PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday at the range 9 - 13 - 05

Buckshot
09-15-2005, 12:58 AM
...........Man am I glad the weather turned cooler. And all of a sudden too! Yesterday was supposed to be the regular deal, which is centerfire rifle. Naturally cast and naturally also offhand over iron sights. I decided it was time to shoot the '84 Trapdoor again so I cased it up and put it in the trunk.

Then because there is a muzzle loader postal going on here on the board, I took the P58 Enfield too. The Trapdoor already had it's sights set from the last time so I didn't have to deal with that, and commenced to fool around with the musket. That didn't last too long as Glen and I started BSing about something or other.

Then Pistolero451 showed up and the next thing I knew it was time to fly to Rosa Marias for lunch. After the post lunch story, BS and Q&A period I set up my sighter and score target and brought the Trapdoor to the bench, and that's when I suddenly realized I'd forgotten to bring any ammo for it :D!

Well heck! It's only a buck so I decided to shoot the match with the Enfield. I sat down and lubed up 10 Lee 58 cal REAL's and decided 45.0grs of Elephant 3 Fg orta do it. I managed to come in 2nd shooting an 87 to Glen's 88. That 87 I shot included two 7's. I had four 10's and a couple 9's in there, and was sure regreting those 7's!

I announced my score and Deputy Al and Pistolero451 both seemed a bit put out. Deputy Al said that no one had said we were supposed to shoot, or were beginning. Huh? THere was crazy talk about getting the Rooles committee involved, but that died a quite death. Heck, who was supposed to say, "Okay boys, we're shooting the match now?" I think it was a ploy.

After the match was over I decided to buckle down and see about getting a couple 5 round offhand groups in for the postal. It was at that point that things went decidedly south. For some reason, the normally easy to deal with P58 became ugly, perverse, and altogether hard to deal with. I'll bet I had the nipple out 6-7 times, scraped the breechface a few times and completely cleaned the thing twice.

During some of this I did manage to get 5 rounds off, sitting at the bench. The 3 that fired clean measured about 1.25". The two other rounds needed help. One took 3 caps to go off and the other was a 'remove the nipple and prime' deal. Both of those hit about 2" lower but were on top of each other.

And as a matter of fact I ran out of musket caps, and probably fired more in clearing efforts then in launching Minie' boolits. I was bummed!

Yup Bubblehead showed up and he was SUPPOSED to have been there in time to shoot the match, but arrived as we finished up. I believe it's Bubblehead because he was in the Navy on a submarine. It'll be nice to have another join the Burrito Shooter group. As I recall, he has a pretty nice 45-90 Sharps.

................Buckshot

LAH
09-15-2005, 09:38 PM
Nice report Buckshot. Sounds like one of my days. HEE HEE