PDA

View Full Version : question on Lee's powder through die

kbstenberg
07-27-2014, 08:38 PM
I have been trying to adjust my Lee powder through die for my 45ACP without being to successful. My problem is that I can't push the case high enough on the expander to flair the case to accept a bullet. I can feel the case stop just short of the flair. When I push the case in further it just pushes the powder dispenser further than it is supposed to. And Jams the rotor and spring assembly too far forward.
I am using a Lee Classic Cast press.
My 44 powder through die works as it is supposed to but that one is mounted on a Lee 1000 press.

PS Paul
07-27-2014, 11:00 PM
Sure ya got the 45 expander plug in the die and NOT the 44 expander plug? I've made that same mistake before and it's an easy mistake to make.

WALLNUTT
07-27-2014, 11:29 PM
I think I had about the same problem. My new 45acp xpander(LEE) had a very abrupt shoulder,like a step. I chucked it up in my drill press and used emery cloth to make a nice taper to slightly bell my cases. Works good now.

kbstenberg
07-28-2014, 08:17 AM
Paul I believe before I used it I measured and marked it. But I will check.
Wallnutt the flair was a gradual one. But I will check that also.

mdi
07-28-2014, 03:29 PM
I had the same problem with my Lee die for 45 ACP. The taper for the flare ends in a "ridge". Before much taper/flare can be installed, the case mouth hits this ridge. I just had an old Lyman case flaring die so I use that, but if I had though of it, the ridge could have been taken off easily with a file with the part in a lathe or drill press...

kbstenberg
08-01-2014, 08:29 AM
Well I found the problem. I still don't know why it was working the way it was but it works correct now.
I had the center expander/ powder through thingy in a standard Lee Rifle Powder through die body rather that a 45 PTDB. I switched die bodies and it now works like it should.
Don't ask me why I switched dies when I set it up, I don't know why. Kevin

bangerjim
08-01-2014, 09:01 PM
Sounds like you got 'er licked.

I use my Lee 45ACP die set all the time with none of the problems you encountered.

bangerjim