PDA

View Full Version : Applying graphite to mold tops, sprue plate bottoms, etc.

Maven
03-22-2005, 09:11 PM
All, Until recently I've applied graphite to various mold surfaces with a soft pencil, sometimes a carpenter's pencil. However, since those mold surfaces are larger than you think and the pencil routine gets old real fast, I began searching for a better way. (Yes, I know about Mold Prep, et al.) While looking for soft lead pencils in an honest-to-goodness art supply store in town (not Michael's), I found a package of graphite sticks, 4 to a package with each being ~1/4" around x 3" long. "Aha!" says I (to myself), "they're just the thing to rub on my molds!" They cost maybe $3, work like a charm and will last a long time. This is "the better way." :D ...Maven

Ed Barrett
03-23-2005, 01:15 AM
How often do you apply graphite to the top of the molds? I did it one time and can still see some graphite and thought that was enough.

Maven
03-23-2005, 01:07 PM
Ed, I do it only when the alloy sticks in the dimpled cavities. Soot from a candle works too, but it doesn't last as long. Casting a la Bruce B will also discourages "the stickies." ...Maven

beagle
03-24-2005, 02:59 PM
I had some spray moly left over from the "molying craze" daze. Coating the mould top, sprue plate top and bottom works real well in leiu of graphite. In fact, I often do it while the mould's hot...seems to cool it some as well./beagle

Buckshot
03-31-2005, 04:33 AM
..............Good idea Maven. Another good effect of occassionaly scribbling all ober the blcks and spreu is that you get rid of the lean 'sheen' that starts to build up on top of the high spots.

..................Buckshot

NVcurmudgeon
03-31-2005, 02:47 PM
Buckshot, That's a great new avatar, though it's too bad Toby's ears had to be left out of the picture. I never realized that you are as tall as the Duke! curmudgeon

Maven
03-31-2005, 07:43 PM
All, I purchased a can of NAPA dgf 123 ($7.71 locally) yesterday and will soon try it on a few mold tops, sprue plate bottoms and maybe the cavities as well. I'll report the results as soon as I get them. ...Maven