, "Nope. (pause....) STEAK!" Obviously this is a well-adjusted South Dakota farm kid that has no illusions about what happens to the cute little baby calves that he gets to help feed every day. :) Made my day.

1Shirt
07-28-2014, 10:01 AM
A definite reality check!
1Shirt!

Taylor
07-28-2014, 02:24 PM
Kinda like my 3yo grandaughter,If we have to tell her to eat and quit playing around.I tell her to eat her pig meat or cow meat.

7br
07-28-2014, 10:04 PM
My great niece was tearing around the house after being asked to walk for the umpteenth time. My niece in law said "Lilly, what did I tell you"? Lilly piped up and answered "Chew your deer meat real good or you could choke on it".

southpaw
07-28-2014, 10:43 PM
Made me think of one my daughter came out with. Some deer ran across the road in front of the car and my boy asked why they were running. Momma said that maybe they were afraid that we would hit them. Daughter pipes up and says "or maybe they are afraid we are going to eat them".

They do come up with some good ones.

Jerry Jr.

Sweetpea
07-28-2014, 11:36 PM
We were in Sportsman's Warehouse a while back, I guess my daughter was 2 at the time.

The wife asked her if she knew what the large thing on the wall was, (Elk) and she replied DINNER!:bigsmyl2:

captaint
07-29-2014, 06:09 AM
Spoken like true carnivores. Makes us proud....

BruceB
07-29-2014, 09:00 AM
One winter's morning when my daughter was three or four, we left our wilderness home in the Northwest Territories to go shoot some caribou. (You don't "hunt" caribou there; it's just a matter of shooting however many one needs.)

Anyway, we found a group of a dozen or so standing in the bush just off the trail, so I told her to stay in the truck until the shooting stopped.

I killed three of them, and then signaled that it was alright to leave the vehicle. She hopped out with a big grin and exclaimed, "Now the fun begins!"

Yeah, she knew where meat comes from. Not only did she help with field-dressing those (and many other) animals, but she grew up to be a biologist, now about to graduate from University of Nevada (Reno). I reckon we didn't "turn her off" too badly on the whole idea.

shaper
07-29-2014, 12:09 PM
Our daughter and family were just leaving our house when a deer ran across the road. Grand daughter jumps up from her seat and yells, Hit it, we can eat those. I bought her a 22 rifle.