PDA

View Full Version : Lube / sizing dies

stephenj
07-27-2014, 08:05 PM
since i got my new lathe one of my projects is lube sizing dies for my lyman lubrisizer

Nice simple project in theory.. but theory and reality often dont mix well
My first hurdle to jump was the fact that i have no real way to measure inside diameters .. and no cash to but tools . So i came up with the brilliant idea to make the bottem punch first at the dia i was looking to finish at ... problem solved i thought
Next problem was .. how to get the holes the right dia .. not having any reamers to finish the holes i decides to drill as close to finished size as possible and improvised a hone to finish . Brilliant.

So i make my first die .. lucky for me i screwed up and made my bottem punch a bit smaller then i wanted .
And it worked perfectly ... my .4685ish bullets came out perfectly at .468 and nicely lubed like i wanted .

So i got cocky and went to work on a .434 dia die to lube but not size bullets for my .41 swiss .
Made the bottem punch exactly
.434 like i wanted ..... ooops unknow mistake here .

It turns out that by the time a .434 dia punch fits in the die the die is already over size
But being cocky i never tested it
I proceded to make another die for .312
So today it rains an i decide to test my new die
Put it in lubrisizer add a boolit an problem
Lube is all over the place ..then the light turns on and i realize my mistake .

I now have a 435 ish diameter dia thats useless .. and just luckily my .312 dia is almost .314 so i can hone it out for a .303 brit

Lesson learned .....dont get cocky
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/28/6u3une6a.jpg

FrankG
07-27-2014, 08:17 PM
You can make boring bars from drill bits with grinding to shape. Look on enco and copy shape in size you need .

stephenj
07-28-2014, 03:48 PM
Thats a pretty darn good idea .i think i am going to give it a whirl when i head out to the garage after supper and start on a new .434 die

Im kinda thinking that after grinding for smaller holes .30 caliber and such a boring bar is going to be to flexible to work .. but i have a full set of fractional number and letter drills so i can get those plenty close enough for a hone .