PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 10 and match ammo shooting

dtknowles
07-27-2014, 10:35 PM
I bought this rifle from a member here, thanks Historicfirearms.

I got some Wolf Match and Remington Eley Match a couple weeks ago at the local gunshow. I shot them today along with some other match ammo from my stash. All the shooting was at 50 yards.

The Eley Tenex and the Wolf Match shot the best, the Wolf Match I have is the same as SK Match.

These were the best in this gun on this day. Top target is Eley Tenex, I only shot the one 10 shot group along with a couple sighter/fowlers to save the few rounds I have. It is a 0.74 inch group. The other two targets are Wolf Match. The round target (and the other round targets) is a 5 shot group. I shot the 5 shot groups with all the ammo and shot 10 shot groups with the best ammo (except no 5 shot group with the Tenex.
the 5 shot Wolf group is 0.51 inches and the 10 Wolf group is 0.81 inches.

In this picture the upper left and lower right are Eley Sport and Remington Eley respectively. They shot about the same size groups at around an inch. The other two groups are Eley Club and Agila Match Target, they did a little better with about three fourths of an inch.

The top two targets are Remington Standard Velocity Target, both groups are less than an inch and a quarter, not much worse than the Eley Sport or Remington Eley. The bottom target is SK Match, I only had two boxes of that left and it is much like the Wolf Match. This group is bigger than the Wolf Match but it is really a better group as that is four shots in one hole. I can't call the stray a flyer as I did not notice anything different when it broke. I had three streamers out as wind gauges, all shots were with the point of aim at the target center, I applied no windage, just waited for the wind to drop.

I shot some Winchester T22, this gun must not like it, I really never had a gun that liked it. I shot two groups and they both were worse than the worse group here. I shot a 10 shot group with the Agilia Match Target, it was pretty good like I expected except that one shot was out of the group by an inch or more.

Except for testing the gun with some CCI CB longs in my shop (nice one hole groups at 4 to 5 yards) this was the first time out with this gun. I have to see if the trigger can be adjusted. It breaks clean but is set to like 4 pounds or more.

Tim