PDA

View Full Version : Lee decapping die and headstamp question

multigunner76
07-28-2014, 01:55 AM
Ive been decapping some military 9mm brass using a Lee universal decapping die. The die says its gaurenteed not to brake.Well I proved that wrong. This brass has a small beveled like ring that holds the primer in. Most are head stamp MM45 or FC96. Those do well 9 out of 10 times. I also have some MAL 8-85 headstamp. They will brake or bend the pins. It looks to me like the MAL brass hase a smaller flash hole. Any one have any experiance with any of this brass?

Norbrat
07-28-2014, 02:13 AM
Very common to have primers crimped in military brass.

It is possible to break the Lee decapping pin, but Lee will replace it for free.

I've even punched a new hole between the twin flash holes of Berdan brass with Lee decapping pins. That usually results in the pin being gripped and pulled out of the shank!

Brass with smaller than usual flash holes can do the same thing.

Whenever I order Lee bits and pieces, I usually include half a dozen decapping pins. At $3 each, they are handy to have in stock, just in case.

Once you have the primers out, remove the crimp. There are various was to do this, but I just fit the Lee brass chamfering tool in my drill press, and run it while I hold each piece of brass to it for a few seconds.

multigunner76
07-28-2014, 02:40 AM
I figured it all out. It was multiple problems. First and foremost the shell holder I was using was a lil worn. It wasnt centering the brass on the pin. Next problem was the small flash holes. The Lee pin was hitting it and just bending the pin over. I switched over to a Lyman 40-65 Die. It has a smaller diameter pin than the Lee does. So now the decapping id working. Next question will be will the smaller flash hole have any ill effect on the powder charge?
And removing the crimp is easy. I bought the RCBS swage die, it turned out to be too hard on my single stage press. I did some research and bought the CH4D smage and primer set. Best 40 bucks Ive spent yet. I will probably sell the RCBS set. I just dont like it.

zuke
07-28-2014, 07:10 AM
First thing I would ask myself, do I really need that oddball brass? You realize the problem now but when you go to reload in the future? I tossed a couple 100 S&B brass for the same reason

multigunner76
07-28-2014, 07:36 AM
This is the first time I have found this MAL brass mixed in. And lets just say I am set for life with Military 9mm brass. I was just baffeled at first last night. Ive been decapping this brass and swaging the primer pockets for months. Never had a problem. Its just the MAL brass with the small flash hole that caught me off gaurd. Honestly I love this Military brass. Just hate the MAL brass that I found in this bucket

dpoe001
07-28-2014, 08:33 AM
you will hate even more when you try to put primers in

mdi
07-28-2014, 12:58 PM
I'm with Zuke on this one. I have only purchased mebbe 200 9mm cases but I have about 1,000 on hand, the rest being range pick ups. I always (yep always) inspect my brass before reloading and set aside or trash anything I'm not familiar with. I'll give these "set asides" a closer look when I'm free from a reloading chore, and since 9mm brass is so plentiful, I'll toss anything questionable...

GoodOlBoy
07-28-2014, 01:50 PM
remember the recycle place buys brass, and often sells lead....

Just saying

GoodOlBoy

multigunner76
07-28-2014, 02:01 PM
Now that the problems are worked out its really not that big of a deal. Its time consuming, but I have more time than money.

Djs3909
08-03-2014, 02:40 PM
Make sure it's not berdan primed. 2 holes instead of 1. Broke a recapped that way. Not sure if 9mm is made with berdan though

multigunner76
08-03-2014, 03:00 PM
I have found only 3 or 4 Berdan primed in 1000 or so. I think thats what broke one of the pins. I went through Lee for a warranty replacement. Its so easy. Take, upload it to the warranty claim and presto. Two days later had new pins in the mail.

Ans yes its a little bit of a process but I am set with 9mm for life. Ill never need to buy any more. Just takes a little time to decap it and swage the primer pockets. Good thing my 11 year old likes to help. He gets a dollar per 100 cases done.