PDA

View Full Version : 45/70 dacron filler?

762cavalier
07-27-2014, 09:19 PM
I am loading Laser cast 405s in a 45/70. I am using IMR 4198. My lyman manual says to use a dacron filler with this powder, all others don't say anything about a filler. Is a filler actually needed? what happens if one isn't used

Todd

fouronesix
07-27-2014, 09:47 PM
The more recent Lyman manuals don't recommend it because of fear, the lawyers or rare occasion of mis-using dacron filler or even the rumor of mis-use. Plenty times covered here on this forum and others. I guess if in doubt- don't. There seems to be constant debate about it, not to mention the continuing confusion many have about the most basic difference between filler and wad, etc.

NSB
07-27-2014, 09:52 PM
Good advice from fouronesix. I have the newer Lyman and some older versions and he's right on with his advice. Even if you want to use a filler, you really need to know the difference between a filler and making a wad. Most powders don't benefit from the correct application of fillers anyway. There's one gentleman on here who is something of an expert on this subject but I can't recall his name. Do a search and you'll soon see who most shooters defer to on this subject. Maybe someone with a better memory than me can recall who it is. I don't want to give credit (or blame) to the wrong person.

fouronesix
07-28-2014, 08:48 AM
Here's a sticky that has info on fillers.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?109280-The-proper-use-of-fillers

NSB
07-28-2014, 09:19 AM
Yep, that's him, Larry Gibson. A very knowledgeable individual. Good reading if you want to learn something on the subject.

1Shirt
07-28-2014, 10:05 AM
The issue of fillers is and will always be controversial!
1Shirt!

johnme
07-29-2014, 10:02 AM
I get great groups with my 4198, mag. primers seem to give me groups and standard primers gave me strings of shots. I am very careful on the weighing of powders. Tried the filler but just not feel right about it.