PDA

View Full Version : My latest PID incarnation

dikman
07-27-2014, 09:45 PM
I had a computer Uninterruptable Power Supply that I hadn't used for a while, and the internal Gel batteries had died. It wasn't worth the cost of replacing them so I was about to scrap it, but then I thought "Hmmm, nice case, although a bit big". So I stripped it, salvaged what I could from the electronics and cut a large section out of the middle. It's nice thick polystyrene plastic, so quite nice to work with. I glued the remaining front and back pieces together with Devcon epoxy, glued some reinforcing strips on the inside joins and also screwed them on. Should be strong enough.

I relocated my two PIDs to the top half of the case (which left the bottom half free for anything else I could think of), screwed a handle to the top and now have a nice dual PID unit (it's not as if I actually need a dual unit, but it seemed like a good idea at the time).

I noticed that when I use the casting pot outside there's plenty of light, but if using it inside the nozzle/mold tends to be in shadow, so....
I bought a cheap ($2) torch that had 6 high-intensity LEDs and ran off two button batteries (6 volts), turned a piece of plastic tube so that the end of the torch was a push fit, used a chair leg cap on the other end, with an on/off switch mounted on it and made up a simple stand to support it. I then fitted a transformer and a 6 volt regulator in the bottom half of the case and used a DC connector on the back panel.

I now have a nice light that can be placed wherever it's needed....and it was cheap (mind you, I blew up a few LEDs I had before I decided to just buy the torch!!).

Beagle333
07-28-2014, 03:43 PM
Neat! Dual PIDs could come in handy for those who use a mold oven for preheating.

el34
07-28-2014, 09:04 PM
Good lookin' rig!

Blanco
08-01-2014, 08:22 PM
That is quite the casting set-up you have. The dispensing system looks quite the up grade.
Care to share some close up pictures of that ?

dikman
08-02-2014, 06:45 AM
This do, blanco?
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?241314-My-%28new%29-Lee-pot-mods