PDA

View Full Version : Fun gun rediddling

ohland
07-27-2014, 07:59 PM
Things went in a different way today, the upshot is that I moved the 7-30 Waters carbine barrel to a G1 frame. Compared with the G2, the G1 sends tingles up my leg when I use the trigger.

Had to whip out a youth length G1 stock, boy-oh-boy, it is still quite shootable, but I wouldn't do it with a heavier recoiling cartridge...

Shot some on Saturday with the G2 frame and cracked / loose stock. Chalked the groups up to experience, as the frame was able to wiggle up and down in the stock. Not conducive to fine accuracy. Finished depriming, pocket cleaning, neck sizing, M die-ing and priming today. I have to set up the LAM II, size them and then stoke 'em up with 8.0 grains of Unique.

leadman
07-28-2014, 12:38 PM
The stocks are different for the G1 and G2. Any play in the stock or barrel to frame fit will really mess up the groups.
Might be worthwhile to loads several rounds with different amounts of Unique to find the most accurate load.
Make sure the shoulder is far enough back so the frame/barrel will lock up and allow the firing pin to do its job. I can usually get away with 2 or 3 reloads before having to push the shoulder back a touch. A feeler gauge can be used to check the case head to frame clearance on these guns.

ohland
07-28-2014, 03:50 PM
Any play in the stock or barrel to frame fit will really mess up the groups.
Might be worthwhile to loads several rounds with different amounts of Unique to find the most accurate load. Make sure the shoulder is far enough back so the frame/barrel will lock up and allow the firing pin to do its job. I can usually get away with 2 or 3 reloads before having to push the shoulder back a touch. A feeler gauge can be used to check the case head to frame clearance on these guns.

No FTF with the 7-30, even on the third firing. But these cases are not being pushed very hard. Lockup is still good. Wish I could find a used G1 stock to replace this youth length. My dad can't quite scrunch himself up to get the scope to work.

3leggedturtle
07-29-2014, 01:52 PM
Get a slip-on recoil pad. Helped me with a couple of youth stocked handi-rifles.